Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st November 2011, 06:32 AM   #1
TVV

Default Unusual Balkan "Yataghan" for Comments

This item was reportedly discovered in an old house in North-Eastern Bulgaria. I have never seen anything quite like it. To me it appears to be a Persian export wootz blade, hilted in the Western Balkans. What is interesting is that the blade appears to have been made this way originally, and it is also short - the length of the entire sword is 80cm, which is about the normal size for a yataghan. I am calling it a yataghan for lack of a better term.

Has anyone seen another example and what is your opinion on the origin of this one?

Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 07:47 AM   #2
ALEX

Interesting sword. would not call it Yataghan though. the blade is Persian indeed. Could be made as a child sword, then later rehilted. the hilt and the way it's mounted resembles shaska. Does hilt split in the end?
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Gavin Nugent

I wonder if this, with the animal faces on the hilt, that it may have been fashioned as a hunting sword using a recycled blade? I would personally want a guard to stop my hand slipping forward though.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 06:14 AM   #4
TVV

Thank you gentlemen,

Some great observations. The pommel forks per the attached photo. The way it forks to me is much more reminiscent of yataghans, rather than a shashka though. Also, the niello decoration is found on Greek items, such as #408 from Elgood's book (which also shows that it was used until the early 20th century, the Balkan Wars and WW1). I also found a nicer yataghan with niello decorated hilt and scabbard from a Bulgarian book on weapons, currently kept in Sofia or Varna (the picture captions contradict themselves).
Perhaps the blade was indeed made for a child, but not only is it shorter than usual, but also straight with a slight downward turn, so it was not meant to ever be a sabre by whoever made it. The animals depicted on the hilt are a horse and what I interpret as a lion (it sort of looks like a rat, but lion seems more plausible). I could only find one somewhat similar hilt in the Askeri Museum book about yataghans: the shape is similar and there is a border on the outer line just like the item in question and the other niello decorated yataghan.
We are in agreement about the blade - Persian and made for export. As far as the hilt, I am leaning toward Ioannina or somewhere else in Epirus. But I would love to read as many opinions as possible.
Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

Old 4th July 2012, 09:08 PM   #5
TVV

My friend cleaned the blade up and revealed the attached inscription at the ricasso. I feel this warrants resurrecting the thread. Is the inscription legible, and can you please help translate?

Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

Old 5th July 2012, 11:57 PM   #6
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
can you please help translate?
Hi Teodor
nice initiative to have cleaned the blade ,
because on ricasso we might read the name of the blacksmith
ALLAH
MOHAMED
AMAL ZARIF
(?) either MADE BY ZARIF (reading under reserve)
ALI HASSAN
several comments
- part of the mentions are religious, used in the sense of talismanic; Allah, Mohamed
and might be Ali, Hassan, the serial seems logic;
God, then his Prophet, the Prophet's son, the Prophet's grandson, those last two very revered by the Shiite
- the owner for this yatagan was Muslim, absolutly, but may be Shiite obedience
- the blacksmith is might be from Armenian community, if what we read as name is correct,
that's it for today
all the best

à +

Dom
Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 04:14 AM   #7
TVV

Dom,

Thank you very much. Why do you think the maker was Armenian? The name Zarif certainly sounds Arabic in origin. The Shiite attribution makes perfect sense, as the blade looks Persian made to me based on the shape, the wootz and the lion stamp. I wonder on the inscription was placed at the base for the originally intended owner, or if such inscriptions were standard on Persian made blades.

Thank you again,
Teodor
Old 6th July 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Dom

Good Day Teodor,
how to say that the name "Zarif" is certainly Arabic in origin ?

it's because the evidence is not probative that I have put a (?) and wrote (reading under reserve)
the " tune " has been transcribed in European script, but don't sound Arabic at all

in fact, I looked for in the "net" what was answers with that spelling,
what I have found the nearest, is Armenian name (Zarifian)
now, I have I dug bit more, I found a Muslim (according with the first name), an "Zarif Mohamed"
Date :between 1875 et 1900
Record/Source: Frenchman disembarkation from boat in New York

so, our guy could be a Persian, that's is established

what which seems more or less standard is that some weapons, not only from Persia,
are signed by the blade-smith/blacksmith,
and sometimes added the name of the owner of the weapon is added ...
certainly at his request, for the second reference

for instance, I have in my small collection, a "Pala" with following mentions
- a mark stamped on blade by the blade-smith/blacksmith (untranslated ...yet, unsuccessful )
- cartouche with owner name and date
- cartouche with identification of regiment
- cartouche with virile declaration against his enemy/enemies
all "cartouche" in gold koftgari, and for sure, have been done under request of the owner

at least that's what I think, but I'm not an expert, just an "amateur"

best regards

à +

Dom
Old 6th July 2012, 12:25 PM   #9
CharlesS

Is it possible to get some better pics of the fullering?
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 05:39 PM   #10
AJ1356

A very nice item indeed. The inscription is not super clear to me but I think DOM did a great job of putting it together. The blade at least is Persian Safawid, with the royal lion seal. Which means it was made in the royal arsenal. Very nice and old and in great shape.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
Good Day Teodor,
how to say that the name "Zarif" is certainly Arabic in origin ?
Teodor I have to apologize to you ...
you were right,
how I can explain this misunderstanding ?

who took courses management knows well the problem of distorted messages, when this one, it's repeated ... here my explanation

for the forum's translations, I prepare the best copy of the pic attached, sometimes I emphasized it, for more easier reading, then
- my translator thought about the problem proposed, then, gives me her opinion, but not all her thoughts, who conducted to her answer
- I received a verbal message only, but ... not the brain storming, sometimes (like for our subject) she gave me some indications about difficulties met
- on my side, I seek, or research, how to confirm or disprove his statements
- at that time, I put in writing what I "think" have understood

our native languages ​​are French and Arabic,
but on a daily basis we use the English / U.S. at home ... again, an other risk of distortion

all that to say that "Zarif" is an Arabic name as its meaning is "funny"
in fact, it's the decryption by itself it was a problem, not the name, as I thought wrongly

her latest comments today was to say, that perhaps it is " Zarifou" should be read (same signification),
but it changes nothing, for nothing

sorry again for the misunderstanding,
I am a little ashamed of having been too presumptuous through my reply to your message
this will teach me to want to play ... a smart ass

all the best

à +

Dom
Old 7th July 2012, 03:57 AM   #12
TVV

Dom,
No need to apologize at all. Again, thank you and your translator for the help in this thread: without your assistance the inscriptions would simply be a nice piece of caligraphy with no meaning. Now at least we know beyond any doubt that this is a Persian blade, pehaps even intended for use in Persia.

AJ, thank you very much for you input as well. Was the lion stamp reserved for the royal Persian arsenal only, or was it copied on all kinds of blades as a symbol of quality, say, similar to the Gurda markings on many swords?

Charles, I will ask for pictures of the fullering. I am assuming you are mostly interested in the area close to the tip, is this correct?

Regards,
Teodor
Old 7th July 2012, 12:55 PM   #13
CharlesS

Yes, Theodor.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 01:37 PM   #14
AJ1356

The lion was specifically for the royal armory. there are many quality blades but since they were not made in the royal armoury they do not adorn the lion seal.
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2012, 06:33 PM   #15
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Yes, Theodor.
Charles,

Here are some pictures of the fulelring near the tip. Is this what you were looking for?

Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images