Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 27th December 2008, 05:17 PM   #1
Ferguson

Default Bolo (Tenegre?) for comment

I've had this bolo for a few months. Just got around to snapping some pics. It doesn't look too old, maybe mid 1900's? But it seems to be made in the traditional way, and is of good quality. Standard chisel ground blade. Wooden scabbard with leather keeper in the Visayan style. Wood (Narra?) hilt. Any observations welcomed. Thanks for looking.
Steve

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello again Steve,
Very nice tenegre. I would agree with it being the second quarter of the 20th century. Is the brass ferrel on the hilt seemed and soldered or is it cast? Could you possible post a picture of the back side of the scabbard? I'd like to see how the bands are attached. The hilt looks to have very nice carving. Does it continue all the way around or is the other side a little plainer like most I've seen? One of these days could you please PM me with what you use on the wooden scabbards and leather of your pieces? This is another very nice addition to your ever growing collection of sharp pointy things!! Thanks for sharing. Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 03:28 AM   #3
Ferguson

Thanks Robert,
The ferrule is soldered, as are the bands of the scabbard. The solder joints are very precisely fitted, and very little solder shows. The bands are simply nailed to the scabbard. The leather keeper is sewn on the back, rather than the interlocking, almost dovetailed joint, that one often sees on Visayan scabbards. I'll try to get a pic posted tomorrow.

For my old leather goods I use Pecard Antique Leather dressing. I've been very pleased with it. http://pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...y_Code=antique After the leather has been treated for some time, and is pliable, I often use a coat of Fiebing Leather balm with Atom Wax http://www.fiebing.com/Top_Finishes.aspx

On wood, if the finish or patina is intact, I just use a coat of Renaissance Wax. http://www.restorationproduct.com/ If the wood is in very bad condition, I will sometimes use some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil, which is a linseed oil gunstock finish. http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...ID=5&subcat=11

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2008, 03:48 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Steve,
Thank you very much for the information and the links to the products. I'm looking forward to seeing what you add next to your ever growing collection. Thanks again.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2019, 05:19 AM   #5
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferguson
I've had this bolo for a few months. Just got around to snapping some pics. It doesn't look too old, maybe mid 1900's? But it seems to be made in the traditional way, and is of good quality. Standard chisel ground blade. Wooden scabbard with leather keeper in the Visayan style. Wood (Narra?) hilt. Any observations welcomed. Thanks for looking.
Steve
Hi Steve,

Apologies for necro'ing this thread, but I was surprised by the similarity of our figural hilts. May I inquire where you got yours? I got mine from a knife collector in Manila, Philippines, who in turn got the piece directly from an Ilonggo merchant in the 1970s. My piece was supposedly done during or shortly after World War II.
Attached Images

Last edited by xasterix; 6th February 2019 at 08:10 AM.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote