Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Closed Thread

Old 25th January 2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Workshop Techniques; Not such a black art as you imagine.

Salaams all~ Note to library.

I recall a long thread a while ago about the various techniques used in restoration and repair which for several reasons degenerated into a battle of the restoration versus conservation and the "do nothing" fraternity. Before you reach for your guns on this emotional subject please believe me that I view the subject in all seriousness and accept the reservations of those with strong views (as I have on certain projects) and will indeed often do nothing with those pieces that are too dodgey to attempt and are better left. At the same time there are modern techniques of restoration and repair which we ought to be right up to date on and many which the beginner can attempt without wrecking a job.

Although I collect old and antique Omani artefacts I also have an in house workshop that makes and repairs Khanjars and Swords. In addition I am in direct touch with another group of workshops since not everything can be done by one artesan alone... The Khanjar for example requires input and hands on benchwork from 3 or 4 separate centres 500 miles apart. Theres the Hiltmaker and Scabbardmaker .. The Beltmaker and the Bladesmith...

So far as I can see, however, no centralised techniques register exists on workshop technology, ideas or materials. The closest I got was looking at miniature railways enthusiast tools and equipment until I discovered purely by accident a brilliant site doing Jewellery; including tools materials and equipment~

http://art.jewelrymakingmagazines.co...h%20Metal.aspx

The example shown at the above website is a demo on a simple tumbler device for cleaning small items like pommels and hilt parts. The same site has excellent demos on soldering and gas flame apparatus as well as excellent details on the correct use of sandpaper and other workshop stuff that enthusiasts can follow easily and safely.

Jewellery making is the closest thing I have seen to repair and restoration of basic ethnographic weapons without going into the realms of the big stuff better left to the experts such as carbonisers and sand blasters etc... but in this case everyone is capable, with a few simple tools, of getting a very good result...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 25th January 2013, 05:21 PM   #2
manteris1

Default wow !

hi all, this is great..............thanks...................jimmy
Old 28th January 2013, 07:18 AM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

I can see no reason for this post without the appropriate connection to a past thread. If one exists please provide the link to it and I will add it.

Thanks

Lew

Last edited by Lew; 28th January 2013 at 07:33 AM.
Closed Thread