Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th October 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Bill M

Default Philippine Dagger

Knowing I liked the Javanese keris, an old friend told me he had a "large wavy blade sword." It was a fantastic dual twistcore Moro kris with a beautiful original scabbard. There was also a kampilan and this dagger.

It was in the estate of his great grandfather, an American general who served in the Philippines during the late 1800s and early 1900s. It has been suggested that this dagger belonged to a Philippine General Leandro Fullon.

I admit that I did not have a clue as to the significance of these these three pieces that were the beginning of a life-long fascination with the weapons and rich culture of the Philippine Islands.

Hope that you enjoy the pictures.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 12:50 AM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Stunning cross-hilt dagger. What is that happening along the medial ridge down near the tip? It looks as if the fuller transitions to a flat ridge, and again to a noticeable diamond cross-section... Could the dagger possibly be re-hilted from an earlier European blade?
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 01:26 AM   #3
Bill M

Note that when I first got this dagger some rust showed up under the powerful electronic flash units used to make these pictures. I quickly cleaned it off, but it is still there is these older images.
Old 27th October 2010, 08:49 AM   #4
Dimasalang

Thanks for reposting these photos Bill! This dagger is awesome.
Can you let me know the name of the American General?
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

I too would like to thank you for reposting these pictures of this wonderful dagger. I usually copy photos of interest so I can use them as reference later but for some reason I either didn't copy these or some how lost or misplaced them if I did. Could you please answer a couple of questions on this for me? The first question is whether or not the wooden scabbard is painted or just of an extremely dark wood? The second is whether the fittings are of silver, nickel silver or silver plated copper or brass? The third is whether you own the beautiful piece of history or if it still belongs to your friend? Dimasalang has already ask my final question of who the General was who brought this dagger back . Again many thanks for reposting these pictures.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 27th October 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Sajen

Thank you for reposting this beautiful dagger!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 11:59 PM   #7
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
I too would like to thank you for reposting these pictures of this wonderful dagger. I usually copy photos of interest so I can use them as reference later but for some reason I either didn't copy these or some how lost or misplaced them if I did. Could you please answer a couple of questions on this for me? The first question is whether or not the wooden scabbard is painted or just of an extremely dark wood? The second is whether the fittings are of silver, nickel silver or silver plated copper or brass? The third is whether you own the beautiful piece of history or if it still belongs to your friend? Dimasalang has already ask my final question of who the General was who brought this dagger back . Again many thanks for reposting these pictures.

Robert
The scabbard is dark wood. Not painted.

The dagger is in my collection. He offered to sell the three pieces and I bought them. At the time I did not have a clue about the dagger. Thought it was something from Europe. I posted it on this Forum in 2004 when I got it and had several responses identifying it. Zelbone and Battara were right on target! At the time I had no knowledge of Philippine weapons.

The fittings do not seem to be plated. The chain may be plated. Don't know the nickel/silver content. I have stored it in a safe deposit box, will take a closer look when I am at the bank.

I put it there because I have had some strange to unpleasant emails demanding that I return the dagger to them, all of whom claim to be a direct descendant of Fullon.

I forgot the American general's name, but will ask my friend. These pieces were all he had from the PI. All the rest of the estate is sold.

I had originally agreed to give it to a PI friend, but we both agreed that it should go to a museum. I am in contact with a Moro Princess of the Buayan dynasty who is working to build a museum. She is well-known and I trust her. I would like to return the dagger to it's homeland. Should go to the Visayas, but Putri can have a section of her museum for other areas. It is part of PI heritage and should go home soon.

Here is my original post. I was using the name Vajrayana, 3/22/04

http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/002102.html

Re-reading the responses I am again impressed by the knowledge of the people on this Forum. I have learned much here! Very grateful!

Last edited by Bill M; 28th October 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 29th October 2010, 10:41 AM   #8
carlos

Congratulations for this dagger, is PERFECT!! I think is one of the more beatiful dagger I īve seen!!
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 02:50 PM   #9
Bill M

Thanks for the compliments!

Just found out that "Leandro" as in General Leandro Fullon means, "Lion Man."
Old 21st November 2010, 03:09 PM   #10
Spunjer

Beautiful indeed, bill, beautiful indeed...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 03:16 PM   #11
Atlantia

It's a very fine dagger indeed! Beautiful.
A 'picture in your wallet' kind of piece!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 11:56 PM   #12
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
It's a very fine dagger indeed! Beautiful.
A 'picture in your wallet' kind of piece!
I really like this description! "A picture in your wallet kind of piece." Bravo! I WILL use this!
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:11 AM   #13
Gavin Nugent

Default Very nice

Very nice Bill, very nice. I can not add anything that has not already been added. I would only say as a matter of opinion, get that blade professionally polished, it is such a shame to not see it as bright and fine as the dress that surrounds it.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote