Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd May 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
Iain

Default Recent takoubas for sharing

Hi all,

Rather than make a few threads I thought I'd just share some recent additions in one go.

1. I put this on here before for a scabbard ID, now I have it in hand, a European blade sword of very fine quality marked with a running wolf. One of the best examples I've had the privilege to handle and I think a quite early example.

2. A very wide bladed sword, mainly of interest for the extreme proportions.

3. An interesting sword with I think a native blade (it was in rough shape when I got it and the blade required some straightening). Oddly marked but obviously of good age.

If anyone thinks they can help ID the scabbard on 1 I'll supply some detail shots of the leatherwork.

Hope you enjoy seeing these, for me at least, the variety in this form continues to be fascinating.

Regards,

Iain
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 09:59 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Fine swords Iain - thanks for posting. The blade on sword no. 2 looks as if its from an old European woodsaw blade, converted.

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Iain

Hi Colin, as always thanks for the comments. From period accounts of travelers in Nigeria it would seem there was no problem to use recycled steel sources, two man saws have been around for a while and I guess would have been a likely trade item even in the early colonial days and 19th century. The blade on this is 8.25cm (over 3 inches) wide at the base. The hole I think was probably filled with a copper slug at one point - I've seen this on some other ultra wide bladed takouba.
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:52 PM   #4
TVV

Very nice Iain, thank you for sharing. My guess is that the running wolf and the circular marking (orb/sun?) were applied to the blade after it reached the Sahel. What do you think?

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Very nice Iain, thank you for sharing. My guess is that the running wolf and the circular marking (orb/sun?) were applied to the blade after it reached the Sahel. What do you think?

Regards,
Teodor
Hi Teodor,

Actually I lean towards the wolf and orb being legit in this case. A friend and fellow forum member has a blade to the same pattern and the same marks, also showing great age. http://takouba.org/catalog/index.php...olf/takouba-38

On his you can see the orb much clearer.

I could be wrong, but these seem to be well enough made and found in a context that makes sense.

Cheers,

Iain
Old 29th May 2013, 12:50 AM   #6
TVV

Iain,

It will probably be too difficult to tell one way or another with any certainty. Are the markings stamped or scratched?

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
colin henshaw

Hi Iain

From memory - there is an excellent, but scarce book, called "Au Sahara" by Gabus ?, which has lots of designs etc., if you can lay your hands on a copy...
Old 4th June 2013, 04:47 PM   #8
Iain

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to find the book you mentioned. Sounds intriguing!

I will take some photos soon of a Manding scabbard I have that has some interesting similarities with this one. For example leather applied over textile and the interwoven squares among the patterns.

Regards,

Iain
Old 4th June 2013, 06:19 PM   #9
colin henshaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to find the book you mentioned. Sounds intriguing!

I will take some photos soon of a Manding scabbard I have that has some interesting similarities with this one. For example leather applied over textile and the interwoven squares among the patterns.

Regards,

Iain
Hi Iain

Those patterns of small boxes remind me a bit of amuletic squares, containing magic numbers etc ?? The other half circles and triangles are often seen on Sahel/Sahara jewellery and leather work, such as bags, saddle covers and the like...

All the best,
Colin
Old 8th June 2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Iain

Here's a comparison showing a Manding scabbard I have and this takouba scabbard. With the elements I'm seeing in common highlighted.
Attached Images

Old 8th June 2013, 02:00 PM   #11
Iain

To add to the post above... Here's a Nupe stool with some strikingly similar patterns and color work. However I would find it odd if this scabbard is Nupe since there's plenty of other Nupe scabbards on takouba around and none of them look like this...
Attached Images