Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th November 2011, 10:16 PM   #1
henri

Default Sumatran Palembang / Minang ?

Dear members ,

Here is the last one just cleaned for your comments .

The blade shows Javanese influence but probably South Sumatran ( Palembang / Minang ? ) .

What surprised me the first time I handled this keris was the thin and delicate pamor on a blade very very thin and " feminine " ( sorry but difficult to explain this kind of feeling ! ) . I am more used of heavy Bali blades and it s a bit unusual for me .
Note the 2 splits below the ganja .

The hilt is damaged .The carving on the arm of the pekaka is more Palembang style than Minang .

Sheath pretty common with some old restorations .

Your comments are more than welcomed .

Henri
Attached Images

henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Sajen

I have been a low bidder by this keris. Please can you show a picture of the complete blade in classic form? It seems to be a Miangkabau keris and when I am not completely wrong is there a piece of wood broken at the wrongko and the buntut isn't original.
It is indeed a fine pamor and it is a good sign that it is still visible by this very worn blade. The two splits in the sogokans are a sign of many ritual washings and the age of the blade.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 02:23 AM   #3
henri

Thank you Detlef for your reply .
I will post photos of the complete blade tonight .
The wronko is broken right in the middle from one to the other side , but neat . Will be easily repaired with some glue .
The buntut is poor quality brass and the pendak will have to be replaced .
I agree with you . Origin is certainly Minangkabau ( Padang ) west of Sumatra .
Sheath and hilt damaged ... but I find the blade really nice .Difficult to give an age to this blade ? . Successive etching haven t removed some charm and appeal to this old lady !
Henri
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2011, 08:17 AM   #4
kai

Hello Henri,

Quote:
The blade shows Javanese influence but probably South Sumatran ( Palembang / Minang ? ) .
Typical Minang style; pamor is above average. I'm confident that the blade is at least 19th c.; some may suggest 18th c., I guess.

Quote:
The hilt is damaged .The carving on the arm of the pekaka is more Palembang style than Minang .
This Jawa Deman hilt is Minang. Genuine, antique ensemble - nice!

I agree that the buntut seems to be a later replacement - you could try to obtain a typical flared one if you prefer. The rattan bands also look like later additions.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 08:21 AM   #5
kai

Hello Henri,

Quote:
the pendak will have to be replaced
Do you mean the silver pendokok/selut? Looks like the original one to me - this somewhat basic style is quite often seen with the smaller keris Minang. I'd keep it!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 02:30 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Henri,

Do you mean the silver pendokok/selut? Looks like the original one to me - this somewhat basic style is quite often seen with the smaller keris Minang. I'd keep it!

Regards,
Kai
I agree if you are referring to the cupped mendak (doesn't really seem to be a pendokok or a selut. Doesn't look like it needs replacing to me.
The rattan wrapping seems interesting and unusual. Almost looks like a dayak style wrap.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri
The wronko is broken right in the middle from one to the other side , but neat . Will be easily repaired with some glue .
Henri

I think that there is cut away a piece wood in down from the wrongko on the right side since I never have seen such a wrongko. I will show what I mean by a other sheath, the wrongko has normally a square shape. Maybe you can show us a close up from this part. The here shown wrongkos are different but it should be the general shape.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2011, 05:09 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Agree!
Old 15th November 2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
I think that there is cut away a piece wood in down from the wrongko on the right side since I never have seen such a wrongko. I will show what I mean by a other sheath, the wrongko has normally a square shape. Maybe you can show us a close up from this part. The here shown wrongko is different but it should be the general shape.

Regards,

Detlef
I agree with Sajen, this how the sampir (crosspiece) should look like.
And by the way the blade looks rather from South Sumatra than Minang to me (see attached example of a kris from Palembang).
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 09:59 PM   #10
henri

Well done Sajen ! Your expert eyes could not avoid the missing part on the wrongko -> Photo attached show exactly where the missing part was glued .
Jean , I still think the pamor gives more an origin more from Minang than Palembang .... but never know !
Henri
Attached Images

Old 16th November 2011, 08:43 AM   #11
Jean

Quote:
Jean , I still think the pamor gives more an origin more from Minang than Palembang .... but never know !
Henri
The Sumatrese krisses are often mixed pieces so it is a difficult subject.
For me the best reference book about Sumatrese krisses is the Krisdisc from the late Karsten Jensen and if you check it, you will find that the Minang blades usually have no pamor and are either of the straight bahari type, or short ones with 3 waves. Of course there could be exceptions but your blade has no Minang character IMO.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Well done Sajen ! Your expert eyes could not avoid the missing part on the wrongko -> Photo attached show exactly where the missing part was glued .

Hello Henri,

I am far away to be an expert! But have seen and handled some keris to know that there is something missing.

Best regards,

Detlef