Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th July 2013, 06:58 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Powder horn for comments.

As already introduced in the European Forum, some nice friend bought this one in a local auction to offer it to me .
Although in principle this would be a Portuguese example, i am a bit intrigued with its unusual overall design and also its carved stylized horse rider, as well as the other decorations.
Noteworthy is also the care taken by the artist to carve various losangles with different decorations; altogether this being a masterpiece at its level.
Has anyone seen something similar to this ?

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 1st March 2017 at 05:39 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Nice!
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
As already introduced in the European Forum, some nice friend bought this one in a local auction to offer it to me .
Although in principle this would be a Portuguese example, i am a bit intrigued with its unusual overall design and also its carved stylized horse rider, as well as the other decorations.
Noteworthy is also the care taken by the artist to carve various losangles with different decorations; altogether this being a masterpiece at its level.
Has anyone seen something similar to this ?

Salaams fernando ~ I happened upon this on the web ~ http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/apiv/hd_apiv.htm

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 09:11 AM   #4
colin henshaw

Looks interesting - reminds me a bit of Ethiopian work, with the Christian imagery...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 01:09 PM   #5
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams fernando ~ I happened upon this on the web ~ http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/apiv/hd_apiv.htm

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I am aware of that historical chapter, Ibrahiim, but thanks much for the link, anyhow. Some of those pieces are exhibited in the most prestigious museums ... not counting the ones in private collections
Pity my device is not an ivory salt cellar but a horn powder container
Old 16th July 2013, 01:11 PM   #6
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Looks interesting - reminds me a bit of Ethiopian work, with the Christian imagery...
Maybe a resemblance, but certainly not of Ethiopian provenance, is it Colin ?
Old 16th July 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
M ELEY

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! I love the golden patina and attention to detail. Most horns don't have this degree of carving. A spectacular find, Fernando!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 04:57 PM   #8
colin henshaw

Quote:
Maybe a resemblance, but certainly not of Ethiopian provenance, is it Colin ?
I can't say for sure whether it is or isn't Ethiopian, but very similar decorative elements as on your powder horn are to be found on other Ethiopian (Amhara) objects like crosses and magic scrolls. Such as - angels with wings, figures/faces with crowns, demons, horsemen and such like.

The zigzag carving is very African.

I don't have much literature on the subject, but will see what I can find and post anything relevant.

Regards.
Old 16th July 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
I can't say for sure whether it is or isn't Ethiopian, but very similar decorative elements as on your powder horn are to be found on other Ethiopian (Amhara) objects like crosses and magic scrolls. Such as - angels with wings, figures/faces with crowns, demons, horsemen and such like.

The zigzag carving is very African.

I don't have much literature on the subject, but will see what I can find and post anything relevant.

Regards.
Here are some details from a processional cross and a painting, as illustrated in the book "Aethiopia, Objects d'Ethiopie" published by Musee Royal De L'Afrique Centrale, Tervuren, Belgium 1996.
Attached Images

Old 16th July 2013, 10:02 PM   #10
fernando

Thanks for the pictures, Colin; i see what you mean.
I guess however that this type of powder horns are more of European nature.
A local heavy weight collector assumes that it is certainly not Portuguese as, having several such examples in his collection, this one doesn't fit within.
He opines that its age could be situated between end 18th / beg. 19th century and its provenance might be South Italy ... or Sicily.
Old 16th July 2013, 10:03 PM   #11
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Wow! Absolutely beautiful! I love the golden patina and attention to detail. Most horns don't have this degree of carving. A spectacular find, Fernando!
Thank you, my Captain
... and it cost me nothing; just a friendly gesture .
Old 16th July 2013, 10:48 PM   #12
manteris1

very nice..........................jimmy
manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 07:14 AM   #13
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Ibrahiim, very astute comparison!!! which definitely led to African potential for this, and certainly Portuguese firearms were well known on Africas West Coast.
I think Colin hit it spot on, and well supported. The stance and character of that rider and the sword held seems quite comparable to Ethiopian iconography. The winged 'cherub' type figures were quite popular in 18th century Europe, and somewhat earlier in many cases, particularly in England. Also note the 'man in the moon' figure, often seen of course on sword blades from Solingen, well known in African regions in the trade commodities from the Red Sea routes.
It would not seem unlikely for an item like this to be fashioned in a diplomatic 'gift' or trade sense.

As far as provenance, it seems of course likely that these kinds of items could find thier way to many countries given those sort of circumstances. As for the demeanor of the horn, it seems compellingly African with European features and most like Ethiopian styling in those, as suggested by Colin.

The Italian suggestion may of course play in with Italy's colonial presence in then Abyssinia, so certainly plausible.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Tim Simmons

This could be European "folk art". I agree there is much to suggest an African origin. However I am very unsure that this has been carved in Africa. I do not see West African interpretations of European dress and facial features. As for Ethiopia, yes painted Icons often portray pale skin and some European like faces. Again I find the central figure, side of the face to the viewer, very unusual for Ethiopian work plus the very European face and clothes. The central figures clothes suggest European peasant costume to me. I can find examples of peasant "folk art" depictions of figures with weapons, hunting and military. The martial figures are clearly in uniform. The fact that the figure on the horn appears in peasant costume would suggest a folk hero story of some kind to me?
The figure is very easily recognised as a handsome young man dashing off with his sword to do battle. The scene does not have any overtly deep religious theme except perhaps the young man is to take battle to the forces of evil in general. I think it odd that is it were the depiction of a European warrior in Africa, the figure is not in uniform? I think a wider search is needed.
Old 17th July 2013, 09:21 PM   #15
Tim Simmons

I am intrigued by the central figure and his features. The costume is interesting not African. I like this comparison, John 2 duke of Burgundy 14th century. I really cannot see any African work on this hunting powder horn.
Attached Images

Old 18th July 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
fernando

I agree with Tim in that this would not be an African work, but perhaps on a different basis. I don't reject te idea that Africans depict European figures in their works, namely when they work on a commission basis or in production of articles to be sold in the local market to returning Europeans. The Benin ivory works here recalled by Ibrahiim, brought back by soldiers to wealthy patrons or the religious artifacts i brought from Mozambique for my mother, made by Macondes on black wood, are a self speaking evidence.
Bit in both cases they were using their own local valuable raw materials; the carving work was the fusion. I don't see an European guy commissioning a carving work depicting his nationals on a cow powder horn.
On the other hand, if i were an expert on these thinks, i would explore the the interpretation of the figures composition, as a whole. The rider, the bird, the face in the half moon and the two angels with a different representation.
How would you ghuys see that as an approach ?
Old 25th July 2013, 12:55 PM   #17
fernando

Together with its home mates ... after a wash and a microcrystalline waxing.
I wouldn't know the apparently atypical hanging system the author realized for the neck end; just had to do something out of my humble ability.

Attached Images

Old 25th July 2013, 05:35 PM   #18
Norman McCormick

Hi Fernando,
Found this, similar...ish, only info was 19thC and European.
My Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 07:13 PM   #19
fernando

Thanks Norman,
That gives me an idea of how to replace the missing spout plug.
Old 25th July 2013, 07:21 PM   #20
Norman McCormick

Old 25th July 2013, 07:22 PM   #21
Norman McCormick

Quote:
Thanks Norman,
That gives me an idea of how to replace the missing spout plug.