Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2008, 05:31 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Vanuatu, Torres islands knife

Okay it is not a weapon. These are food knives rich in social symbolism. From the most isolated islands. Not including myself, I am guessing there are at least three other members that may be wowed by this. Got it today in a charity shop for less than two pints, labeled as a page turner. I have added a snippet of supporting information from University of Hawaii Press "Arts of Vanuatu" There are four pages about the function of these knives, I would be happy to upload if any interest.

The spaces between the spiky looking bits on the handle indicate the status of the owner. They symbolise the ovens or hearths the individual is entitled to eat and sit at in the men's house.

I will stat a new page for more stuff.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 22nd February 2008 at 05:44 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Default New page

New page for larger picture.

Old 22nd February 2008, 09:54 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THANKS FOR SHARING THESE ,I WAS NOT FAMILIAR WITH THEM. THE CARVING ON THE ENDS REMINDS ME SOMEWHAT OF THE LOVE STICKS USED IN PARTS OF POLYNESIA/ MICRONESIA. THE CARVEING ON THOSE STICKS ALSO IDENTIFY THE OWNER OF THE STICK. THE GIRLS TAKE NOTE OF THE CARVING ON THE STICKS OF THE BOY THEY ARE INTERESTED IN AND AT NIGHT THE BOYS STICK THEIR STICK THRU THE SIDE OF THE HUT WHERE THE GIRL THEY ARE INTERESTED IN SLEEP. THE GIRLS EITHER HEAR A NOISE OR GET POKED BY THE STICK? AND FEEL THE CARVED END AND IF IT IS THE DESIGN OF THE BOY THEY ARE INTERESTED IN SNEAK OUT AND MEET HIM. THEY ALSO RESEMBLE SPEAR OR ARROW POINTS SOMEWHAT.
EUROPEANS PROBABLY THOUGHT THEY WERE THE FIRST TO HAVE PERSONALIZED EATING UTENSILS BY MARKING THEIR SILVER WARE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 01:41 AM   #4
fearn

Neat find, Tim! I haven't seen these before, and it's great to find out about the symbolism of the markings.

I've started thinking of these status-marked items as similar to the regalia from the Masons and other lodges. Perhaps this is a stretch (or my ignorance), but they're both initiatory, multi-ranked groups.

Thanks for sharing them.

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

On some Islands in the Micronesian and Melanesian region there are certain women that have access to the men's house for religious activities. These activities involve a little more than having the end of your love stick felt think classical times. The end note is an indication of the academic interest in such items.

Thanks for the interest. I am not smart enough to make a link to the file I have the pages about these knives in so I post them here.