Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 24th January 2022, 07:59 PM   #1
shadejoy

Default Keris Maintenance

Looking for advice, directions or some of the best practices on how to maintain Keris; especially for owners who live outside of Indonesia such as myself. This includes how to care for the wilah, selut or mendak, hilt, and warangka. Thanks in advance!
shadejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 09:46 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I won't dissuade a new conversation from taking place here, but we have discussed this subject many times throughout the history of this board. You can try searching the archives with terms like "keris maintenance", "keris cleaning" "keris care", etc. and you should find what you are looking for.
Here is at least one thread that might address some of your questions.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...is+maintenance
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2022, 10:52 PM   #3
shadejoy

I may not know how to look up the archives. I did try 'keris maintenance' and 'keris cleaning' in the search bar with no clear results. However, thank you for pointing me in the right direction I appreciate it, David.
Old 25th January 2022, 01:38 AM   #4
jagabuwana

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejoy View Post
Looking for advice, directions or some of the best practices on how to maintain Keris; especially for owners who live outside of Indonesia such as myself. This includes how to care for the wilah, selut or mendak, hilt, and warangka. Thanks in advance!
Welcome Shadejoy

Here's a pretty comprehensive post on how to clean and maintain the blade:http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23934

Something that has not been added to that, which I think is a wise step to include, is to apply a slurry of bicarb and water to the blade, with a soft brush, after the vinegar bath is complete. Then rinse it off under running water, using a brush.

This is to deactivate any remaining acid on the blade.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 01:47 AM   #5
jagabuwana

David - what do you think about stickying a post about blade cleaning? I Think it would be beneficial given that the question is often asked and the information is spread throughout various threads, often with variations.

Here's my attempt at consolidating the information:

1. the blade under cold water and use dish detergent with a soft toothbrush to loosen any surface debris or corrosion. Often this will be enough to spruce up how it looks.

2. Dry with a lint free cloth.

3. If you want to clean it further, immerse in white cooking vinegar in a long container (e.g. long plant pot tray, wallpaper trough, etc.).
Check on it twice a day. A clean blade should almost be white, with no corrosion.

This process could take a couple of days to over a week.

4. After the vinegar's done its job, take it out and apply a slurry of bicarb and water to deactivate acid. Brush it in thoroughly into all the gaps and cracks to ensure there isn't any remnant acid. Then run it under cold water with detergent again.

5. Dry with lint free cloth and hairdryer.

6. Once completely dry, drench it in WD40, let it drip dry by leaning it point-down against a wall. Let it dry completely, then repeat.

7. Once completely dry, apply a fragrant keris oil.

Edited for additional step below

8. Wrap in plastic sleeve and keep out of direct sunlight.

Last edited by jagabuwana; 25th January 2022 at 02:46 AM.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 01:29 PM   #6
shadejoy

Thank you @David and @jagabuwana. Thankfully, my Keris is still in great shape, it's not a Keris sepuh but a kamardikan. So my question is more on how to maintain its pristine condition.

My question also expands not just for the wilah. But also how to care for the warangka, selut and hilt of various types of woods or combination of wood and silver and/or gold.

I agree with @jagabuwana. It'd be great to have one thread discussing this topic. This subject has been scattered all over. @David and @jagabuwana have provided me with two different urls, which proves @jagabuwana's point. I did type in 'keris maintenance' and 'keris cleaning' in the search box with no clear results before creating this thread. I may not know how to look up the archives.

So where do you think is best to pose my question?
Old 25th January 2022, 03:36 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagabuwana View Post
David - what do you think about stickying a post about blade cleaning? I Think it would be beneficial given that the question is often asked and the information is spread throughout various threads, often with variations.
I think that is a great idea. It should be one that covers all the basics and i will have to look through what we have and see what works best. Though it might be easier to repeat what has been said in the past and fill this thread up with all the answers to Shadejoy's question to make the most useful single thread on the subject for making into a sticky. Even if this thread just gets filled with links to past threads on the subject it will still put all the information in one place for sticky placement.
Keep in mine that Shadejoy's question was about more than just cleaning/etching blades. He asked about maintenance of the entire keris, including hilt, wrongko and fittings.
Old 25th January 2022, 04:42 PM   #8
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejoy View Post
I may not know how to look up the archives. I did try 'keris maintenance' and 'keris cleaning' in the search bar with no clear results. However, thank you for pointing me in the right direction I appreciate it, David.
Use the "search" function. Green tab, sixth option from the left. There is an advanced search option also if you want to try to follow a particular members evolution of thought on a subject. Very interesting to watch ideas and knowledge bases develop.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2022, 07:15 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Here is how you search the archives Shadejoy. As IP stated, you can use either a quick search or you can click on 'Advanced Search" in the dropdown menu for a more detailed and specific search.
Attached Images

Old 27th January 2022, 03:08 PM   #10
shadejoy

Thanks Dave!
Old 27th January 2022, 05:00 PM   #11
shadejoy

Default Cringe warning for traditionalists out there

I most likely will do this after a good cleaning and oiling, airtight vacuum-sealed.
Attached Images

Tags
keris, keris maintenance, oil, rust