Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th October 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Iliad

Default large Keris

Greetings all,
I have just now acquired a Keris which seems to me to be larger than normal. The seller (who probably knows even less than me!) thought that it is ceremonial rather than for use as a weapon. It is 25 inches long. The blade seems rather thin for use as a weapon. The Keris appears to me to have some age.
Any comments at all, good or bad, will be welcome. I paid very little for it, so not too worried about criticism.
Regards
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

A Balinese kris with the hilt in the form of Naga Sari (spelling?) who is a Balinese rice demon.

The dress is of recent manufacture. Not sure about the blade - I'll let the others answer that one.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 12:34 AM   #3
Sajen

Sorry, bad news. This is a typical balinese tourist keris, the pamor is not a real one. Handle is nawasari in correct spelling.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 03:46 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

I am afraid i am in agreement with Detlef. The pamor pattern here is fake. It has been painted on. This is a somewhat better attempt for a tourist keris than some. The form is a bit better and there is a separate gonjo, but i would still say this qualifies more as a "keris-like-object" (KLO) than the real thing.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 04:16 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

I'm sorry gentlemen, but based upon what I can see in the photo, I am not prepared to give this an unqualified designation of "tourist keris".

Yes, the scabbard and hilt are definitely manufactured for the Bali souvenir market, but not within the last few years, I'd place this work around 1970-80.

The blade is probably a plain old Balinese or Lombok blade. I've only got a photo to work on here, but I have never, ever seen a blade produced for the souvenir market that has had as much work put into it as this one. From what I can see, this is a genuine keris, however, a rather plain one. We must not forget that the vast bulk of keris were made for the vast bulk of people and the vast bulk of people did not have vast bulks of money.

However, to improve commercial appeal the "pamor" pattern has been produced by batiking the blade --- the pattern applied with wax, the blade stained, the wax washed off with boiling water.

In fact, I have now come to believe that keris like this one do have a place in a well balanced collection. Decent ones haven't been around in Bali for quite some time.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Jean

This style of ugly scabbard and hilt was still made during my last visit to Bali in 2007 but I agree with Alan that the blade seems to be a common quality one with some age and without pamor which was "treated" to make it more attractive. Personally I would try to clean the blade in vinegar which should remove the residual rust and fake pamor, and stain it again.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote