Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th May 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default Gentlemen, I've finally caved. Older Gunong for info

Well, the antique ethnographic bug has finally bit me and I pulled the trigger (Oh, great. ANOTHER one to bid against ) on what I think is an earlier Gunong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...OR%3AUS%3A1123

I'm posting this for more knowledge on these items. I'm assuming this is an earlier blade, according to how I recognize Moro Kris, but honestly the Gunong is something that I have absolutely no knowledge about (other than a casual looking over at a few older threads). Perhaps Battara, Kai, and 'Uncle Gunong' among other people can clarify some things?

The blade is a diminutive 4 7/8 inches long according to the description of the item.

What would the sheath have looked like had it been included? How old exactly is this piece? Did it originally have a guard like some of the larger and broader-bladed gunong had, or is this basically in the condition that most of these of its era was produced?

Does anyone have any more examples of gunong from around the time that this one was made?

As always, any and all comments welcome!

Pics below:
Attached Images

ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello, have watched this one also. It seems to be an older one what shows the more elongate handle. The guard seems to be missing. Look here for similar examples from Steve Ferguson: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...2&page=1&pp=30

Other more knowledgeable members will be able to tell you more.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 09:47 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Looks like an older one to me too. I also agree that it is missing it's guard and, of course, it's sheath, but the price was right.
Here is a link to mine which has a similarly shaped hilt. Not that my guard has been fashioned from an old Mexican silver coin. Might have been original as the coin dates from the time or a later replacement for a missing one. Might give you an idea if you choose to replace your missing one.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=gunong
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

OH NO, You did it, you bought your first antique Philippine edged weapon. This is how it always starts, first a gunong or two or fifty then a barong then a kris or two. It goes on and on with no stopping. Be prepared to not have any spare change or extra money of any kind. Stop now while you still can.

Robert

P.S.
Nice piece !!!
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 02:06 AM   #5
Ferguson

And so it begins. As others have said, it's older and missing the guard, but it's nice.
The guard could have been oval or patterned. The scabbard would have been a simple taperd wooden one made in two halves held togeter with bands of metal or rattan. Enjoy!
Steve
Attached Images

Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 03:27 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with the others. I would guess at 1900 or slightly earlier for the blade, the hilt may be a little a little later. Yes missing the guard but etch the blade and I'll bet there is a lamination pattern in it.

One option is a coin. Another is to have someone make a guard with okir out of silver, copper, or brass with a scabbard to match.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 06:21 AM   #7
ThePepperSkull

Thanks for the info, guys. This broadening of my collection is going to kill my wallet. I can already tell.

I originally planned on only collecting pira (of the later shape) and what, on these forums, is known as "Archaic Kris" (or kris from the 18th century. I recently bought one off of a certain Mr. Farrow, but that's for another discussion), then I ran into this gunong and had to have it. Already I'm having trouble limiting myself!

I think it was either Kai or Battara who said this, but I think my goal now is not to have a BIG collection, but a good collection. So if it is varied or eclectic (or seemingly random) in selection, at least they will be very beautifully crafted examples of blades made for whichever particular region and time.

I think this particular gunong more than fits the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I agree with the others. I would guess at 1900 or slightly earlier for the blade, the hilt may be a little a little later. Yes missing the guard but etch the blade and I'll bet there is a lamination pattern in it.

One option is a coin. Another is to have someone make a guard with okir out of silver, copper, or brass with a scabbard to match.
Hmm.... I wonder who could make such parts? :P

Last edited by ThePepperSkull; 8th May 2011 at 06:46 AM.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote