Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th November 2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default Hausa Arm Knife,

One of two posts tonight to show the good and bad buys you get when you gamble on blurry ebay pictures. This is a beauty, one of two the other one I will have to try and resolder the scabbard seam, should not be to difficult I hope but this one is perfect. Sorry my pictures do not show the decoration clearly, total length 56.5cm. They were silly cheap. Tim
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 16th November 2005 at 05:46 PM. Reason: SPELLING!!!Spelling SpellingSpellingSpelling
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 06:39 PM   #2
Freddy

Arrow

Tim,

This knife could also be Fulani (other names are Fulbe or Peul) who live in the neighbourhood of the Hausa.

I read in a book that the Fulani used the lost-wax technique to cast the handles of their arm daggers. Yours looks like it is made this way.

I have a similar knife (but not as good as yours ) without sheath.

Could we see your dagger out of its sheath ?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2005, 08:38 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I do not think this picture helps that much, I will try to take one tomorrow during the day without the flash, which makes a very harsh picture, I also had to give the blade a rather thorough cleaning to ensure ease of travel in the scabbard. You can see there is a light fuller to this blade with a matching one on the other side. The blade is also quite thin rather like the top section of a Tabuka. I think it is the scabbards that give the best indication of where in the "Telek" wearing regions they most likely originate as similar elements of their design and construction and these cruciform metal handles seem to be all over the region. I think Freddy's Knife has more in common with this other arm knife. Tim
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2005, 03:55 PM   #4
Shai Cohen

Default lovely knife!

a very beautiful item,
where did you get it?
Shai Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote