Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th February 2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Iain

Default Three African spears for ID

Hi Guys,

Just got these three. Apologies for the somewhat dark photos - snowing like crazy here and the light is pretty poor indoors. I didn't get overall shots but hopefully this is enough to help out with IDs.

1. Spear with worked stem with little "cubes" or boxes. Blade has a couple of curved lines as decoration. Pretty heavy duty construction. 170cm overall. Spade like foot. Seems like the sort of work associated with Nigeria or Cameroon?

2. Double headed spear - head is 41.5cm overall. This came with a shaft and is over 200cm put together. But no foot/butt so I didn't bother photographing it. No ideas really on this, at first I thought it might be Bagirmi but I have my doubts.

3. Spear with brass decoration and silver collar. Overall 154cm. Spade like foot. Seems like somewhere in the Sahel or Saharan Africa?

Any and all help appreciated!
Attached Images

Last edited by Iain; 16th February 2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Text to fit photo order
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
The head of upper spear (not the shape, but the style of surface - flat section followed by a rib) shows a likeness to another Indian spear called Ballam (again from the book by Tirri). Also the "silver" ring on the third spear is not, I think, typically African as well as the style of divinding of the second spearhead.
Regards,
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Hi Iain,
The head of upper spear (not the shape, but the style of surface - flat section followed by a rib) shows a likeness to another Indian spear called Ballam (again from the book by Tirri). Also the "silver" ring on the third spear is not, I think, typically African as well as the style of divinding of the second spearhead.
Regards,
Martin
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the help.

Another friend has also been helping with some ideas.

1. I didn't think Indian spears had a shoe like this one? It seemed typical of African work to me?

2. This double head looks like it should in fact be from Ethiopia and a ceremonial/parade item. You can see similarity in the head shapes with Ethiopian and Somali spears - and there are other double headed spears from Ethiopia

3. This is probably Madagascar? The style is very close to other Madagascar spears.
Old 18th February 2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Martin Lubojacky

Hi Iain,
I am just giving ideas for disposal. I have problem with scanner now, but I will try to post copies of two pictures (you will find similarities) and I do also hope it will be OK with copyright..... - This as far as Nos. 1 and 3 are concerned.
Re. double headed spear - it is true it resembles Abyssinian and Somali spearheads. But I donīt think it was designed as ceremonial. I am sure here are much more experienced and well-versed collectors here, maybe they will also join this thread
Regards,
Martin
Old 18th February 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
Pukka Bundook

Iain,

I think you are close re. the origin of these spears.
I'm no expert, but the decoration to me appears correct for the areas you mention.

Martin,
I agree that the manner of manufacturing the first spear has similarities with some from India, but the decoration appears much more African to me.
India, diverse as it is, still retains certain types of decoration, and I don't think the above fit.

All best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 05:20 PM   #6
Iain

Hi Martin,

I'm really grateful you are sharing your thoughts. I am no expert in spears, so I can easily be wrong.

For 3 I thought this was more or less the classic Madagascar design? I saw many spears before with this attribution - but you are right that the silver collar is very unusual.

For 1 I am very interested to see any related photos. I can find nothing in this style really in my few books. I think for copyright it will be ok - it is only for discussion and should be covered by "fair use".

Richard,

Thanks for the encouraging words. Spears are a new area for me and I am trying to learn as much as I can.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Pictures from Islamic Weapons from Maghreb to Moghul by A.C. Tirri
regards,
Martin
Attached Images

Old 19th February 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
zalmoxis

Talking Spears

First spear West African Mossi typical file work.
Second spear Ethiopian very nice rare double head feature.
Third spear from Madagascar.
Second and third from Tiri's book also spears from Madagascar...hmm you wonder about the reach of the Ottoman empire:-)
zalmoxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
Atlantia

I told you Iain,

One spear leads to three spears......
Next it'll be boxes and bowls and god knows what else!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 09:23 PM   #10
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis
First spear West African Mossi typical file work.
Second spear Ethiopian very nice rare double head feature.
Third spear from Madagascar.
Second and third from Tiri's book also spears from Madagascar...hmm you wonder about the reach of the Ottoman empire:-)
Thanks for the input. Could you share the source for IDing the Mossi spear? It certainly fits to the region. I've always had a passing interest in the culture - however as most here know my interest has always been swords not spears - hence my lack of reference material. They are a group with a fascinating history, particularly their relation to the Muslim kingdoms surrounding them.

Gene,

It's a horrible, horrible disease.

Cheers,

Iain
Old 20th February 2013, 12:21 PM   #11
colin henshaw

Hi Iain

Good looking spears - would you be able to post images of them full length, also of the butt ends ?

Spears with those shoe ends are usually from the Sahel of West Africa, although Madagascar spears are similar, but the Madagascar ones I have seen usually have longer shoes. Isn't there an illustration of a cavalryman with a double-bladed spear in the 19th century exploration book by Denham ? The types with the inlaid brass like that, I usually think of as Hausa... Its very difficult to allocate African spears to specific tribes (although I havn't really made a close study). The following very general points may assist :-

a) Where there is Islamic influence, the construction is normally more sophisticated.
b) Spears north of the Zambesi are usually socketed and tanged southwards.
c) Spears sourced in the UK are more likely to be from ex-British colonies, eg Nigeria. Likewise spears from France would be more likely to originate from ex-French colonies etc...

I am attaching some extracts from the book "Weapons & Implements of Savage Races" by L Montague, 1921 that may be of interest. Also images of a couple of my Sahel spears for general comparison.

All the best
Colin
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi Iain

Good looking spears - would you be able to post images of them full length, also of the butt ends ?

Spears with those shoe ends are usually from the Sahel of West Africa, although Madagascar spears are similar, but the Madagascar ones I have seen usually have longer shoes. Isn't there an illustration of a cavalryman with a double-bladed spear in the 19th century exploration book by Denham ? The types with the inlaid brass like that, I usually think of as Hausa... Its very difficult to allocate African spears to specific tribes (although I havn't really made a close study). The following very general points may assist :-

a) Where there is Islamic influence, the construction is normally more sophisticated.
b) Spears north of the Zambesi are usually socketed and tanged southwards.
c) Spears sourced in the UK are more likely to be from ex-British colonies, eg Nigeria. Likewise spears from France would be more likely to originate from ex-French colonies etc...

I am attaching some extracts from the book "Weapons & Implements of Savage Races" by L Montague, 1921 that may be of interest. Also images of a couple of my Sahel spears for general comparison.

All the best
Colin
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the info and images.

Actually I had hoped I had something like what Denham pictured. Unfortunately the differences were pretty clear once it was in hand.

I'll try to take some overall shots later this week. Bit tricky with the big one due to the size, the butts on two of them are already shown above, the Ethiopian one I didn't photograph the shaft since it has no butt (doesn't look like it ever did).
Old 21st February 2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Iain

An image showing all three overall - not the best image I'm afraid. But the large one impacts a lot what distance I can shoot from!
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2013, 05:25 PM   #14
Richard G

Christopher Spring's, "African Arms and Armour" page 38 has a picture of a lancer of the Sultan of Bagirmi with a double headed lance very similar to No.2.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Christopher Spring's, "African Arms and Armour" page 38 has a picture of a lancer of the Sultan of Bagirmi with a double headed lance very similar to No.2.
Regards
Richard
Hi Richard,

I believe the illustration you mention is the taken from Denham, from memory Nachtigal reproduced it as well.

I'd had some hopes this spear would be from that region - but sadly, once it was in hand it became fairly obvious it wasn't. The scale of the heads is not correct and the construction and details like the shape of the shaft are not correct for the Bagirmi region. Certainly an interesting style and I still hope someday to acquire an example.
Old 21st February 2013, 09:36 PM   #16
zalmoxis

Default spears again

Hi there are some books:
"Mande blacksmiths" (book) deals with some info about West Africa. A lot of west African spears are in "Armes Blanches De L'Afrique Noire". A similar double headed spear as your Ethiopian spear is depicted in " Spears and staffs with two or more points in Africa".
Actually Madagascar spears are easy to spot: the head and the end varies in length and even shape but they are the only spears the the shaft is carved to fit the head flush and not just inserted into it after making a pointy end on a stick. Most of the time the carving of the shaft is so good that wood also fits the space left from forging in the socket making it flush with that too. No other African spears to my knowledge are fitted like that. Most of the time the socket on both the head and end will have 2 or 3 brass inlay rings like yours. Your Madagascar spear has the head fitted perfectly if you look at it also the silver ring is aligned with the shaft and socket by means of carving. The end looks inserted which might mean that the spear might have been shortened and repaired quickly not allowing time for proper fitting.
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2013, 09:46 PM   #17
zalmoxis

Default more

The photo of the spear from Madagascar has a larger head and this is typical for later examples, this one is from around 1940, spears were more prestige objects by then. The older one like yours tend to have a more javelin smaller head more appropriate for use. But still has the brass rings.
In the case of "Mossi" spear a more appropriate term would be West African.
The metal work on a HUGE space there that covers many countries was directly made or influence by Mande blacksmits. You will find similar file work and chiseling on spears from Mali/Dogon to Mossi/Burkina Faso and Hausa/Nigeria etc.
Your spears are probably 19th century or early 20th.
Old 22nd February 2013, 09:51 AM   #18
colin henshaw

Thanks for posting further images. Not really much more to say except - nice old spears !

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:40 AM   #19
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis
The photo of the spear from Madagascar has a larger head and this is typical for later examples, this one is from around 1940, spears were more prestige objects by then. The older one like yours tend to have a more javelin smaller head more appropriate for use. But still has the brass rings.
In the case of "Mossi" spear a more appropriate term would be West African.
The metal work on a HUGE space there that covers many countries was directly made or influence by Mande blacksmits. You will find similar file work and chiseling on spears from Mali/Dogon to Mossi/Burkina Faso and Hausa/Nigeria etc.
Your spears are probably 19th century or early 20th.
Thanks for all the info and images. The Ethiopian illustration provides an exact match - very nice to have.

