Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2022, 10:17 AM   #1
tanaruz

Default TALIBONG AKLAN

Hello. A blessed holy week to all.

Sharing my first antique (more than 100 years old) talibong from the mountainous area of Aklan. This was offered to me by a very much well-known blade artisan/maker in Libacao, Aklan.

The blade (linamay profile) is more than 100 years old. The scabbard is new with the INISDA (fish-tail) design.

Hilt is made from carabao horn, with repoussed silver sheets (NOT fully wrapped in silver). Maranhig/deity pommel design. Muromunggo on the tip of the proboscis.

According to the seller in Libacao, this type of talibong is what they call a TINANGGUHAN (the FEMALE version of this talibong). This is because the silver is NOT fully wrapped on the entire hilt/handle. A fully-wrapped version is what they call a Sapot/sinapot (the MALE version).

Scabbard: LANIPGA wood with UBARAN fiber fasteners.

28.75 inches overall length/ blade: 18.75 inches

Enjoy,

Regards,

Yves
Attached Images

tanaruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2022, 10:24 AM   #2
xasterix

Nice talibong! Would like to ask, are the ferrule and guard made of nickel-silver?
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2022, 12:49 PM   #3
CharlesS

Lovely example! Do you think the scabbard is later?

So nice to find these things so complete and in such nice condition!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 01:20 AM   #4
tanaruz

Default talibong aklan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Lovely example! Do you think the scabbard is later?

So nice to find these things so complete and in such nice condition!
Thank you Sir Charles. Yes, the scabbard is of recent made. According to the bladesmith who sold me this piece, this talibong was sent to his shop to be sold but there's no more scabbard. So he fashioned a new scabbard for this old warrior.

Kind regards,

Yves
Old 16th April 2022, 05:41 AM   #5
ariel

This is not my area of knowledge, but simply on general principles, how truly old is the blade of this « old warrior”?
I cannot see any edge nicks, signs of resharpening, scars or any expected consequences of actual use.
I am not trying to cast doubt on the veracity of the seller, just interested in learnlng something new for me.
Could it be a decorative/ceremonial/tourist version?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2022, 12:02 PM   #6
tanaruz

Default talibong aklan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
This is not my area of knowledge, but simply on general principles, how truly old is the blade of this « old warrior”?
I cannot see any edge nicks, signs of resharpening, scars or any expected consequences of actual use.
I am not trying to cast doubt on the veracity of the seller, just interested in learnlng something new for me.
Could it be a decorative/ceremonial/tourist version?
Hello Sir,

1) 'how truly old is the blade of this old warrior'?- Before this talibong was purchased, a provenance was requested. From the first owner to the latest one (who eventually sold this piece). This piece was handed down for generations. And it's more than 100 years old;
2) this piece, in my opinion, is a heirloom piece. If you've read my original post, you would note that this piece (which is the female version), together with a male version(sapot) is offered as a dowry/gift to the parents of the bride before marriage. Never been used in battle (so there are no nicks, re-sharpening, scars). So, a ceremonial piece (not a tourist version nor for decorative purposes).

Regards

Yves
Old 16th April 2022, 08:13 PM   #7
ariel

Got it.
So it is an old ceremonial sword and not an “old warrior”.
Now I understand. Thanks for the information.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote