Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th November 2011, 03:25 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Repairing Ivory

I've searched a bit through the archives to no avail. Can anyone suggest what kind of adhesive would be best for repairing a break in ivory?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'd be strongly tempted to use 2 part epoxy .
Very very carefully .

Sorry something broke ...
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

I've had great luck with 2 part epoxy and ivory.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 03:56 PM   #4
CharlesS

Battara is a professional restorer, so he knows what he's doing, but if you are not, and really want the restoration done well, I strongy suggest finding a professional that specializes in ivory repair. It is no small feat, and a mistake can make the situation worse. The real problem with restoration of ivory is maintaining the consistent texture and color of what is already there.

....again, no easy feat!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 05:29 PM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I've searched a bit through the archives to no avail. Can anyone suggest what kind of adhesive would be best for repairing a break in ivory?
Salaams, I looked up how to repair cracked or broken ivory piano keys and was impressed with their "fixing kit" and safety tips.... and another idea is if you happen to know a mate who is a dentist ! they have all the right mixtures and equipment to fix teeth ...and are reckoned to be the leading experts. You might want to try on a cheap job first as apparently it takes a bit of practice but even if its not perfect bad jobs can be cleaned out with a fine file and started over. Just tap into search on the web Ivory Repair.. amazing what transpires..Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 05:49 PM   #6
ALEX

David, it also depends on kind of "break". Age cracks better to leave alone and not to fill. if something broke into several pieces - the above recommendation will work. apply the glue near the center, keep it away from edges, not let it come near edges when parts are pressed against each other as you'll need to join them so the gaps will be as small as possible, then fill them with any light and washable adheisive of ivory colour (I use All Purpose Filler or Worktop Joint filler). if done right - it'll be unnoticeable. the same for repairs, see below pix, not the best restoration as it can be seen (the gap still needs to be stained). the top part of the handle was broken and corner missing.
Good luck
Attached Images

ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
eftihis

I had an expirience with my dentist, who is also a friend, and when i told him if he would like to fix "the biggest piece of teeth that he ever seen"! , he agreed, and he put the special paste that they put in the teeth for the repair of a handle on a cretan bichaq. However, the repair was not perfect because in the part of the handle that was thiner the sun light changed slightly the colour. But i guess if the part to be repaired is somehere else than the end of the handle would have been perfect! Dentists can make exactly the right colour.
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 06:16 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

No worries gentlemen, this is a very clean break and it is completely below the ferrule so nothing at all of the repair will be visible once the glue sets. Sounds like 2-part epoxy it is. Any particular brand suggestions on this?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 06:22 PM   #9
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Devcon 5 minute Epoxy.
You can hold the pieces together until it sets .
Every man his own clamp .
Use only on a hidden break; it yellows over time .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 06:47 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

I have had some professonial work done that was really very good. All depends on how in your face the repair area is. This stuff is very good as it can be thinned down with water so a patch or joint can be less obvious. It can be bought in "IVORY" I have not tried to add colour to the material but as it can be thinned with water I see no reason why you could not add a dash of water colour paint and test to match then polish to match.

http://www.milliput.com/about.htm

Well there was once "IVORY" but that is naughty now.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 11th November 2011 at 06:58 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote