Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th March 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
B.I

Hi Richard,
Attached is a top scabbard mount. I dont suppose its worth saying it would be very hard to make?
Attached Images

B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Greg, Jeff, or anyone else, can you give me an estimated of the amount of steel removed from Richard's blade?

If blades were sharpened, or cleaned through the time, as they must have been, why does some collectors pay so much attention to the POB (point of ballance)?

It seems to me, that the POB of any sword, can have changed quite a lot during the life of the sword, so why the big interest, not to say anything about the change of a hilt. Any comments would be apreasiated.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Not difficult to make just expensive . In Europe and America should I say.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 08:48 PM   #4
Jens Nordlunde

What are you reffering to Tim?
Old 7th March 2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

I could make one but the cost would be pretty much the same as a good sword.
Old 7th March 2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Jens Nordlunde

What do you mean Tim?
Old 7th March 2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Tim Simmons

sorry Jens, I am talking about a scabbard top replacement and trying to match the old metalwork.
Old 7th March 2007, 09:42 PM   #8
Pukka Bundook

Brian,
Thanks for the picture!
Yes, to me it looks a bit of a challenge!..........but there goes that word again,...Challenge!
Challenges have to be met,...Don'cha know?

The scabbard I have has a ring on the middle fitting, so suppose it would also have one on the upper?

Jens,
I believe Tim is referring to the cost of making the upper fitting for the scabbard.

Re. how much metal removed, don't know. More sweat than metal i think!

Tim,
I see what you mean, but in my book I equate difficult and expensive together!.......as in, if it's easy to make, any daft --- can make one, so it should be cheap! Whereas if it's a bit harder to make, then Hmmm,.......it's gonn'a cost you!

Sorry for answering Jen's question to you Tim, Your post came up while I was answering mine!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 03:43 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have just caught up on this very interesting thread, and Richard, I can only say you have done an unbelievably remarkable job at saving this well worn and terribly maimed warrior. How lucky this sword was that you were the one who took it in!!
In looking at the later entries where you have included the scabbard, which you indicate is apparantly original to the sword, I wanted to include some important information. This scabbard form, with the long fluted chape piece in iron, as well as pierced iron mounts, is of the form associated with Afghan swords. I have seen examples of Afghan shashka with scabbards of this form and it seems that paluoars often have these type scabbards as well.

It is known of course that weapons such as the tulwar of course diffused from the Northwest Frontier into Afghan regions, and this may be one which followed that course. Many of the weapons in Afghan regions, just as in the Mughal sphere, reflected profound Persian influence. It is interesting to note that the tulwar hilt on this example has unusual flueret style quillon terminals that correspond somewhat to the hilt form shown in Pant ("Indian Arms & Armour" p.115) and which the author has curiously labeled the 'purbi' or 'purbiya' hilt (=Eastern, as he claims these derive from Eastern India).
These sharply stylized fleuret type terminals seem distinctly Mughal as they are seen as well on some Mysori hilts, and it would be extremely difficult to assign them to a specific region, or to designate the hilt form with a term such as applied in Pant. It does seem key that the tulwar itself seems to carry Mughal associated form and appears to have been scabbarded by most probably armourers in Afghan regions.

A classic example of a well worthy weapon with some apparantly fascinating history that was all but destined for the scrap heap due to the thoughtless vandalization of some misguided 'person' .....and wonderfully saved by the perseverence of an empassioned collector!! Well done Richard!!!!

Some very good points brought up by Jens as well on these extremely worked on blades, often reprofiled and excessively sharpened, and in this case where a good portion of the blade at the tip appears to be missing....that this may indeed affect the POB of the blade. Regardless of that, the appearance of the blade as it stands now is excellent!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote