Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th January 2024, 05:28 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Strange Shield for Discussion

I acquired this shield, was mostly attracted to its shape and construction. But I cannot place it to any location. Any thoughts on it?
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 08:30 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Lofty, here are a couple of links to follow and dig deeper in to. Nothing resolved within as far as I know.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14825

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22648
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 05:06 PM   #3
Bob A

Laboratory analysis of material and pigments would possibly provide pointers to location of origin.

Other than that, pure speculation would have to suffice.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2024, 11:49 PM   #4
RobT

Default Shield From the Start?

Hi All,

I don't really know anything about shields but, do many have such an elaborate decoration on the inside? Then too, it appears that the hand holds and hole for the hand were added after the design was made. It seems like a lot of work for nothing to make a complex design and then destroy part of it. What is the diameter of the shield. The designs look Japanese to me. I know this sounds crazy but could this item have started life as a Jingasa?!

Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2024, 06:16 AM   #5
Tim Simmons

I think you are right, a hat. Rather nice too. What looks like a handle is the soft head pad and the rings are for securing straps.
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/ori...jingasa-helmet
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2024, 01:27 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

I don't see it as a Japanese hat, I can see parallels, however, look to the detail of the handle and manner of the handle strap.

They are secured externally like the Somali Gaashaan and Ethiopian Amhara and Oromo shields, and share similar external profiles to the Ethiopian types. The knuckle pad and grip and straps within are distinctly different though.

With these examples under discussion, note one is clearly a cylindrical grip, the other a wrist strap, this feature is found in the others previously under discussion. Certainly not a hat to my eyes when looking at the pieces together and how they function.

I feel these are from the horn of African, where exactly, I cannot say, but lean more to Ethiopia as red was also a very popular colour on the inside of their shields and there was a vast array of styling within the shape of this shield type too.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote