Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th August 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Papuan sacred stone knife?

My latest acquisition yet to arrive. It is a good size approx 39cm long. It was described as being from the Sepik region. However that may well be a guess as Sepik is rather vague, a long river course encompassing many peoples. The correct attribution does not really bother me as sacred and magic stone implements are found in many regions on the Papuan Island. Until I have it to compare with other stones I am adding some pictorial background from;

" Culture Of Stone, The sacred and profane uses of stone among the Dani, O, W, "Bud" Hampton, Texas A&M University Press "

This information is of stone use from some distance from the Sepik region. If the knife is Sepik. The fact that the knife has a decorative scabbard and handle would suggest scared use? Also an interesting link on sacred stone implements form the Sepik region.

http://www.jps.auckland.ac.nz/docume...p_192_-_208/p1

I do not know why two pictures have uploaded funny?
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Sajen

Hello Tim,

I am as well think that this stone knife is from the Dani from Irian Jaya. Nice Knife and I think that the yellow stuff in the wicker work is plastic.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Certainly from the Central Highlands if not the Dani, friends and enemies. The purchase is a little bit of a gamble as the pictures are not that good, sometimes a risk pays. I am hoping the yellow decoration is the same plant fiber as on these to adze. Note near the handle of the dark stone adze. Under the plant fiber a small piece of cellophane is showing. I am adding another picture from the previously mentioned publication. I think all of us here can understand the mans desire to own and display this beautiful stone. It does look a little bigger than the knife.

There are some good pictures of warriors in the book which I will add latter. War is supposed to be under control?
Attached Images

Old 19th August 2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Sajen

When the yellow material is indeed some sort of plastic I wouldn't mind when I am you. I have two salawaku (shields from Halmahera) in my collection where the inlays worked from plastic, both have a very nice using patina. Keep in mind that tribals have a different way of seeing the use of plastic. I have seen by a friend who deal with New Guinea artefacts a lot of contemporary items where was used plastic of different sort. Tribals use what they found and what seems useful for them. Nylon strings for example are much stronger and much more long living as natural materials so it would be in the eyes of a tribal absurd not using this material. It is the same with Moro gunongs from WW II times where are used aluminium. OK, in the eyes of a collector it may not look appealing but make the use of "modern" materials items non ethnograhic?

Regards,

Detlef
Old 20th August 2013, 07:12 PM   #5
Clubs & Arrows

Tim & Detlef,
Check into Orchid Fiber. I'm pretty sure that's what you have. It's much firmer than the regular woven fiber cord and has a feeling like a very fine piece of split rattan. It is used a lot in decorating Bilum Bags and accenting most other weaving nowadays in Irian Jaya.

Joe
Clubs & Arrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

It is here. I know this sort of thing lacks the blood letting appeal for most members here, but to me it is a very fascinating and beautifully made object. It is a knife and clearly something unusual even in the original context. "Bud" Hampton, mentions stone knives and found them puzzling. The stone displays grinding marks that I would expect, no file marks. The scabbard appears to be made from Banana fiber. It is expertly fashioned fitting like a glove. All though constructed with simple materials it is better made than many scabbards of leather, wood and metal I have handled. I am very pleased with it.
Attached Images

Old 5th September 2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

I have just had a thought that could make this more relevant to the blood thirsty. The tip on this knife is as finely ground as an adze blade. If you can cut and carve wood with stone chisels and adze, surely if a person was to feel aggressive enough you could force a stone knife into a naked torso or do extreme damage to an opponents head and face? "Bud" Hampton saw knives and although inquisitive and learned does not mean he saw an obvious answer?
Old 5th September 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Sajen

Very nice knife! And I am glad that the yellow stuff isn't plastic and Joe was correct by the material!

Regards,

Detlef
Old 6th September 2013, 03:41 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

For those interested this [pdf] file by the author of the book mentioned earlier in this thread, is basically the same as the publication but with more pictures. For some reason the pictures are not of a readable quality .

http://anthropology.tamu.edu/papers/Hampton-PhD1997.pdf
Old 30th October 2013, 08:51 PM   #10
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

A AZMAT STONE DAGGER.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote