Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th July 2011, 11:00 PM   #1
eftihis

Default Ottoman matchlock tufenk

Hi, we have here what seems to be like an early ottoman matchlock tufenk musket. The piece was simple made and plain-soldiers weapon since its manufacture, and it really shows age and use. There is also a date on the barell which however doesnt seem to make sence...
I am also puzled about the leather-fur wrappings on the musket. THey are old and very much used, but did the ottomans had their tufenks dressed in syuch a fashion? Was it possible for this weapon tohave a turkish origin and then used somewhere in Africa? ANd untill when matchlocks were used in Africa?
Allthough the 2 big nails that attach the lower part of the stock to the upper part look very old and hand forged, other w"working time repairs" on the rifle have been made using pretty modern "factory made" nails, that do not seem to be older than 100 years. Is it possible that such a weapon was still used at that time in Africa?
Attached Images

eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

Hi,
This looks, to me at least, like an Arab matchlock with probably an Indian made barrel with goatskin used as barrel bands ? A lot of these had a long working life so I would expect repairs from different eras. The barrel could be a lot older and more interesting than the stock and fittings. Here are two that I have for comparison.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 07:15 AM   #3
eftihis

Hi Norman, thanks for your input.
The truth is that the stock's shape is very similar, since ottoman tufenk must have been the prototype that the arab tribes copied. However, i have never seen an arab matchlock so short, while on the other hand the janissaries had short tufenk like this size.
However, the goat skin goes well with arab attribution.
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 06:41 AM   #4
LPCA

Hi guys,

clearly, the Tufenk is the father of a lot of firearms from Maghrib (Algeria) to Middle East (India, Afghanistan) and Central asia (Uzbekistan, ...).
Norman have a sort of arabic Abou-Fitila (the upper) and maybe an indian torador (the lower) as may be yours.
They are tribes guns with usually indian made barrel.
See my 2 guns: one is arabic Abou-Fitila and the second, very near is Indo-arab (Malabar coast).
http://blade.japet.com/10-peninsule.htm
http://blade.japet.com/B-indoarab.htm
My website is in french:sorry, no one is perfect...:-)))

See U
Louis-Pierre
LPCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 03:52 PM   #5
rickystl

Interesting Matchlock. It does look like the goatskin was being used as barrel bands, or possibly stock repairs (?). The leather bands would not surprise me. But the fact that the goat skin still has hair on it is surprising. Very neat!! Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Vitaliy Pavlenko

Default Ask wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftihis
Hi, we have here what seems to be like an early ottoman matchlock tufenk musket. The piece was simple made and plain-soldiers weapon since its manufacture, and it really shows age and use. There is also a date on the barell which however doesnt seem to make sence...
I am also puzled about the leather-fur wrappings on the musket. THey are old and very much used, but did the ottomans had their tufenks dressed in syuch a fashion? Was it possible for this weapon tohave a turkish origin and then used somewhere in Africa? ANd untill when matchlocks were used in Africa?
Allthough the 2 big nails that attach the lower part of the stock to the upper part look very old and hand forged, other w"working time repairs" on the rifle have been made using pretty modern "factory made" nails, that do not seem to be older than 100 years. Is it possible that such a weapon was still used at that time in Africa?
Good afternoon. What wood is used in the muskets? Thank you.
Vitaliy Pavlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Vitaliy Pavlenko

Default Ask

Quote:
What length?
- All the wooden parts;
- Butt.

Thank you.
Old 7th September 2011, 03:41 PM   #8
Vitaliy Pavlenko

Quote:
Which dates from this century musket / tyufeng / yanycharka?