Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 31st March 2009, 12:05 AM   #1
Iliad

Default German Cavalry Sword?

Hi all, I have put a question mark after the heading of German Cavalry Sword, because I have been wrong so often in the past!! From looking at pics in books, I think that it may be dated about 1895(?).....Now some questions:
1. Is it what I think it is?
2. Why does it have a folding handguard? I read somewhere that it was to stop the handguard from rubbing against the uniform, but surely if the sword was worn on the left side then the flat part of the guard would be against the uniform?
3. Could it be for a "leftie"? But if so, then the left hand would be unguarded?
4. Are there any swords for lefthanders? If not, did they have their hands unguarded while using a righthanded sword with the left hand?
5. There is a dent on each side of the scabbard, which I read is caused by the wearer passing through swinging doors, which then closed on the sword trailing behind. Is this true?

I suppose that my naive questions may provoke some mirth among the experts, but I can cope with that as long as I get the answers!
Best regards to all, I get heaps of enjoyment from this site.
Brian
Attached Images

Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
kisak

1: I'm not very good on continental swords from that period, but late 19th century Germany seems likely to me at least.

2: Folding in the hand guard makes it stick out less from the body, making the sword a bit easier to carry. It might also be one of those "cool things" which sell items without being of much practical use.

3: By the guard, it looks like it's for the right hand.

4: I've seen a few left handed swords, but they appear to be rare. Up until quite recently, there's been ideas that using the right hand was the right thing to do (something sinister about the left...), so those who were left handed were simply trained from childhood to sue their right hand instead for major tasks. I'm not sure when that started though.
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Brian,
Thank you for posting another of your swords!
I have always thought these heraldic cartouches on sword hilts are most attractive, and as Kisak notes, the form is widely seen on a number of Continental European hilt forms.
I very much agree with yours and Kisak's assessment, and the eagle emblem is essentially the Prussian arms, as seen in the hilt of M1889 cavalry swords, and certainly some others of the period. This is not that pattern, and I have not seen this type hilt before. The folding hilt is familiar to me from similar officers 'gothic' style hilts in British swords of about mid 19th c. and the styling of this hilt has some similarities.

It would seem your sword is probably a Prussian cavalry dress sword of possibly turn of the century. The various German states such as Saxony etc typicaly of course had thier own arms in cartouche the same way.

I hope we get more response from someone who might have references that would give us a more defined identification.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
BBJW

I have heard the dent in the scabbard called a "train door dent". Also very likely the dent was intentional to keep the sword from making noise. A pic of the entire hilt would be nice.

bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

BJ,
Interesting notes on the 'dent' in the scabbard, and the idea of preventing the telltale rattle sounds plausible in some degree...whatever the case, interesting sword lore. To me it has always seemed that the unmistakeable sound of cavalry would be nearly impossible to mask, pounding hooves notwithstanding; the rattling of trappings and accoutrements etc.

There were of course also the covering of swords entirely in leather, in Mexico in the 19th c. to prevent the glint of shining steel in the sun. Actually more likely to prevent burning the hand with relentless desert heat and sunlight heating the steel to stovetop temperatures. This was done in WWI in Palestine and Mesopotamia with the British M1908 bowlguard cavalry sabres, whose huge bowls were entirely covered in leather.
I had one of these 'Allenby' swords (for the commanding general in those regions) once, a beautiful Wilkinson blade as well! It really was attractive (I love leather...and !...oh well.

All the best,
Jim
Old 1st April 2009, 07:37 PM   #6
kisak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
BJ,
To me it has always seemed that the unmistakeable sound of cavalry would be nearly impossible to mask, pounding hooves notwithstanding; the rattling of trappings and accoutrements etc.
The saber rattling might perhaps be more of an issue in civilian social life than in the field?
kisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 10:15 PM   #7
Iliad

Hi BBJW, thanks for the input, I always worry that my swords will be so uninteresting that no one will reply and I will be left looking foolish! So, all you wonderful experts out there, please humour this old guy and post comments on my offerings! Anyway here are 2 pics of the hilt and hope that they are satisfactory.
Brian
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2009, 01:02 AM   #8
BBJW

This sword I believe is called a Prussian Cavalry Degen 89.

cheers
bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 01:45 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisak
The saber rattling might perhaps be more of an issue in civilian social life than in the field?
Extremely well said Kisak!!! Sure is a lot of it these days!!

BJ, I think you got it

Iliad.....very nice...please keep 'em coming. Never know what tales a sword has to tell, and its wonderful to be able to discuss them here.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 2nd April 2009, 09:54 PM   #10
Iliad

Default Prussian Cavalry Sword

Gentlemen, as always you have been most helpful. My knowledge of the items in my collection is increasing apace! Many thanks.
Brian
Old 3rd April 2009, 02:16 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Default Keep em coming Brian

Keep em coming Brian,

I know you have some good ones tucked away, it is always good to see the expanse of topics increase.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote