Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th July 2016, 10:10 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default An Attractive and Vicious Indian Battle Axe / Show Us Your Indian Axes!

The multitude of Indian battle axe styles and some of their strange, and dubiuous axe heads that sometimes make you wonder how they were used is a fascination for me. Just think of the many forms of the Chota Nagpur bullova axe.

This one is not one of the wilder more mind blowing versions of an Indian battle axe(in this case a saddle axe called a tabar, or tabarzine), but is aesthetically pleasing, very well made, and with a initially odd looking axe head that is perfect for a horseman. The axe is 29in. in length, with a 4.5in. wide axe head and a 4.25in. cutting edge. The axe head is beautifully forged from homogeneous steel. Note the barely noticeable temper line at the edge. The heavy axe is fitted with a steel bolster that is fitted on to a steel portion of the upper haft. Unlike some examples which have a steel bar reinforcement running partially down the haft, this one has a very thick steel bar reinforcement that runs down the full length of the haft, and is tightly held in place by steel rivets decorated with brass rivet covers. There is a steel ferrule at the end of the haft.

The axe is heavy in hand and I think would be a bit awkward for a infantryman, but in the hands of a horseman it would be deadly indeed. Note the subtle curvature of the blade's edge which allows for a powerful downward cut at an angle for maximum slashing, not unlike a shamshir, or a curved tulwar.

As a side note I am not sure of the reason for the humble chiseled area at the top of the blade that has been painted red...perhaps a armorer's mark?

Please join the thread if you are an Indo-Persian collector and show us your battle axe!!!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 08:05 AM   #2
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
The multitude of Indian battle axe styles and some of their strange, and dubiuous axe heads that sometimes make you wonder how they were used is a fascination for me.
Charles, I m glad I did not bid against you, I have a similar one and decided to hold off. Not a commonly seen style.

George Stone shows some interesting axe variations in his book.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2016, 07:22 PM   #3
estcrh

Indian axe, the very heavy steel head inlaid with brass and silver designs, the wooden haft reinforced with steel along its length and with applied brass rosettes.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 02:02 AM   #4
estcrh

A plain one of the same type.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 10:35 AM   #5
Royston

Default Tabar

That's a nice one Chearles

Mine has an all steel head and shaft with horn slabs.
Nice items. Not handled that many, but those that I have always seem well balanced.

The last picture is my Bulova collection.

Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 11:26 AM   #6
Royston

Default One more

This one has a very small, yet thick and heavy head
( That's a normal sized zippo).
The head alone weighs about 400 g which on the end of a 65cm shaft makes for a good impact.

Steel shaft this time with a one piece wooden grip rather than horn. Notice how it is not slotted all the way to the butt.

The brass ornamentation around the steel pins is almost identical in both axes.

Regards
Roy
Attached Images

Royston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 03:56 PM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Charles, I m glad I did not bid against you, I have a similar one and decided to hold off. Not a commonly seen style.
Charles, as you pointed out to me the one I saw was not the one you now own, I should have looked closer. Here is the one I mentioned.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 04:01 PM   #8
estcrh

Here are some examples from Junagarh Fort Museum, India.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 04:21 PM   #9
estcrh

I have found this type being called "tungi", Indian, mid-19th century, curved iron head; wooden shaft painted with geometrical designs.Illustrated in "Islamic Weapons - Maghrib to Moghul" di Anthony C. Tirri", pag. 339, fig. 254B.
Used by the Khond people of Southern India.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 04:24 PM   #10
estcrh

Here is another two "tungi", the top one is from Terri's book, the lower one is mine, it has a very long shaft.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 06:32 PM   #11
CharlesS

see below
Old 6th July 2016, 06:36 PM   #12
CharlesS

Some amazing displays! Thanks for the input and sharing examples. The riveted haft certainly seems to the norm. That is the first I have seen with horn inserts, and it's very attractive.

Royston, the brass bands added to the rivets must make for an incredibly sturdy haft!

With the "tungi" I just couldn't help but wonder if the axe head was on backwards, but I suppose not.

In the the display pics the more "traditional" axe heads seem to predominate, but the "L" shaped heads with straight line edges were obviously popular too. I have always found those a bit odd to handle. I am assuming there was a certain method to maximizing their use.

Thanks again for the input, and the great pics!
Old 6th July 2016, 09:30 PM   #13
Norman McCormick

Hi,
My one and only Indian axe. Rattan shaft with steel finial top and bottom. Blade still sharp with original red 'paint'.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 09:48 PM   #14
estcrh

Quote:
With the "tungi" I just couldn't help but wonder if the axe head was on backwards, but I suppose not.
The axe tungi axe head could have been made / mounted in a way that identified the individuals who used them as belonging to a particular tribe.

Here is another unusual example.

Quote:
Burmese axe with curved head and fan shaped blade. The head cast and painted black and red. Octagonal head fits onto shaft with turned wooden handle,painted in bands of red, green, yellow and black. Tear-shaped terminal, 740 mm (Length). Given to the Field Marshal in Burma. Gunby Hall Estate, Lincolnshire.
Attached Images

Old 6th July 2016, 09:53 PM   #15
estcrh

Quote:

In the the display pics the more "traditional" axe heads seem to predominate, but the "L" shaped heads with straight line edges were obviously popular too. I have always found those a bit odd to handle. I am assuming there was a certain method to maximizing their use.
Here is an L shaped Indian axe that I have, it looks like it originally had a spike at the top of the head and maybe some battle scares.
Attached Images

Old 8th July 2016, 12:51 AM   #16
estcrh

A couple more, described as being "Southern Indian".
Attached Images

Old 11th July 2016, 10:36 PM   #17
Timo Nieminen

My Indian axes (I have some unmounted heads, but I need to search to find them all for a group shot).

Long axes: The top one has a modern haft, but the head is supposed to be old. The bottom one is a beautiful 440g of axey goodness.

Short axes: The top and bottoms ones are modern. Second from the top is old. Second from the bottom is supposed to be old, but I think it's modern. But I like it anyway.
Attached Images

Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote