Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd February 2017, 01:49 PM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Nagaland or Assam ?

Here is a sword/dao I was recently able to re-acquire, having sold it several years ago. I am still a bit unsure about its exact origin, probably either Naga or one of the neighboring Assamese tribes ? Or elsewhere ? The hilt and blade seem longer and more elongated than the norm...

Has anyone come across this type before ? I have seen a number of weapons from that area a bit similar, but not really identical.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2017, 04:16 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Colin:

This simple style of wrapping with broad strips of rattan/bamboo is seen on some Naga items that appear to be more working tools than weapons (see here for a few examples). The better quality dao, which this one seems to be, usually have smaller strips of rattan/bamboo that are woven in a more intricate fashion than the wrap on this one.

Your dao also seems bigger than the usual Naga dao, which you note. I have not seen one exactly like it before. Your estimate of Assam or neighboring tribal areas of NE India does seem a likely origin.

Gavin has some experience with dao from these areas and may have seen a similar example.

Thanks for posting this unusual sword.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2017, 06:49 AM   #3
BANDOOK

HI COLLIN
THE RATTAN WORK ON YOUR DAO IS COMMON TO ALL TRIBES OF NORTH EAST INDIA,NAGALAND,ARUNACHAL PRADESH ,ASSAM,MIZORAM,MANIPUR AND MEGHALAYA.YOUR EXAMPLE LOOKS LIKE ITS FROM ASSAM OR EVER FURTHER EAST INTO BURMA.
HERE IS MINE FROM THE KONYAL TRIBE OF NAGALAND.
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 12:28 PM   #4
colin henshaw

Thanks to Ian & BANDOOK for their comments.

Another unusual feature of my sword/dao is that wrapped area at the forte, presumably for two-handed use ? A fairly similar feature is to be found on other long swords described as from Assam, see nos. 4 & 5 in the attached image. The concept sort of reminds me of those two-handed medieval swords or "zweihander" ...
Attached Images

Old 7th February 2017, 08:18 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

The blade appears to Kachin, from the most well know Kachin Dao type.
I've seen long handed and also very long bladed swords from the Kachin regions also, I suspect this is a variant but sword like this are typically Arunachal Pradesh as seen here;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...&postcount=154
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...5&postcount=18

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 04:14 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Colin:

Of the examples shown in the links from Gavin, I think this dao is closest to your sword. Note the low grip on the hilt, which would correspond to the "sub-hilt" on your example, that offsets the (substantial) weight of the blade. David R. originally posted this pic and said it came from Tibet.

Ian.

------------Attachment: Tibetan with dao---------------

Attached Images

Old 7th February 2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Sajen

So far I know traded Kachin blacksmith blades in surrounding areas, would agree with Ians statement.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Colin:

Of the examples shown in the links from Gavin, I think this dao is closest to your sword. Note the low grip on the hilt, which would correspond to the "sub-hilt" on your example, that offsets the (substantial) weight of the blade. David R. originally posted this pic and said it came from Tibet.

Ian.

------------Attachment: Tibetan with dao---------------

Specifically the image noted as being from Tibet is of one of the Monpa People from Arunachal Pradesh.

Gavin
Old 8th February 2017, 04:02 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent
Specifically the image noted as being from Tibet is of one of the Monpa People from Arunachal Pradesh.

Gavin
Gavin,

Thanks for that correction, although I note that information online indicates that the Monpa are a nomadic people, with about 50,000 in Arunachal Pradesh and another 25,000 in Tibet. They are one of the 56 recognized minority groups in China. Their languages fall into the Tibeto-Burman cluster, and they write with the Tibetan alphabet. Most of them are Tibetan buddhists.

Ian.
Old 11th February 2017, 02:55 PM   #10
colin henshaw

Thanks to those who have input on this item, most helpful.

Presumably the sword would have originally had a scabbard, probably open to one side ?
Old 14th February 2017, 11:58 PM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Thanks to those who have input on this item, most helpful.

Presumably the sword would have originally had a scabbard, probably open to one side ?
Indeed, it seems typical to the region.

Gavin