Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd December 2008, 10:11 PM   #31
Michel

Default Humor and keris

Thanks Alan,
I love humour, but as you know English is not my mother tongue and I recognize that sometime I do not understand the jokes that are made, in particular when using local slang. (US, Aussie; British). But I guess I am not the only one, Indonesian, Pilipino and other German, or Dutch must suffer from the same handicap. I admit that in your discussion with Bram, I was lost: the mix of Indonesian / Javanese and English is difficult in itself, if with that you talk at the secondary level (as we say in French) you loose some readers !

Rick, thank you at least I feel supported by one fellow forumnite and understood by Alan ( this is very important for me as Alan has for me a sort of aura irradiating with knowledge concerning the keris !)

Take care
Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:41 PM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Again Michel, i must apologize. I think perhaps you are taking this "game" far too seriously. As Alan has pointed out, and i so inadequately attempted too, there are many ways to play this game and there aren't really too many fast rules. You don't need to be an artist to play and you can certainly use examples of keris that you have seen in order to determine what it is that you personally would like your keris to be.
I have certainly not mastered the "rules" of keris and i am sure that it is not a necessary prerequisite for this game.
I have not chimed in with my own person vision yet as i am still working that out. I think that i would like it to be of a Balinese style with a fairly full set of ricikan. I would like it to be 11 luk, not because of any Indonesian reference point, but because the number has it's own person significance for me. I would like the pamor to be meteorite because i like the significance of the mixture of "sky" metal with "earth" metal. I am still undecided on the pamor, but i much agree with you about the keris you posted, something percise and elegant, but not too flashy.
I am still working out the dress as well. Here also i would like something strong and elegant, but not overtly flashy. No gold for instance, but certainly silver. I think i would like the hilt to be a nice dark ebony with silver trimmings. Perhaps a very well carved kocet-kocet.
AS you say Michel, keep dreaming.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:14 AM   #33
Kiai Carita

So far, only Pak Alan has revealed the esoteric power of his dream keris - to make him win the Lotto or become a king of a small country.

What would other forumite's ideal tuah be?

I'm still thinking about mine.

Probably a tuah that would let me get away with anything. One that would let me enter airports and get on planes without passport or ticket, get in a hotel and get a room without paying, and that sort of stuff. Maybe then I could travel and see the world.

On a more serious side, I think that Pak Alan's dhapur kanghuru, pamor ron kulabah, with a wrangka of red cedar and ukiran of ringed gidgee, would be a very interesting and authentic Australian keris. It would represent the continuing development of keris culture, a museum piece indeed.

Just one more question on the Australian warangka; would it follow a Surakarta, Yogya, east Java, Bali or any other Nusantara ethnic style, or would it have it's own style, maybe a stylized surf-board rather than a stylized boat?
Kiai Carita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 07:35 AM   #34
A. G. Maisey

If it was going to be a wrongko Oz, it would naturally have to be inspired by an Oz motif, the same with the hilt. Maybe something like a bumahrang for the inspiration of the wrongko, and perhaps a representation of the Rainbow Serpent for the jejeran.

Anyway, whatever way we went, there are plenty of Oz motifs that could be reworked to fit the context of the keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:56 PM   #35
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
If it was going to be a wrongko Oz, it would naturally have to be inspired by an Oz motif, the same with the hilt. Maybe something like a bumahrang for the inspiration of the wrongko, and perhaps a representation of the Rainbow Serpent for the jejeran.
Is a bumahrang what we illiterate Americans call a boomerang?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 02:32 PM   #36
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiai Carita
So far, only Pak Alan has revealed the esoteric power of his dream keris - to make him win the Lotto or become a king of a small country.

What would other forumite's ideal tuah be?

On the other I have this area well covered so most possibly I would like something else...
Admit it... what else is there to want?

Thanks,

J.

ps. these pics are meant to continue the lighthearted mood of this thread and are not meant to offend anyone anywhere for any reason possible.
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:01 PM   #37
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Winters are long where you are Jussi ..
Aren't they ?

The tuah I would want would be for prosperity, popularity and the power to spread good will among those I meet in life .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:17 PM   #38
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Winters are long where you are Jussi ..
Aren't they ?
Oh yes they are. Not complaining though
Old 23rd December 2008, 05:56 PM   #39
A. G. Maisey

Jussi, my dreamtime keris was one that would give me wealth + power.

Effectively one equates to the other.

For what do we use wealth and power?
Old 23rd December 2008, 07:23 PM   #40
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Jussi, my dreamtime keris was one that would give me wealth + power.

Effectively one equates to the other.

For what do we use wealth and power?
Errrr.... to acquire beautiful... kerises?

Thanks,

J
Old 24th December 2008, 10:11 PM   #41
A. G. Maisey

"Is a bumahrang what we illiterate Americans call a boomerang?"

Yeah David.As with "coolabah" and "kangaroo", I gave it a Javanese spelling, and if you want to appear to be refined in Javanese, you never miss the opportunity to throw an additional "h" in where it sounds like it might fit.

Jussi, as for using wealth and power to acquire kerises, yes, I guess that is a possibility, but being a traditionalist, I think I would prefer to stay with the more traditional use of wealth and power.

You know , there's a story about one of the old time rajas of Klungkung, in Bali.

Every morning he'd go to a vantage point that overlooked the street leading to the market, and he'd peruse the women on their way to market. When he noted one that pleased him, he'd order his attendents to bring her to him later that day. Don't know what eventually happened to that raja, but I figure he might not have lasted a real long while. That was maybe overuse of wealth and power.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:40 PM   #42
Jussi M.

- up -

Any other dreamers here?

Old 13th June 2009, 03:14 PM   #43
ganjawulung

I am dreaming of a keris that could represent the style of time I'm living. So, it should be really brand new. But the "tangguh" could be easily recognized by everybody as "this millenium tangguh" javanese keris. No matter it is a keris with luks or straight keris...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2009, 09:15 AM   #44
Greybeard

Default My dream keris

Hello

My dream keris would have to be a simple one, well made and of good material. It would have to be a 13 luk keris (Sengkelat or Parungsari; luk rengkol, maybe Pengging style), harmonious shape all over, well executed ricikan; pamor beras wutah. Simple, good quality dress; planar hilt, gayaman style sheat with plain brass pendok, nothing fancy.

Regards,

Heinz
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote