Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th June 2006, 12:13 PM   #1
The Double D

Default Zulu Spear

I purchased this spear about two months ago. It was represented as a Zulu spear made in 1950's.

I can vouch for two things about the spear. It was purchased in Zulu Land and it is a spear. OAL is 62 inches.

A friend looked at the pictures and he says the Spear is Zulu and may be as old as the 1870's.

Can any one identify the characteristics of this spear that date it or identify it as Zulu or South African?

Here are some close ups of the details.

Point and hafting

Blade

Blade to shaft transition

Hafting appears to be some sort of cording covered with seamless leather tube...Ox Tail?

Groove in shaft coming from hafting at balance point of spear

Butt
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 01:02 PM   #2
katana

Hi DD,
dating spears is notoriously difficult. I can say that I've noticed many recent (50 years or so) Zulu spears tend to have copper wire binding which still has the coloured insulation still on it, I understand that they used telephone wiring.
The various bindings used (leather, rawhide, reed, iron wrapping etc) does not seem to be chronologically relavent either, I suspect that differing regions had their favourites or used what was available 'at the time'.
The head looks to be well forged and finished and the shaft lacks hammer marks and looks to be very round. I think, perhaps the head/shaft was forged from a piece of manufactured round bar, the problem is, this still could date it from the 19c.
It seems that the provenance (accurate and truthful) of a spear is one of the only true ways of aging a spear.
Another problem, especially with Zulu spears is the artifical aging that goes on. To increase their value to unsuspecting buyers.

Last edited by katana; 17th June 2006 at 01:28 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 03:03 PM   #3
The Double D

Thank you for your response.

The friend who said this could be as old as 1870's pointed to the round bar used to make the point. It's size and extrusion marks on the shaft he said were indicators of the trade steel and rebar of the era. To me the point almost looks machine made...hammer forged. Maybe a trade point.

I would think that a spear of the era would look more the other spear I have

The shaft is roundish but not round. It is not ruler straight. You can see hammer marks in the blade. And look at the spine it's not uniformly straight. This blade has character.

I know what you mean about artificial aging. I have seen this already on several spears. With my main hobby of collecting Martini Henry rifles I have some knowledge of this process, or is "act" more approproiate.

I know where there is an iKlwa pattern point that is very obviously a ground find that has beeen re shafted and is being offered at original undamaged prices. The contrast between old and new is stark.

I can be deceived just like any one, I have been before and I am sure I will be again. That's why I come to a places like this and ask for help so I can put those dates of deception further and further apart.

Thanks for you help, I am learning!! What else can you tell me? I am listening!!
Old 17th June 2006, 04:17 PM   #4
katana

DD,
It is my understanding that Shaka, had the shafts (metal) of Assengai (and I think other types of spears) lenghened. This allowed the spear to be withdrawn more easily and quickly from the unfortunate victim. In battle- conditions this was important ....a spear quickly withdrawn was ready for the next opponent.
The second spear certainly looks to be the earlier style because of the shorter shaft....and therefore quite possibly old. I say 'possibly' because again these could be faked. However, IMHO yours looks to be genuine.
I have an Assengai, which was made pre 1964, I suspect its '40's - '50's, it too seems machine finished. Very similar to the blade in your picture.It is well made and well balanced but obviously hasn't the 'aura' of an original spear. I would say it is a 'replica' and it originated in S Africa.
Going back to the extruded bar: Many African countries were purchasing old equipment/machinery from Europe etc. after WW2 .It is possible that it was extruded from old foundry equipment but using 'modern' steel.
I am sure there are others on the forum whom have much greater knowledge than I, hopefully they will add to the thread.

I forgot to mention, many have been 'fooled' at some time or other, especially on eBay. But sometimes, I feel, you have to take risks ....nothing ventured... nothing gained.

I think the important thing is that you learn from these mistakes................
Old 17th June 2006, 05:31 PM   #5
The Double D

Here is a very interesting write up of the Zulu Army and its weaponery. The Iklwe apparently didn't last all that long. It was a weapon of Shaka's era. By time Cetshwayo's armies took the field they were back to carrying throwing spears. Of course the Zulu's were starting to use firearms also. THE ZULU MILITARY ORGANIZATION AND THE CHALLENGE OF 1879

If your spear was made in the 50's by Zulu's to a pattern and quality used by Zulu's in the 50's and intended to be used as a spear as the Zulu's used a spear, would it be a replica? Even if it was made by Zulu's in the 50's in the same manner and quality as spears made in the 1800's would it be a replica?

My "1950's" spear has the aura and the feel of what I expected a qenuine South African spear would be. Here is a picture of my entire Spear Collection

I have been invited to go to Johannesburg in August to visit a fellow who is a well known local authority and collector of South African Arms. He said he would give me some pointers on Zulu weapons, so I may extend the time period between times I am deceived.

In talking with him he pointed out a South Afrcian spear he would help me look for. It is a Askari Spear carried by Native troops during WWII. Something about an official GI issue South African spear appeals to me. Spear, Throwing, Hand Operated M1A1, FSN 123 4567 8901, 1 each

Here is a picture of an Askari and spear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askari Notice socket mount and no tang.

Yes sometime you just have to take the chance.

I've got the history down, now I just need to learn what the real thing looks like.
Old 17th June 2006, 05:41 PM   #6
Tim Simmons

I may be horribly wrong but I think you have spears from three different areas of Africa quite far apart from each over, a nice start to a collection.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 05:46 PM   #7
katana

DD your're a genius

I bought 2 spears from the son of a soldier stationed in and around S.A during WW2. I was assured they were given to his father by a Zulu he befriended. (It was a parting gift).
The problem was the spears were SOCKETTED and not usually attributed to the Zulu. I assumed that this guy was mistaken, and as they were heavy, forged spears I kept them.
Now everything makes sense........it looks like I have 2 Askara type spears

I will post pics later............got to go to a barbeque..at least while the sun is shining
Old 17th June 2006, 05:57 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

I always thought of Askari's as part of German East Africa but I imagine the name stuck. Searching Askari I found this picture.

Guard, allied air training school at Waterkleof pretoria 1943.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 06:12 PM   #9
The Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I may be horribly wrong but I think you have spears from three different areas of Africa quite far apart from each over, a nice start to a collection.
Tim, you may be very right. At least for sure you are 1/3 right. The bottom spear is of course Zande which the fine folks here on this board helped me Identify. Zande being in the Sudan-Congo area

The top one was acquired in Zululand and the middle was represented as East African.

If you can fully Identify any of them otherwise, I am very interested.
Old 17th June 2006, 06:14 PM   #10
The Double D

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
DD your're a genius

I bought 2 spears from the son of a soldier stationed in and around S.A during WW2. I was assured they were given to his father by a Zulu he befriended. (It was a parting gift).
The problem was the spears were SOCKETTED and not usually attributed to the Zulu. I assumed that this guy was mistaken, and as they were heavy, forged spears I kept them.
Now everything makes sense........it looks like I have 2 Askara type spears
Hey you guys are supposed be teaching me!! I'm the new guy!!
Old 17th June 2006, 11:27 PM   #11
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Double D
Hey you guys are supposed be teaching me!! I'm the new guy!!
EDUCATION IS A TWO WAY STREET

Or as Confucius would have said 'the master can always learn from the pupil'

p.s I'm relatively new as well

p.p.s Because of the different backgrounds, different weapons collections and different levels of expertise within this group. Its the 'pooling of ideas and opinions' offered by members that teach us all, pupils and masters. We are all 'masters' of a subject or skill, as we are pupils in others.....I'm sure Confucius would have put it better...

Last edited by katana; 17th June 2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 18th June 2006, 09:17 AM   #12
The Double D

Yes we can always learn from each other. I think that a lot of what we know and learn about these articles is a lot like finding pieces to a puzzle. The experience collectors may have alot of pieces, but the new collecter may have found the one missing piece to complete the picture. We need to be open minded and willing to share what ever knowledge we have.

In the picture I posted above I think there may clues to the origination of the Spears. The ornateness of the Zande spear makes it fairly easy to identify.

The less flamboyant South or East African Spears in my picture are a little more difficult. I am sure there are clues in the photo. Shape, size, material, construction methods, and hafting must be some sort of indicator. I wonder also if those same features might even identify maker or source. The tang mount is something that appears to me to be associated with South African spears.

I kind of believe that the top blade is some sort of machine made blade, made in quantity for bartering with the local population for whatever commodity they might have to trade. Thoughts? Was that a practice in Africa?
Old 18th June 2006, 11:36 AM   #13
katana

Here are the pictures of the two spears I mentioned. They are heavy, I think too heavy for a throwing spear.
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2006, 06:44 PM   #14
The Double D

I will have to try and round upone of those Askari spear and see if they might be a match.

Actually the Askari spear in the Picture looks more like my Zulu spear except of course it socketed and mine has a tang.