Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd August 2020, 12:37 PM   #1
Yvain

Default Note on the origin of Tuareg's sword blades

Hi everyone !

As Jim very kindly shared with me some interesting articles regarding the takouba swords of the Tuareg, I thought that I might try translating those wrote in French for a larger audience.

As English isn't my first language, I apologize in advance for any mistake or weird turn of phrase. (Though I must say that Lhote writting isn't really easy to translate, or even read, even though I'm a native French speaker !)

Anyway, let me know what you thought of it and if it was useful to you, and I'll most likely try to translate some others later on !

(And feel free to share this one if you want !)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Note on the origin of Tuareg's sword blades.pdf (291.4 KB, 790 views)
Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 12:41 AM   #2
TVV

Thank you Yvain, much appreciated. The article was written almost 70 years ago, and before Oakeshott, so it is understandable that Lohte's knowledge at the time would be outdated by now, with plenty of inaccuracies. However, it is still fascinating for me as a takouba collector because it provides an idea of some of the older blades that can be found in takouba mounts.

Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Yvain

Thank you Teodor, I'm glad it was useful to you !

Lohte's mistake are indeed quite forgivable, but I wanted to make sure that people less knowledgeable on the history of swords that might read this article wouldn't be mislead by the outdated parts.

But it is still a very interesting article indeed !
Old 24th August 2020, 02:08 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Yvain, I wanted to thank you as well for the stellar effort you put into not only translating this key article among the literature on takouba, but for the wonderfully useful addition of annotation integrated into it.

One of the most common obstacles in the study of ethnographic arms is often the language barriers in much of the literature available for study, in addition to many of these often being, like this one, quite old and hard to find.

The approach you have initiated here is fantastic, and in my opinion, will hopefully lead to these venerable and often obscure articles offering most important material and understanding to students of arms history and ethnography, thanks to your annotation.

As has been noted, there are of course numerous errors and flaws often in this older material, but by the use of annotation they are brought 'into the fold' by showing the material observed often 'in real time' of earlier period and in place with that of subsequent research since.

My furnishing of copies of these articles to you was of course a pleasure in being able to help you with your research, but you have returned the favor tenfold by generously working to translate and most importantly, annotate, this most important material.

Thank you so very much!!!
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2020, 08:03 PM   #5
Yvain

Thanks Jim, you're too kind with me !

As you noted, access to the literature is indeed one of the most challenging aspect in our field of study, and I can't thank you enough for your generosity in that regard.

I can only hope that my work will make this reference more accessible, and I'll try to do the same with the Morel article !