Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st July 2016, 12:42 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Oakeshott type XIIIa sold at christies 1984.

Oakeshott type XIIIa sold at christies 1984.
This sword is illustrated in “sword in hand” as a type 13a fig 69 and the same fig 83 as a type XIIA .
It seems to be the same sword.
May be somebody has explanation for it and also may be better pictures from both swords.

Best

CERJAK
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 01:52 PM   #2
Lee
EAAF Staff

Default The mystery continues

Well, clearly the same sword. I did not see it pictured in the Christie's London 1984 catalogs upon quick perusal. Sword in Hand was a nicely cleaned up version of a series of articles in The Gun Report that represented an updating of material from The Archaeology of Weapons. Looking at the original magazine the caption for what becomes fig. 83 is "A typical sword of Type XIIIA"; the next illustration of another sword gives the Burrell collection attribution in both versions (magazine and book). The same sword shows up again in Records (XIIIa 12) as "Collection: Private".
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Reventlov

There are a lot of confusing references and captions in Oakeshott's books unfortunately...

This particular sword came up for auction a few years ago, and I believe it has made its way into the collection of a fellow forum member. The photo is from the recent exhibition in Solingen.

The lot number is 119; as it happens, lot 120 is also shown in Sword in Hand as fig. 14.

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogu...209/page4.html
Attached Images

Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 05:17 PM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile Most interesting

Description from Thomas Del Mar sale (9 Dec 2009):[/I]
Quote:
A COMPOSITE MEDIEVAL GREAT SWORD, CIRCA 1270-1320
in excavated condition, with broad flat near parallel-edged blade tapering to a blunt point, formed with a pair of fullers over almost half of its length and cut with a latten-filled heart and cross mark on each side (the latten with losses), iron hilt comprising a pair of 16th century straight tapering quillons of circular section, and slightly compressed wheel pommel, and later fabric-bound grip
98cm; 38 1/2in blade

Provenance
Christie, Manson & Woods, 20th July 1983, lot 27[I]
Not described as 'composite' in the 1983 catalog or in the Sword - Form and Thought catalog where it is #18 and passes Peter Johnsson's proportional measurements.

So the attribution to Burrell Collection was a typo and the sale date was a year earlier.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 05:58 PM   #5
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reventlov
There are a lot of confusing references and captions in Oakeshott's books unfortunately...

This particular sword came up for auction a few years ago, and I believe it has made its way into the collection of a fellow forum member. The photo is from the recent exhibition in Solingen.

The lot number is 119; as it happens, lot 120 is also shown in Sword in Hand as fig. 14.

http://www.thomasdelmar.com/Catalogu...209/page4.html
Hello Reventlov
Thank you very much for the quick answer .this blade with 2 fullers is very similar than my sword Medieval sword of type XIII A with with latten-inlaid decorations
Best
Cerjak
Old 21st July 2016, 06:05 PM   #6
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Description from Thomas Del Mar sale (9 Dec 2009):[/I]

Not described as 'composite' in the 1983 catalog or in the Sword - Form and Thought catalog where it is #18 and passes Peter Johnsson's proportional measurements.

So the attribution to Burrell Collection was a typo and the sale date was a year earlier.
Hello Lee
Thank you for this extra information
Best
Cerjak
Old 22nd July 2016, 02:58 AM   #7
Reventlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Thank you very much for the quick answer .this blade with 2 fullers is very similar than my sword Medieval sword of type XIII A with with latten-inlaid decorations
No problem! It is definitely an important comparison for your sword. It can also be added to the list of swords with the heart-over-cross mark; the mark is just visible at the bottom of the photo.
Reventlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 10:51 AM   #8
cornelistromp

Jean-Luc,

as you probably know, the sword is in my collection, I think I already posted a thread about this sword! please look under threads cornelistromp.

what do you exactly want to know?

best,
jasper

ps it was on loan to the Klingenmuseum in Solingen last year.

ah here is my thread from 2009;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11231

Last edited by cornelistromp; 23rd July 2016 at 11:23 AM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 01:22 PM   #9
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornelistromp
Jean-Luc,

as you probably know, the sword is in my collection, I think I already posted a thread about this sword! please look under threads cornelistromp.

what do you exactly want to know?

best,
jasper

ps it was on loan to the Klingenmuseum in Solingen last year.

ah here is my thread from 2009;

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11231
Hi jasper
I have never seen your post from 2009 before and It was only when reading the comments from Lee and Reventlov that I understood that you are the lucky owner of this beautifull sword.I have been looking for pictures for this sword because the pictures "In sword In hand "are realy poor to compare blade ,quillions
And latten with my sword.
Both swords are with similar blade geometry with double fuller over nearly half its length also the latten-inlaid a an heart mark and at last a straight quillons of circular section with trumpet-shaped terminals
So it would be interesting to see this two swords together .
Best
Jean-Luc
Old 24th July 2016, 11:55 AM   #10
cornelistromp

Hi Jean Luc,

yes of course we can do that some day.

best,
Jasper
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote