Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd January 2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Athanase

Default Malay badik for comment.

Hello and Happy New Year to everyone!

I acquired this knife in the same lot (of English origin) as the Malaysian "pseudo gunong" that I showed you a few weeks ago.

The blade is very unusual, it looks like a small Malay keris that has been resized to make a badik. What do you think?
Attached Images

Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2019, 07:39 PM   #2
kai

Hello Séverin,

Nice find. Looks like this is a Sumatran "badik" - blade made from a recycled Sumatran keris, indeed (of Minang origin, I guess).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 01:28 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Séverin,

would agree with Kai but this badik has a lot accordance with Java badiks, for example the hilt form.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 11:42 PM   #4
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
this badik has a lot accordance with Java badiks, for example the hilt form.
This hilt is pretty generic and found from Sulawesi, over Jawa and Sunda(?) to Sumatra.

The scabbard seems typical for Sumatra though.

Regards,
Kai
Old 5th January 2019, 12:23 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
This hilt is pretty generic and found from Sulawesi, over Jawa and Sunda(?) to Sumatra.
Hello Kai,
I should have been more clear in my statement, yes the form of the handle is pretty generic but the angle of the handle to the blade tang is very different, Java badiks show an angle slightly over 90 degree while all other badiks have an angle to maximum from 90 degree. That was meant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
The scabbard seems typical for Sumatra though.
Agree complete!

Regards,
Detlef
Old 5th January 2019, 05:58 PM   #6
Athanase

Thank you Detlef and Kai for your answers.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2019, 06:11 PM   #7
kai

You're welcome, Séverin - please keep them coming!
Old 5th January 2019, 07:28 PM   #8
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
I should have been more clear in my statement, yes the form of the handle is pretty generic but the angle of the handle to the blade tang is very different, Java badiks show an angle slightly over 90 degree while all other badiks have an angle to maximum from 90 degree. That was meant!
I'm not sure I understand - do you rather mean 135° or so? (90°+45°)

For this specific hilt type, I believe I've seen examples from Sulawesi in the 110°-162° range; for Sumatra, I'd estimate an 120°-150° angle or so. (I wouldn't be surprised to find an even larger range for both origins. I have a Sumatran wooden hilt close to this type which exhibits 105° - wooden hilts tend to include steeper as well as wider angles though.) Those attributed to Jawa often hone in on approx. 125°-135° (I'd stipulate that most origins are tough to verify though).

This example apparently was around 122° originally (I'd posit that the blade is a bit tilted which makes it look steeper angled nowadays, possibly 111°).

Regards,
Kai
Old 5th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #9
Sajen

Hello Kai,

it's not so complicated like you think!

See the both attached pictures, the first show a typical Bugis badik, I've attached a 90° chevron under the handle, second picture show a typical Javanese badik which has a chevron clearly over 90° like the badik in question. Hope you understand now what I mean.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Old 5th January 2019, 11:08 PM   #10
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
it's not so complicated like you think!
Well, I posit it's also not as easy as it seems...

Quote:
See the both attached pictures, the first show a typical Bugis badik, I've attached a 90° chevron under the handle, second picture show a typical Javanese badik which has a chevron clearly over 90° like the badik in question.
I'm only speaking of the hilt type on the right; the left is different (angles, proportions, etc.) and also known from Sumatra. With the Bugis diaspora all over the place, it may be difficult to distinguish between Bugis examples and localized adaptations though.

The curved blades make it difficult to measure the angle; the hilt on the right side is close to 135° (the other is not really comparable but the base of the blade or tang is about 100°, or about 90° when following the whole blade).

Regards,
Kai