Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st June 2019, 06:42 AM   #1
ashkenaz

Default Kampilans in Basilan?

Hi All! Another question.

Were Kampilans in use, or ever made by the groups in Basilan? Namely the Yakan, Tausug and Bajaw there.

Because from all my research, it appears that the Moro Kampilans are only near exclusively made by Maguindanao and Maranao. Or is my research only lacking?

I attempted to research Kampilans in Basilan and non avail. It appears that Kampilans are only a Maguindanao-Maranao-Bagobo-T'Boli thing.

It appears that Tausugs, Yakans and Bajaw prefer Barongs more often.

Thanks
ashkenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

So far this is true. However, the kampilan was also used in Indonesia, for example on Sulawesi and Borneo.

However there are some indications that kampilan versions were also used by tribes in the Visayas and lower Luzon.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 03:52 AM   #3
ashkenaz

I wonder.

I never understood why Kampilans are next to non existent in Basilan when they're in constant contact with Kampilan making tribes and groups from Borneo and Mainland Borneo.

That never made sense to me. Unless, (in my theory) it is because Moros of Sulu rejected the Kampilan for reasons we are yet to find out.

Because (in my theory then) the lacking of Kampilans in Sulu, from this indication, has nothing to do with the lack of introduction of Kampilans to Sulu, but rather the rejection of it since many neighbors of the people of Sulu used Kampilans but Sulu Moros pretty much don't.
ashkenaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 12:47 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ashkenaz, you raise some good points, although I'm not sure how we would test your theory. It's possible that the kampilan was used in the past by members of the Sulu groups, and subsequently rejected. Spanish colonial records might offer some clue, but these are few and far between when it comes to Moro weapons. What we do know is that among the Bangsa Moro the kampilan has been used (almost) exclusively by the Maranao and Maguindanao groups for the last 120 years. Earlier than that we are pretty much guessing.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 03:57 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

I agree with Ian about testability, but I can see this rejection by the Sulu region since they sit in between 2 regions that are known for using the kampilan - Borneo and Mindanao.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote