Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th October 2011, 08:13 PM   #1
eftihis

Default PApoua New Guinea

A fantastic film about a tribe that in 1976 comes for the first time in contact with white people....

http://www.videoman.gr/7402
eftihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 05:12 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Maybe it's just me, but i felt an incredible sadness watching this film. This was probably the beginning of the end for their tribe and culture. Their purity was stolen from them on this day and there could be no return. And feeding them pure sugar? Really?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 07:41 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I TOO FEEL SADNESS AS THIS HAS HAPPENED MANY TIMES AND I THINK WILL NOT HAPPEN MUCH IN FUTURE AS VERY FEW TRIBES CAN REMAIN UNDETECTED. TO DOCUMENT WHAT THEY CAN OF A TRIBE IS GOOD BUT WE ALWAYS PUSH THEM TOO FAST AND MAN CAN ONLY ADAPT AT A CERTIAN SPEED. IT HAS BEEN POORLY MANAGED IN THE PAST AND CONTINUES TO BE SO.
BEFORE WE ARRIVE THEY KNOW THEIR WORLD AND HOW TO LIVE IN IT, THE ONLY UNKNOWNS ARE IN THE SPIRIT WORLD. WHEN WE ARRIVE WE BRING THE UNKNOWN AND INSTEAD OF COMMING TO THEM ON THEIR LEVEL AND MAKEING FRIENDS AND PRAISING THEIR BELONGINGS WE POUR ALL OUR MAGIC AND TECKNOLOGY ON THEM AT ONCE. THIS MAKES THEM FEEL LESS THAN WE ARE AND THEY BECOME DISASITISFYED WITH THEIR LIFE AND WAY OF LIVING AND TRY TO ADAPT TO THE EVER INCREASING WORLD WE DUMP ON THEM. THUS THEIR WAYS OF LIFE AND BELIEFS AND SOCIETYS ARE DESTROYED. THEY CANNOT KEEP UP AND LOSE WHAT THEY HAVE ALWAYS KNOWN AND IT ALWAYS TURNS OUT BADLY FOR THEM IN MANY WAYS. THOUGH THEY GAIN MANY THINGS RICE,SUGAR, METAL TOOLS AND MEDICINES IN ALL THE FLASH OF THAT THEY NEVER CATCH UP AND LOSE WHO THEY WERE. SAD BUT THE WAY OF THE WORLD

THANKS FOR POSTING THE FILM WE NEED TO SEE SUCH THINGS SO WE CAN CONSIDER WHAT IT MEANS. IT IS INTERESTING TO US BUT TO THEM IT IS SO MUCH MORE AND DESTROYS THEIR WORLD AS THEY TRY TO MAKE THE LEAP TO OUR WORLD AND OFTEN FALL AS IT IS TOO FAR AND TOO FAST.

LEST WE FORGET IN TODAY'S WORLD THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE AND WE THE COMMON ONES WE MUST LEARN WHAT WE CAN BEFORE IT IS GONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Maybe it's just me, but i felt an incredible sadness watching this film. This was probably the beginning of the end for their tribe and culture. Their purity was stolen from them on this day and there could be no return. And feeding them pure sugar? Really?
Have had the same feeling like you late yesterday evening. But I think that it was rice what they eat, no sugar.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Have had the same feeling like you late yesterday evening. But I think that it was rice what they eat, no sugar.
It's possible, but it looked like large crystals to me. It's hard for me to see that type of reaction from plain white rice which doesn't have much flavor. I think this was something sweet, but i could be wrong. Doesn't change my feeling much about the meeting. Barry put it well...
David is offline   Reply With Quote