Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2023, 07:00 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Garab/Talibong with deity hilt

For our records. This was a recent interesting Ebay find. 39.5cm OAL 28cm blade 0.56cm spine
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2023, 06:20 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I don't know an awful lot about these, but this looks like a very nice, complete pre-WWII example with a good blade and nicely carved features. It is interesting that this blade seems to have even more of an exaggerated angled bend to it that the usual ones.
I do note that the pommel figure has fangs, so i would say more likely it represents a demon rather than a god.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2023, 01:03 AM   #3
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It is interesting that this blade seems to have even more of an exaggerated angled bend to it that the usual ones.
I do note that the pommel figure has fangs, so i would say more likely it represents a demon rather than a god.
David, this severe angle of bend is seen in what we have been calling garab from eastern Visayas and, as I understand, is more common on older blades (late 19C to early 20C). It is a bit of a name game with this style of deep belly acutely pointed Visayan blades - talibong, garab or more generally sundang. Picture below shows it with the "classic" garab with eared pommel. I haven't seen anything comprehensive on the Filipino mythology entities, from what I read the stories differ widely geographically but with some common characters. I don't think they fall into god/demon categories like in Balinese hilts. This one is quite distinctive and of a style I havent seen, it does look quite diabolical with that fanged grin stretched into a top knot (or hat?) and vertically oriented eyes. Would love to learn more.
Attached Images

Old 30th August 2023, 04:55 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
I haven't seen anything comprehensive on the Filipino mythology entities, from what I read the stories differ widely geographically but with some common characters. I don't think they fall into god/demon categories like in Balinese hilts. This one is quite distinctive and of a style I havent seen, it does look quite diabolical with that fanged grin stretched into a top knot (or hat?) and vertically oriented eyes. Would love to learn more.
I suspect it is very much the same kind of classifications. When these have figural hilts they seem to generally be considered "monster" hilts and while yours is indeed distinctive, given the appearance, with a fanged grin and bulging eyes i would place my money on demon over deity all day.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2023, 12:19 AM   #5
JeffS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I suspect it is very much the same kind of classifications. When these have figural hilts they seem to generally be considered "monster" hilts and while yours is indeed distinctive, given the appearance, with a fanged grin and bulging eyes i would place my money on demon over deity all day.
Agreed, given a choice between a demon or a god, I would select demon. What I was getting at is that I don't think such a distinction is typically made with these mythological beings. For example, Bakunawa which is commonly attributed (on this forum) to horned and fanged pommel heads has characteristics of both - being very monster like but also a celestial being.