Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th March 2016, 07:00 PM   #1
digenis

I have picked up several items at Czerny's, Auctions Imperial and Hermann Historica. I do think the prices have gone through the roof. Nonetheless, you do find excellent quality items in these auction venues. I agree with the previous post the EBay has some excellent finds if you are persistent and know your stuff.
digenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 11:16 PM   #2
A. G. Maisey

In respect of my ebay comments, I feel that I should be fair by saying that at a different stage in my collecting life, I would probably have bought from ebay, and from on-line auction houses.

However, I've been collecting for more than 60 years now, and I'm at a different point in my collecting than I was 30 or 40 years ago.

Roughly three times a week I get queries from other collectors asking me to comment on keris that they have bought from ebay or some other on-line source, sometimes the keris that I am asked to comment on are pretty nice keris, and at the price paid, they were a good buy, but even so, I have yet to see any keris referred to me in this way that I have had any desire at all to add to my collection.

Similarly, when I do take the time to browse the on-line sources I never see anything that I would be tempted to bid on.

The simple fact of the matter is that I collect on a different level and in a different way to most other collectors, so although ebay and other online sources might be good for a lot of people, they are pretty useless for me.

For many other people these on-line sources might very well be worth attention.

Its all a matter of what one wants or needs.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 11:30 AM   #3
silberschatzimsee

Wow quite an interessting discussion going on since my last login. I apologise for not answering since I had some health and personal issues.

Concerning the eBay discussion, since I also collect coins I know that 90% off all forgeries come from that place. I prefer to miss out "bargains" and maybe pay 10-20% more in an reputable place than having sleepless nights over the authenticity of an piece.
Off course I admit there surely nice bargains to be made but you always have to check that site for not to miss it.
Furthermore since I am a still a completely novice on the field of swords there is an very high chance me getting ripped off on eBay or the 'fleamarket'. Off course getting misguided at a major auctionhouse is also possible but the chances are quite smaller. That's why I asked you guys about czernys initally since I didn't know them. Thanks again for your advices

I ordered now myself the 2 books of Peirce and Oakeschott and will read into it. I am planning to participate at bonhams in 1 month so there is still some time for me.
Also I am comparing the realised prices of the last few years to get a feeling how far I can go and when my piggybank is starting to cry.
Somehow I don't really understand them yet. I was under the impression that thousands of viking swords were found. So why is a rare? 'ulfberth' cheaper than a seemingly nameless vikingsword?
And to stay with this topic, at what do you look at a viking sword to judge it's quality?

Many thanks in advance

Cheers
Silberschatzimsee
silberschatzimsee is offline   Reply With Quote