Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 13th November 2017, 09:36 PM   #1
OsobistGB

Default Turkish/Ottoman dager for identification

Dear colleagues,
Although such daggers have been commented here in the forum,I will ask you to share your opinion. Looks like Enver Pasha's Special Award Dagger for Ottoman Officers,but it differs as a blade markings and and different scabbard ?
Whether it's a replica or something like a souvenir.
I neglected to mention that it is 35 cm long
Attached Images

OsobistGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

It looks like the WW1 issue Turkish dagger copied from a 16th C original.
For a similar weapon see~

http://www.oriental-arms.co.il/item.php?id=3867
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 08:42 AM   #3
motan

Hi OsobistGB,

I can't really help you much with this dagger, only share some thoughts.
First, this is NOT a standard military issue dagger because theses are highly...standartized=all look the same, and carry the same stamps denoting their origin. See the attached pictures for a very good example from Artzi's collection.

These daggers are very popular an fetch very high prices at auctions, so there are plenty of immitations as well. But then again, yours does not look like an immitation, even if you consider the possibility that the scabbard is a later replacement. So, this could be a Special Award Dagger for Ottoman Officers, but only people who know such daggers can tell you that..
Attached Images

motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Kubur

Hi
to me the hilt and scabbard look wrong
BUT the blade is a very - very - good one.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 08:33 PM   #5
YataganMan

Default Turkish Dagger

These all metal hilt and scabbards (mostly of brass but seldom in siver ) were produced in Germany for the Turkish /Ottoman army just before the 1stWW and They were named ENVERİYE since these were ordered by the Chief of Staff of the Turkish Army ENVER PASHA.
Your example I am afraid has a non original hilt and a scabbard.However blade is original most of these government ıssue daggers have a number inscribed on the blade in addition to Tugra.The model came from the Topkapı palace Museum where the original is still there.

Regards
Yataganman
YataganMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 09:49 PM   #6
OsobistGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi OsobistGB,

I can't really help you much with this dagger, only share some thoughts.
First, this is NOT a standard military issue dagger because theses are highly...standartized=all look the same, and carry the same stamps denoting their origin. See the attached pictures for a very good example from Artzi's collection.

These daggers are very popular an fetch very high prices at auctions, so there are plenty of immitations as well. But then again, yours does not look like an immitation, even if you consider the possibility that the scabbard is a later replacement. So, this could be a Special Award Dagger for Ottoman Officers, but only people who know such daggers can tell you that..
Thanks for the answer.The dagger has nothing to do with Enver Pasha's Special Award Dagger for Ottoman Officers.It also does not look like a replica.Indeed, the scabbard seems to be made later.Can someone translate the inscription?
OsobistGB is offline   Reply With Quote