Default Philippine? ID, Please

derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
tom hyle

It looks Moro 2nd 1/2 of 20th
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 09:44 PM   #3
derek

Thanks, Tom. I thought so, but the turn of the grip seemed odd to me.
-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
It looks Moro 2nd 1/2 of 20th
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Late 20th C. Mindanao kris

Agree with Tom and Derek -- recent work from Mindanao. The brass on the hilt and scabbard are typical of late 20th C. work coming from Lanao del Sur and perhaps other areas in Muslim Mindanao. The scabbard and blade are a poor fit; possibly a marriage. The crooked hilt (of bone) is reminiscent of a kawali from Sulawesi. Bugis hilts are often similarly angled.

This style of crooked hilt is seen commonly on recent "Sultan's" kris from Mindanao, some of them quite well made and with decent materials. I have heard of two brothers in Lanao del Sur who specialize in making high end small kris, often using ivory and gold decorations. Some unscrupulous dealers in Manila attempt to sell their work as antiques for several thousands of dollars. Poor quality blades are the norm on these recently made pieces, and an important indicator for the careful buyer that these are not the real deal. Nice examples of modern craftmanship on the hilts and scabbards, just not antiques. Caveat emptor!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2005, 11:25 PM   #5
tom hyle

The pistol grip hilt is also perhaps related to gunong hilts.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:36 AM   #6
Conogre

Perhaps a dumb question, but of all of the Philippine weapons the ones that I've had the best chance to examine were latter pieces from the Lanao del sur region (30+) with many of them having elaborate culy-ques and twists, the pistol-grip hilt, bone/ivory hilts and such that I can't help wondering what older pieces from this region looked like?
To me, newer pieces from this region seem to have an Indonesian flavor that's uncharacteristic of Moro bladed weapons in general, but the large numbers of them with similar styles coming from different makers would seem to indicate that the tendency has been there for a considerable length of time.
Perhaps some of you that are from that area or who have travelled there can cast some light on it for me, particularly those who have or have seen older pieces with this origin?
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2005, 04:50 PM   #7
moose

Arrow

One is used for "Exotic Effect" and is thrown and stuck missing it's target in the very beginning of the movie the Scorpion King.

Very similar with crooked Ivory hilt and all.

moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote