Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th November 2014, 01:41 AM   #1
ChrisPer

Default French cannon 15th-16th Century, Rhodes

I was recently privileged to go to the Musee de l'Armee, at the Hotel des Invalides, Paris. As an Australian I find the highest thrill in going to see places that had walls; and the artillery in one gallery are of the period that brought down the Medieval walls and inspired the Italian system of fortification commonly known as Star forts, developed in response to the smashing superiority of cannon against medieval walls when France under Charles VIII invaded the Italian peninsula from 1494..

The week before I had seen one of the simplest examples of these, Fort Medoc a simple four-point star fort of earth banks with moat that was part of a three-fort chain designed by Vauban to close the Gironde to ships sailing from the Atlantic to attack Bordeaux.
Star forts described here

Excellent resource on star forts history and operation under siege
Resource on seige warfare in age of star forts

The great sieges of Rhodes were in 1444 by the Sultan of Egypt and 1480 by Mehmet the Conqueror (who had taken Constantinople in 1453). The Knights survived those sieges, but finally were defeated in 1522 and their few survivors moved to re-establish in Malta.

Having read this I was thrilled to see the dates on a series of French bronze guns in the Musee de l'Armee which could indicate they were involved in this campaign - except that their provenance was Rhodes. These guns instead were made to defend Rhodes where the Knights Hospitaliers of Saint John eventually re-established themselves in 1309 after they were kicked out of Jerusalem by the Turk. They show what the gunfounders of that period were up to.
Firstly, they are all solid bronze rather than forged iron like the bombards of fifty to a hundred years earlier. They were made of 1.5 to 2.5 tonnes of bronze, a magnificent feat of gunfounding. Just melting that much bronze probably required ten times that weight of charcoal, and therefore consumed large patches of forest.

They are marked with the arms of the commissioning individuals cast in high relief, but without the formal sophistication and symmetry typical of decoration on guns of a hundred years later. Formed rings are
plate-bands, and multiple flats on some give a polygonal profile that shows quite sophisticated mould-making. Decorations include fleur-de-lys, fleur-de-lys as a garland, and rampant lions.

The guns range in form from a short-fat tube that is more a howitzer form, to the super-long grand culverin. They are all cast with strong large-diameter trunnions, so the carriages were obviously not the wooden 'beds' of the more medieval type.

The culasse (Arse-end) of the guns have lion-faces, radiant suns (seen later on the guns of Louis XIV) and the late ones have an awkward-looking projecting beam, above the centre line, which I presume to be a lift point for slinging and perhaps was also meant for the wedge (quoin) to lift and set the elevation. None had sights that I could see.

The first gun I am showing is the oldest. From the label:
1. Cannon of Louis XI, 1476
length 2.24m, 245mm bore, weight 1633 kg
Ball of stone or iron
From Rhodes

Shape in transition from the bombard and the Renaissance French cannon. It carries fleur de lys surmounted by a corona of high flowers. The band around the mouth is particularly interesting it says inscribed in Gothic characters

Quote:
The command of Louis, by the grace of God king of France, the eleventh of the name, Jean Chollet, knight, master of artillery said Lord led me in Chartres, 1478
The second gun in this post is

2. Cannon of the end of the reign of Louis XI (last quarter of the 15th century)
Bronze, length 2.56m, 180mm calibre, 1,421 kg, ball of stone or iron
From Rhodes

The morphology of this piece is developed further from that of bombards; the culasse is less thick than the reinforce. It is decorated with large plate-bands/ fleurs
de lys, and the muzzle with a garland of fleur de lys which is typical of the reign of Louis XII.

The photos are my own and may be freely used without attribution except for the last one of the Grande Culverin which is open copyright from Wikipedia. The line drawing from the second resource on siege warfare and star forts.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChrisPer; 10th November 2014 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fix a typo
ChrisPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 08:30 AM   #2
ChrisPer

Next three guns:

3. Cannon of the Tower of Saint Nicholas -Rhodes beginning of the 16th Century

Length 2.(43)m Calibre 232(?)mm 1,427kg?

Carries 3 arms - the order, Grand Master Emory d'Amboise, and Dormelde de Vilaragut (hard to read this plaque in the photo...

TURIS - S - NICOLAI PRO-DEFESOR

4. Year 1507 with lions face on culasse

5. Cannon the Saint-Gilles
Made at Lyons, 1507
3m long
230mm cal
2,032Kg
From Rhodes
Charles Alleman de Rochechinard Grand Prior commanded 4 cannon made in 1507, carried to Rhodes in 1509.

Order des Hospitaliers de Jerusalem Half-round, facets forward one-third alternating lions and fleur de lys on facets
Attached Images

Old 10th November 2014, 10:35 AM   #3
ChrisPer

7. Coulverine carrying the arms of Phillippe Villiers de l'Isle-Adam
3.67m long
Bronze
Beginning of 16th Century
144mm cal
2,533 kg
Rhodes

Cul de lampe decorated with a sun.

8. Grande Coulverine with arms of Emory of Amboise
Beginning of 16th Century
5.4m
165mm cal
3,343 kg
Like all of these, ball of stone or iron.

Fine garland with motif vegetal
Made at the orders of Hospitaliers de Saint-Jean de Jerusalem d'Emery d'Amboise was Master, in 1503 to 1512.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: 330px-Grand_culverin_of_the_Hospitallers_1500_1510_French_work_165mm_540cm_3343kg_iron_ball_15kg_Eme (50.5 KB, 683 views)
Old 10th November 2014, 12:26 PM   #4
willy

Hi Chris! fancy meeting you here! Lovely pics and great informative text. You mention the 'Palace of the Knights' in Rhodes. Don't know if you've been there yet but it's well worth a visit. How they achieved what they did in those days of horse,hand and sail beggers belief. Rock in the middle of the med? Let's build a fortress here to rival the best in Europe,..no problem! There is a crypt with stone carved tombs of the Knights Hospitalers who died on the island. Definitely something to see, and I can recommend Rhodes as a place to visit,I had a wonderful couple of weeks there back in the 80's, hope it hasn't changed too much.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2014, 01:24 PM   #5
ChrisPer

Hi Willy! The links you and others posted over here made me want to be part of this, to pay back a bit of the colossal reference that EAAF have made their forum into. I don't have very much of the ancient stuff I love to read about, but what I love I try to share. For instance, you and others are invited to try muzzleloading arms with me at the Perth Muzzle Loaders' Club.
Old 12th November 2014, 06:22 PM   #6
willy

Perth Australia?? That'll be a bit far away for me Chris but many thanks for the invitation. Enjoy your 'walkabout' looks like you're getting around at fair bit I know what you mean about the ancient stuff,fascinating,I'm quite lucky in that respect living in England,don't really have to travel too far to find things of interest,tend to take it for granted though, 'there's always tomorrow' which is wrong. I used to work on a road called 'Minories' which is literally within a brisk walk of the Tower, spent many a happy dinner hour in there,it was wonderful when it was quiet,unbelievably atmospheric. Have fun. Willy.
willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 06:52 PM   #7
ChrisPer

Finally, from the colonnade around the yard of the Museum, a non-Rhodes French cannon of the period. From the plaque:

Cannon of Louis XII. Bronze, cast between 1498 and 1515.
Length 3.15m
Calibre 172mm
Weight 1870 kg
Projectile: ball of stone or iron.

This (fire-mouth) is completely characteristic of French Renaissance bronze cannon ; the reinforcement is completely smooth, while the volee is covered with fleur de lys. The reinforcement presents the porcupine, a symbol of Louis XII, and the initial of the founder, G, around the vent (located at the back of the gun, this is the place to set on fire the powder).
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2014, 12:39 AM   #8
ChrisPer

Are people interested in these cannon enough to want other cannon posts?
Old 11th December 2014, 04:44 AM   #9
Shakethetrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPer

Yes!

I've been to the Invalides several times over the years and some of the ones shown are like seeing old friends!
Shakethetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2014, 11:57 AM   #10
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPer
Old cannons is this forum middle name, Chris
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote