Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 12th November 2016, 05:49 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default late 16th century Sword for id.

O.L. 78.5 cm ; blade L. 65 cm; blade width at hilt 3.7 cm.
In Norman it seems there is no similar pommel to this one .Even the hilt I don’t see the same.
Any comment on it would be welcome.
Best
Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 12:47 PM   #2
Tordenskiold1721

I think this is a late 16th century or ca 1600 sword for the foot. Possibly a Pikeman's sword. The grip and wire wrap is new. 16th Century grips and wire wraps are slightly different. Your grip and wire wrap is made after late 17th early 18th century style. The Turk heads could be original in my subjective opinion.

If you take a look at the attached photo, you will see similar "flat" swords at the bottom left in the photo. The difference is that the pommel on the swords attached is more egg shaped but also flat as yours with the same simple guard. The blades are longer and the hilts larger, thus making them more suitable for the horse. Armies often / sometimes used similar swords for the foot and horse, but the dimensions are different and fitted to what type of use the sword is intended for. Swords for the horse also tend to show a little better craftsmanship but not as a rule.

I really like how you manage to take your photos on clear white background in the same professional manner as auction houses.

How do you do it ? I am still a novice when it comes to photographing my own humble collection. Any advice on how to get your quality photos would be much appreciated. Set up, light setting, shadow, etc.
Attached Images

Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 02:24 PM   #3
canos

Default military sword

It's a military sword of the seventeenth century ( south German or Venetian ). On the blade the wolfsmark of Passau.
canos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 05:14 PM   #4
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenskiold1721
I think this is a late 16th century or ca 1600 sword for the foot. Possibly a Pikeman's sword. The grip and wire wrap is new. 16th Century grips and wire wraps are slightly different. Your grip and wire wrap is made after late 17th early 18th century style. The Turk heads could be original in my subjective opinion.

If you take a look at the attached photo, you will see similar "flat" swords at the bottom left in the photo. The difference is that the pommel on the swords attached is more egg shaped but also flat as yours with the same simple guard. The blades are longer and the hilts larger, thus making them more suitable for the horse. Armies often / sometimes used similar swords for the foot and horse, but the dimensions are different and fitted to what type of use the sword is intended for. Swords for the horse also tend to show a little better craftsmanship but not as a rule.

I really like how you manage to take your photos on clear white background in the same professional manner as auction houses.

How do you do it ? I am still a novice when it comes to photographing my own humble collection. Any advice on how to get your quality photos would be much appreciated. Set up, light setting, shadow, etc.
Dear Tordenskiold
I ‘m still not fully happy with the result but with the time it became better.
To have good picture the most important it is the lighting, and after a good lens
I ‘m using a Sigma 17-50 1:2.8 or Canon 85 MM 1:2.8 .
Also you have to forget the program or auto mode and choose the manual mode so you can play with combination speed and diaphragm. Especially with a white background the exposure need some correction
About lighting if you don’t have material you can always use the day lite and you will discover that at certain time of the day you can have a perfect light and you could also with days light add one studio lamps in order to remove the shadow if needed.
Inside picture are much more difficult and need a minimum of 3 lights and for small object the best is to use a tent ( you can make it easily with white textile ) it can be used also outside when the sun is too strong.
At last Photoshop is helpful to give the final touch.
I hope it will help you .
Best
CERJAK
Old 14th November 2016, 03:30 PM   #5
cornelistromp

This type of hilt, with flattened pommels in the plan of the blade, actually occurs frequently at Italian storta type swords of the 17thC.

Actually one would expect a single edged blade here.

best,
Jasper
Attached Images

Last edited by cornelistromp; 14th November 2016 at 03:53 PM.
cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Cerjak

jasper,
Yes on your pictures I see many similarity on hilt and pommel.
I will post later a pic from top of the pommel, It seems to me that the blade, hilt and pommel has been always together.
Best
Jean-Luc
Old 15th November 2016, 08:44 AM   #7
cornelistromp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
jasper,
Yes on your pictures I see many similarity on hilt and pommel.
I will post later a pic from top of the pommel, It seems to me that the blade, hilt and pommel has been always together.
Best
Jean-Luc

yes this can possible, you have to check the ricasso block for signs if there has been another blade mounted before this one, there is one in the dutch army Museum with a straight 2 edged blade. the indicated timespan of 1600-1650 for this sword is realistic.

Attachement: JP Puype van maurits naar munster.
Attached Images

cornelistromp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 10:22 AM   #8
Cerjak

Jasper,
Very interesting this two edged blade with same type of hilt.
Best
Jean-Luc
Old 19th November 2016, 02:40 PM   #9
Tordenskiold1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerjak
Dear Tordenskiold
I ‘m still not fully happy with the result but with the time it became better.
To have good picture the most important it is the lighting, and after a good lens
I ‘m using a Sigma 17-50 1:2.8 or Canon 85 MM 1:2.8 .
Also you have to forget the program or auto mode and choose the manual mode so you can play with combination speed and diaphragm. Especially with a white background the exposure need some correction
About lighting if you don’t have material you can always use the day lite and you will discover that at certain time of the day you can have a perfect light and you could also with days light add one studio lamps in order to remove the shadow if needed.
Inside picture are much more difficult and need a minimum of 3 lights and for small object the best is to use a tent ( you can make it easily with white textile ) it can be used also outside when the sun is too strong.
At last Photoshop is helpful to give the final touch.
I hope it will help you .
Best
CERJAK
Thank you Cerjak! I have a lot of work to do get the quality you have on your photos ahead of me but I can see the work is well worth it. Good photos is a great way to present interesting and good antique weapons such as you do !! Glad to see that the attached literature reference above agrees with me that this is a sword for the foot :-)
Tordenskiold1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 07:07 PM   #10
Cerjak

in the royal armoury with similar hilt circa 1550-1560
Attached Images

Last edited by Cerjak; 10th June 2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10th June 2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Victrix

These are from the Heeresgeschichtliches (Army) Museum in Vienna. One is a thrusting sword for pikemen (17thC) and the others are cutting cavalry swords (16thC).
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2018, 02:17 PM   #12
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix
These are from the Heeresgeschichtliches (Army) Museum in Vienna. One is a thrusting sword for pikemen (17thC) and the others are cutting cavalry swords (16thC).
Thank you Vitrix for these pics ,the but the hilt is somewhat different.My sword and the one from the royal armory are with asymmetrical quillons and also no ring guard.
Best
Cerjak