Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2011, 12:36 PM   #1
BluErf

Default Two Sumatran keris panjang of kapit construction

There's this thing about kerises calling their brothers. Very often, I get two kerises with some similar features within months of each other. One of such incidence was when I acquired these two keris panjang within months of each other, and both had blades made using kapit construction. If you look carefully, the base of the blade in both specimen are different material from the rest of the blade.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:38 PM   #2
BluErf

2nd panjang kapit.

Pls share if your panjang is of kapit construction as well.
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
BluErf

The second panjang is a short one at 16 3/4 inches long. It has a shallow central fuller running the length of the blade, and on one side, there are very clear akhodiat lines.
Attached Images

Old 23rd February 2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
2nd panjang kapit.

Pls share if your panjang is of kapit construction as well.

Hello Kai Wee,

here my panjang with kapit construction! Do you know what is the reason to built up a blade in this way?

BTW, two very nice panjang! And with good fitting pendokok (not like mine)

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 03:05 PM   #5
BluErf

In normal-sized kerises, kapit construction could have been used to re-use the remnants of an old blade (or to repair it). In the cases of these keris panjang, I'm not quite sure really... Maybe has something to do with the length of the blade such that it is easier to add the sor-soran area as a separate chunk of metal. I really don't know.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Gustav

Hi Blu Erf,

the second Panjang is really beautiful. On the first Panjang pamor on sorsoran looks like a Bintulu - mouth and one eye , or in this case better o)

Probably there must be simply more material on sorsoran becouse of thickness of blade there. Additional material could be welded on (?), if it is not something like V from beginning - the first one looks like this.

Last edited by Gustav; 24th February 2011 at 03:55 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
In normal-sized kerises, kapit construction could have been used to re-use the remnants of an old blade (or to repair it). In the cases of these keris panjang, I'm not quite sure really... Maybe has something to do with the length of the blade such that it is easier to add the sor-soran area as a separate chunk of metal. I really don't know.
Anyway, I am very thankful that you post your both panjang since this are the first other examples I see and I never know before that this is sometimes the case.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Gustav

For those, who like me don't know the meaning of terminus Kapit, I have found in the archives these posts about Kapit construction:

DAHenkel
Senior Member posted 08-27-2002 20:35
Kapit is a Malay word that literally means to squeeze or press. The keris mata kapit is, as far as I know, a Pattani blade that is made from two pieces. The lower or dapur section is cut laterally to accept the upper portion of the blade. These are then usually pinned into place. I've only seen a few of these and I understand that they are very rare. I had posted pictures of my own example on the forum, unfortunately the pictures aren't loading. Perhaps Lee can restore these? Otherwise I will have to re-send them.

MpuSombro
Member posted 08-27-2002 23:46
You are perfectly right, DAHenkel. That`s the keris I was talking about. You`re right too, Paul. It is a medium short keris that looks like a keris Sula,penyalang. DAHenkel, since you own this kind of keris and you are a man of Malay keris, I would appreciate if you could tell me [function] why such keris was made in this form?

DAHenkel
Senior Member posted 08-28-2002 04:35
Actually I don't really know why these particular keris were made that way. Probably a variant on the trusty cuff weld - different composition metals for different performance at different parts of the blade. It's an attractive design too so its possible that these were done for aesthetic reasons as well. Another reason might have been to mount an old blade tip - perhaps a European sword - in keris form. Its possible all of these were valid reasons for doing it. My guess is as good as yours.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote