Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 1st June 2022, 11:15 PM   #1
refraim123

Question cast lady bamboo cane sword

Newbie here. Recently inherited a lovely piece that I was completely unaware of, it came with a hand carved short wooden riding crop that GGgrandfather carved for GGgrandmother. It appears to be cast lead (soft heavy, but the blade might increase weight) top with a small brass "button" to release an ornate blade both carved out and embossed. The bamboo cane is common, you can see wear on the area one might hold it 3/4 way up. The cast female figure is just head and shoulders, but nicely detailed. She has a somewhat flattened nose and some embossed detail is either worn or broken off and a lot of dents scrapes which suggests somewhat heavy use. The blade has some rust but beautiful detail, notches, and embossed details. You can see it was cast between hair and ribbon where there is no wear, hmmmm that might be suspicious if the piece is intentionally worn. It will need some workk on the button as it is worn and can slip out of place, (where does one go to get that "fixed". A very feminine weapon so of course I love it and cannot wait to see if someone has seen something similar in their travels. I am in Canada, but family lineage is French and Scottish if that helps.
Attached Images

refraim123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2022, 08:58 PM   #2
toaster5sqn

Very pretty. I believe you will find lead is too soft to hold up in such a role. the handle is most likely a lead/tin alloy variously known as 'white metal', 'casting alloy' or 'muck metal'.

Robert
toaster5sqn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2022, 12:18 AM   #3
Rich

Please post a full length pic of the blade. Also a close up if possible.

I also have a bamboo sword cane (Japanese blade) which was redone with a stag hilt. Just interested.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, cane, figure, stick, sword