FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2012, 10:15 AM   #1
regihis

Default Kaskara - Translation?

Kaskara with indigenous iron

regihis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 07:20 PM   #2
TribalBlades

i love the leather scabbard. the colour and texture are just beautiful.
TribalBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Dom

Hi "regihis"
honestly, it should may be Arab Sudanese ... not easy to translate
the condition of the blade doesn't gave a little chance to the translator
too much rust and specially some places too much pitted
sorry, may be somebody else ?
anyway nice and interesting kaskara

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 11:04 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is a very nice example of kaskara which in my opinion are likely from Sennar regions due to the Mamluk influences with use of thuluth, which is Arabic calligraphy used often as in these cases as decorative motif. The bordered panels here may be simply repititions of key phrases or possibly invocations, so may not be translatable (certain to be the case if Dom is not able to decipher).
There are examples of kaskara as shown in Briggs (1965) with this kind of thuluth on the triple fuller blades known as masri, and somehow classified by him as Hausa, but this seems of course incorrect.
The brass crossguards also seem a unique feature of the group of kaskara which seem to be forming a particular classification as noted, from Sennar regions and typically of Mahdist period into probably 1920s.

As always, I welcome other input as these are simply my own observations developed from research over time and especially formulated from discussions with Iain and Chris and thier tenacious work on these North African broadswords. Further research is ongoing, so I hope others will share examples from thier collections to continue our study.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Iain

These small sized kaskara with thuluth are an odd item to me. They seem to invariably look exactly the same - brass guard, distinct leather wrap which is broader than many kaskara.

They also seem to be mostly blunt. Because of all this I'm a bit mystified about what their purpose would have been, or even if they are something of an item made at the turn of the century due to the desire by British service members and travelers for something to take back home... I'm not saying that is necessarily the case and I'm not trying to be negative about the piece under discussion. I'm just bringing it up as an idea.

For me these slot in with the croc kaskara that also have thin, thuluth blades and no edge. A bit of a mystery all in all.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
Mefidk

Seems to me that there are a number of types of thuluth to be found on weapons from this area. This example is very typical of the most commonly encountered. As far as I can see this particular type of thuluth with the kind of chain pattern around the edges seems to be normally associated with certain kinds of Sudanese weapons, namely blunt kaskara, knives and triple knife sets, and haldies. I do have a small curved knife with a bone handle with this pattern but this has a definite edge and is quite usable (edge could have been applied later though).

So I can't add much to the question of whether these kaskara are really old or newer (1900) tourist items. What I think we can be sure of is that they were not used as weapons. They have no edge, and if my guess is right no peg holding the blade in the grip meaning the short tang would not hold in the hilt if put under any real stress - at least my example does not as I found out when the crocodile held on to the blade a little too tightly . They often also come with small crocodiles as scabbards which would be pretty impractical for daily use - e.g. legs would break off.
I know of provenanced examples dating to the turn of the centuary but not as yet before. I also have not seen this type of thuluth script on collections of arms with provenance from Omdurman or other Sudan wars battles prior to 1900.

All that said, it does not mean that these were not used for some other purpose or from non-Mahdist groups, perhaps used as status symbols e.g. slavers - but again why not decorate a real weapon instead?

Its still an open question as far as I'm concerned, but I guess that I'm leaning to turn of the 19C soldier's momentos. So it would be great to hear of earlier examples if they are out there and can prove this idea to be bogus?

There is one more interesting thing about the script. At least in my example it was translated to be repeated invocations of Allah, Mohammed, and Ali. The latter could be a useful clue since Sunni groups would not mention Ali. So perhaps this could be used to identify likely and unlikely ethnic groups as producers of these?

Chris
Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2012, 03:10 PM   #7
Iain

Hi Chris,

Great to hear your thoughts on these. Looking back on a few examples you are of course right.

The patterns seen on triple fuller or single fuller blades is different - and not the "chain" motif.

Just to illustrate - a little image from a takouba/kaskara blade (hope Wolf doesn't mind me using it ) and a flat croc kaskara I used to own.

I recall the same construction issues with a couple of knives that came with the aforementioned croc kaskara, can't recall if the kaskara itself lacked the hilt pin.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote