Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th May 2006, 01:44 PM   #1
katana

Question Interesting African small spears, comments please

These two small spears are a headache.
They are well constructed, the spearheads are forged ( filed finish), the socket is adorned with very fine copper wire. The shafts have carved 'criss cross' patterns with a wound iron counterweight. They actually feel heavier than you would imagine, and could be easily and accurately thrown, like a dart. Total length 57cm, spearpoint to socket edge 17.5cm, widest point of blade is 25mm, and the wooden shaft is 10mm.
So, they do seem quite functional, but seem a little ornate for practical purposes. Ceremonial spears? ornate enough ... but the counterbalance weights, the well crafted spear point etc suggest that this isn't the case either. A 'tourist piece'? .I don't think so..too well constructed, too functional.
Please has anyone any ideas, or have or seen similar examples?

I really like them

The photos give the impression that the spear heads are quite 'clean', they are not. Areas have been overcleaned (by previous owner, 'wet and dry' paper me thinks ) and the light reflected hides rustier areas.
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 07:35 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

I am not sure if these are tourist pieces or not. The wire work and iron rings at the blunt end makes me think that they are modern dance spears made for a festival or something like that, they are certainly not old. The blades look like they could be from the Sudan but the brass wire binding is more often seen with southern items. I would imagine these are from Sudan/Uganda? It is interesting to compere the modern work with that of the past. It becomes clear that in spite of being forced into the 21cent and a global market ecconomy, the cultural/artist and material wealth of many people have not benefited.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 10:23 AM   #3
katana

A very good quality tourist item is possible. But, I suspect the idea of these being made/used in a festival seems very likely. They were exchanged for a fish supper and 1/2 a pint of bitter and I do like these 'novelty' spears, so no great loss, thanks Tim
katana is offline   Reply With Quote