Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default In Search of the Spanish Colonial 'Cuera' Armor

In ongoing research on Spanish Colonial history, and very much in league with our discussions on armor in the wild west and primitive native armor, I would like to open a discussion on the leather armor worn by Spanish cavalry in New Spain's frontiers.

During the time of the Conquistadores, we have learned that the actual presence of armor cuirass and mail seems to have been less than often presumed, and more common became the wearing of leather doublets or jerkins or heavy cotton/wool armor favored by the Aztecs.

By the end of the 17th century, mounted soldiers who guarded the colonial posts known as presidios became known as 'soldados de cuera', the leather jacket soldiers.
These leather coats are described as reaching from shoulder to knee, about seven plies of well cured buckskin bound together at edges by string seams, secured to the body by encircling straps. It is noted that these weighed about 18 pounds and were worn in slight variations from California to Texas and across northern Mexico. Many of these were emblazoned with the Royal Crest and name of presidio.

While this information reveals what these must have looked like, it seems that museum displays and references, despite numerous examples of the weaponry and the leather shields (adarga), do not as far as I can find have specimens of these 'cuera' leather coats.

I am hoping that someone might have information on museum holdings, personal collections or photos with actual examples.
Thanks very much guys!

All best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Spent some time to look further into the use of leather in the rugged Spanish colonial frontiers, it seems that while the central purpose was to protect from Indian arrows, there were likely more utilitarian reasons as well.

One narrative notes "...I more than anyone, reached here torn and scratched to pieces by the terrible thorn trees (cactus)along these same trails".
c.1769
This account may well refer to the regions of Sonora desert, which I spent some time in near Tucson, Arizona last year. The dense and tortuous vegetation is unbelievable even today, and I cannot see how anyone could get through it without terrible wounds.
Many of the soldiers wore a sort of cow hide apron pinned to the head of the saddle and down both sides as 'armas' or 'defensas' protecting legs and thighs in this merciless brush.

In an interesting side note, these leather coats had some drawbacks also, as they were of course not rainproof, so in sudden rainstorms (well known in these deserts) they soak up water like sponges multiplying the weight as they dried, and worse, terribly stiffened as they dried.

The foregoing of chain mail used by the conquistadors to these leather jerkins is interesting as the chain mail weighed about 15 lbs., while these leather jackets weighed in at about 18 lbs. With rain....one can imagine.

From what I have found so far, there were not huge numbers of these presidial soldiers in Alta California, and thier presence in these frontier regions lasted from about the opening of the 18th century (possibly earlier) until about the 1820's at the latest, as I understand.

While examples of the adarga (leather shields) exist as well as other leather accoutrements, I suppose the locating of one of these cuera is a bit more difficult, as these may have been less likely to have survived.
There does seem the possibility that there may be an example in the Smithsonian, uniforms and equipment dept. We'll see.

All best regards,
Jim
Old 20th August 2009, 05:09 PM   #3
fearn

Slightly off-topic, but I need to put in the origin of the word "chaps"--those leather leg protectors worn by cowboys.

The vegetation in Spain looks a lot like the the vegetation in California, and they have their equivalent of chaparral--low dense brush. In fact, the California term came from the Basque "chaparro" (in Basque, there's an X in there somewhere, sorry), which was the Spanish scrub oak.

Chaps were worn when going through brush to protect the legs. Poor horse had to fend for himself.

I'll keep an eye open for old leather jackets. One place I'd look, Jim, is anywhere that preserves any leather whatsoever from the era preceding the Mission period. I think the reason you're not seeing a "cuera" coat is that few if any survived.

Come to think of it, what did the rancheros wear, anyway? They had to deal with indian arrows on occasion.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 05:57 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Slightly off-topic, but I need to put in the origin of the word "chaps"--those leather leg protectors worn by cowboys.

The vegetation in Spain looks a lot like the the vegetation in California, and they have their equivalent of chaparral--low dense brush. In fact, the California term came from the Basque "chaparro" (in Basque, there's an X in there somewhere, sorry), which was the Spanish scrub oak.

Chaps were worn when going through brush to protect the legs. Poor horse had to fend for himself.

I'll keep an eye open for old leather jackets. One place I'd look, Jim, is anywhere that preserves any leather whatsoever from the era preceding the Mission period. I think the reason you're not seeing a "cuera" coat is that few if any survived.

Come to think of it, what did the rancheros wear, anyway? They had to deal with indian arrows on occasion.

Best,

F
Thank you Fearn!! Not off topic at all. Excellent observation on the chaps, and it would certainly seem that they descended from the Spanish 'bocas' or leather leggings they wore beyond the cuerra. Actually it is great that you brought this up, as much, if not most of our western 'cowboy' heritage derives from Spanish ancestry, including of course the horse itself.
The term 'buckaroo' is from the vaqueros.

I mentioned I had been in the Sonora desert regions in Arizona last year, and while this vegetation os beautiful, especially in bloom, it is absolute murder in trying to gain passage through it. Anyone who pictures desert as desolate expanses of sand and rock has never seen anything like this!
The majestic saguaro cactuses tower above all manner of prickly pear, mesquite, and all kinds of flora I cant even recall the names of, in a dense jungle of vegetation.

As I mentioned, I think that the leather wear was as much for protection from the attack of natural forces as protection from Indian arrows, and the swords we have often discussed, the espada ancha, became more of a machete than combative weapon.

Interesting that you mention the Basques, and I found it fascinating that such a number of this unique heritage found thier way into the ranks of the Saldaos de Cuera. One of the prominant families in the Bay Area was the Berreyasa (Berelleza) family, descended from one of these soldiers c.1775 in the settlement of Alta California with Juan Bautista de Anza.