I'm familiar with some Hausa and Fulani spears (more than familiar with the rest of their arsenals), but that's mainly been the larger cavalry lances so far. Rather than the smaller, more utilitarian spears. Point on Dogon work well taken, I remember some similar items now.

On the Madgascar one, very good points. Actually the friend who pointed me in the right direction on it, first thing he asked to see was the fit of the shaft into the head and shoe.

I'm going to try and pick up a copy of Armes Blanches De L'afrique Noire, looks very useful!

Cheers,

Iain
Old 22nd February 2013, 02:33 PM   #20
zalmoxis

Default arms

The book is not great "Armes blanche". There is no good info in it just pictures and no location or tribe well defined.
The picture with the Madagascar is from old postcard...well not so old around 1940 as I said. The other is form "Spears and stuffs...."
There is no one book good about African spears except for the ones from Congo.
Just little info here and there.
I like your spears they have character...
Old 1st November 2018, 08:42 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Default thanks

Thanks for Iain for putting me on the scent that led here and thanks Colin for the extract reference... here is my personal favourite African spear at home, finally great to see it referenced... interesting that they use the word ancient in 1921... I wonder how old it is...

214.5cms tall, 100% complete, 42cms head, 65 including the socket.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:39 PM   #22
Iain

A near identical match to the Illorin example Gav. Impressive piece, the dimensions of the head are a little smaller than the two I owned that were similar, but not by much.
Old 3rd November 2018, 12:35 AM   #23
Edster

Here is an interesting article from 1861 about the weapons "On the Arabs and Negro tribes of Central Africa" by John Petherick. Has some period sketches of spears and offers a context to the use of various weapons of that era. Some of his collection is shown on the Pit Rivers site.

If this link doesn't work check out him and the title on Google Books.

Better access. Vol. 4, p.171 of Royal United Services institute. 1861.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?...iew=1up;seq=23

https://books.google.com/books?id=AE...Africa&f=false

Also, the Funj were the dominant kingdom from 1500 to 1821 from the Atbara River down the Nile tp well below the Blue Nile junction after the defeated the last Nubian Christian kingdom, Alodia, on the Nile. Alodia had its capital near Khartoum.

Check out "Abu El Kaylic, the Kingmaker of the Funj of Sennar", A. Robinson American Anthropologist, 1929, Vol. 31. No.2 p. 232-264. Good info on the Funj army of the time.

https://anthrosource.onlinelibrary.w...1433/1929/31/2

Best regards,
Ed

Last edited by Edster; 3rd November 2018 at 12:57 AM.
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 05:15 AM   #24
Iain

I have yet to take proper pictures but members might enjoy a quick look at a monster example from northern Nigeria recently acquired. This was in a museum since 1913 and field collected between 1905 and that date. Shown with a takouba to give a sense of the scale, this one is 92cm overall and with shaft would have been around 3 meters overall, quite sharp still!
Attached Images

Old 5th November 2018, 09:30 AM   #25
Gavin Nugent

That's an impressive example Iain!

Ed, you dig up some great references here and with the Sudan shield, great image from the French book.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 06:12 PM   #26
TVV

I hope you would not mind if I add this Mossi(?) lance head to the thread. The tip, not counting the socket is 70 cm long (27.5 inches). It makes a decent size lance from Northern Cameroon look small. When I see these huge lance heads, I always think of Denham's drawing of a Bornu bodyguard.

Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 06:36 PM   #27
Iain

That's another monster Teodor! How long is that one? Also curious for the details of the attribution to the Mossi. I always found them a very interesting group often referenced but with very little to know information out there on how to distinguish their arms/armour.
Old 5th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #28
TVV

Iain,

The entire thing with what is left of the shaft is 160 cm. I need to measure the length of head and socket together, but the head is 70 cm without the socket, so it is truly monstrous. I wonder how these lances were balanced, as the heads are so ridiculously heavy.

The attribution is a good question. I believe I saw similarly decorated spears in one of Wofgang's photo albums identified as Dogon or Mossi. Since the Dogon are not really known for their heavy cavalry, I assumed it must be Mossi. That being said, I am not even close to being certain about this attribution.

Teodor
Old 6th November 2018, 03:32 AM   #29
TVV

I measured the head with the socket, and it is 101.6 cm or exactly 40 inches.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:37 AM   #30
Martin Lubojacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I have yet to take proper pictures but members might enjoy a quick look at a monster example from northern Nigeria recently acquired. This was in a museum since 1913 and field collected between 1905 and that date. Shown with a takouba to give a sense of the scale, this one is 92cm overall and with shaft would have been around 3 meters overall, quite sharp still!
Hi Iain,
Finally possibility to assign this old sword (photos below), which is very similar to the sword which is on your photo together with the spearhead an takouba. - Do you, please, know the tribe ?
Best,
Martin
Attached Images