Good suggestion on the preservation locations, and I'll check with some museums. I know that the adarga shields (which were rawhide) still exist. It seems that the cuerra was typically about 7 ply of deerskin, and I'm not sure if the type of hide would determine survivability, but it seems if it was removed from the elements it should.

Interesting question on the rancheros, and I'm not sure if they might have worn the same type gear on occasion. Most of thier riding was on thier own estates in limited areas from what I understand, and they had vaqueros for wider coverage.

Thank you for the response and info Fearn !
All the best,
Jim
Old 23rd August 2009, 10:54 AM   #5
M ELEY

Hello, Jim. This is an intriguing subject and one that by coincidence, has interested me of late. I have been trying (and failing miserably) to find a copy of a book called 'The Leather Jacket Soldier' by Odie Faulk, copywrite 1971. It is long out of print and I didn't want to spend the huge price that some of the book sellers offer it for. Are you familiar with this volume or does anyone on the forum have a copy? Can they recommend it? I had a particular interest in it because it also covers the weapons and accutrements of the Spanish colonial soldiers, including thier lances, espada, leather armor, boots, spurs,etc. Anyway, thought I would mention it. Perhaps inter-library loan is called for here...

Last edited by M ELEY; 23rd August 2009 at 11:25 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:58 PM   #6
TVV

Here is a picture from the palace of Governors in Santa Fe, which shows a hide shield - adarga, and something next to it which I suppose might be one of those leg protectors.
Unfortunately, the museum did not have a specimen of the cuera leather jacket exhibited, as far as I recall. Maybe there is one in poor shape in the museum storage?
Regards,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 11:33 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Teodor for posting this wonderful display at the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe. I missed this when I was there due to a great deal of construction underway, and they clearly put together some wonderful pieces here.
The bocas and adarga are great, but I really dont believe they have the cuera. The espada ancha there was beautifully restored several years ago.

I have found that an outstanding example of cuerra is among the holdings at the Museo del Ejercito in Madrid, and it is noted that these typically carried more adornment, much of it lost from this 18th century item.
The photo is among material from the Texas historical group preserving this magnificent history, The Second Flying Company of Alamo de Parras.

18th Century 'cuerra' armour of the soldados de cuero:
Attached Images

Old 27th August 2009, 02:08 AM   #8
celtan

Hi Guys,

Is it tied on the sides?

Could Ponchos be a poorman's version of the cuera, protecting its wearer from the "ortigas" and cactuses?

Best

Manuel

BTW, JIm, pleeze do contribute to my shipping question...
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 02:30 AM   #9
fearn

Great find Jim! Glad you found one.

Hi Celtan,

Checking good ol' wikipedia (link) confirmed my guess that the Poncho was originally Peruvian, although it's now worn around the world.

Best,

F
Old 27th August 2009, 06:19 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Hi Guys,

Is it tied on the sides?

Could Ponchos be a poorman's version of the cuera, protecting its wearer from the "ortigas" and cactuses?

Best

Manuel

BTW, JIm, pleeze do contribute to my shipping question...

Good observation Manuel, but I think the poncho was intended as more of a garment for warmth and protection from the elements, while the chaps worn by cowboys likely did develop from the 'bocas' leggings.

Thank you Fearn! Actually I had some help from a very good friend in Spain

Manuel, I'm afraid I really cannot speak to this topic as my collecting days ended some time ago, and I have neither shipped nor received weapons in years. In those times however, an item listed as antique (over 100 yrs old) typically never had problems.

All the best,
Jim
Old 27th August 2009, 01:20 PM   #11
celtan

Like Woodstock..?

: )

Best

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Great find Jim! Glad you found one.

Hi Celtan,

Checking good ol' wikipedia (link) confirmed my guess that the Poncho was originally Peruvian, although it's now worn around the world.

Best,

F
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 07:27 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Like Woodstock..?

: )

Best

M
LOL! far out man!!! Woodstock?? who the heck can remember the 60's?
Actually.....despite the purple haze...the 'poncho' was indeed popular attire in that blur

Best,
Jim
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:58 PM   #13
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Jim, can i assault this thread, now that the cuera theme in the appointed context has slowed down?
I assume we all know that this apparatus was previously more of a complementary armour element than an exterior attire.
At a certain period it was used to defend parts of the body and pad the upper part, in order to absorb the hardness of the steel cuirass.
The name in portuguese is coura; i realize however that this type of gear also had its momens of glory in various other countries, of course.
I know where there is one for sale (where else could it be? ); i just don't even ask for its price, afraid i couldn't reach it.
The example in the pictures is in the Oporto military museum.
I bet guys like Michael can put up pictures with magnificent examples
Fernando
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Wow! Beautifully done Fernando. I really like the way you detail the photo with captioning, nice graphics and very helpful.

You're very right, leather or other material was indeed worn under armour not only to provide some buffer between the hard steel and its wearer, absorb heat, which must have been unbearable at times, and also to absorb the force of blows, which would sometimes generate blunt trauma with the armour itself.
* much like the non penetrating wounds received somewhat superficially under kevlar vests etc.

In the Middle Ages, this wearing of heavy material was common, and the heavy jerkins worn during the English Civil War also examples which also served somewhat like the cuerra.

The Spanish soldiers found leather much more manueverable in these incredibly rugged regions, and great defence against the hostile flora as well as the hostile Indian tribes' arrows. The bocas no doubt provided much needed protection against the bite of the ever present rattlesnake as well.

Thank you so much for adding this great photo!!! as well as your always brilliant detail!!!

All the very best,
Jim
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:41 PM   #15
fearn

Where's that head-slapping smilie?

A buffcoat. Of course! Great call, Fernando!

F