Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st July 2014, 04:20 AM   #1
russel

Default Indo-persian Axe

This just ended on Ebay, listed as an Indo-persian axe. I have seen it's like before but I can't place it or find it in any of my references. Does anyone know when in particular this item originates? Does it have a specific name?

Overall length 23"; blade thickness 0.25"

Cheers - Russel
Attached Images

russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 04:39 AM   #2
Kubur

At least it's not Persian at all.
Regards,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Looks like a bullova, however with unusual smoothly radiused crescent type blade. Most of the have recurved style blades .
"Battle Axes" James Gamble 1981
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 06:23 AM   #4
russel

I was thinking along the same lines Jim, but neither Gamble or Stone illustrate a Bullova axe like this.
Old 21st July 2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Right Russell but remember these tribal items are widely varied, and these were situated in Chota Nagpur in the Bengal Presidency....the tribes included Kol and Khond and others in pretty vast areas . While not an exact match, the basic posture of the head on the haft compellingly resembles that of the bullova contrary to the other hafted weapons typical in India.
It would be great to find an exact match, but lots more research possibly Haider, Pant, perhaps Egerton.
Pending further results I think bullova is most likely.

These are always interesting, lots of history there!
Old 21st July 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
kronckew

the unusual mounting of the axe head to the shaft via a double tang tang passing thru two holes in the shaft with the ends peened is not a usual feature of a bullova. all the ones i have seen have the very similar and much stronger socket arrangement like my non-recurved 'moustache' axe. the axe above is very different, and i'd be reluctant to actually use it in a battle as it is likely going to break if it hits anything.

the crude end piece that looks like it was made from a thin brass disk nailed to the pommel, and the iron top finial are also atypical. (mine is sadly missing the normal cone shaped finial.)

african axes that use a similar tanged axe head have a substantial bulge where the tang penetrates the haft, like my last example below.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 21st July 2014 at 08:49 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Norman McCormick

Hi,
This is my Chota Nagpur/Bullova axe, the finial looks somewhat similar.
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 10:22 PM   #8
Norman McCormick

Hi,
Here's another with a similar finial from another members collection (royston).
Regards,
Norman.
Attached Images

Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 10:56 PM   #9
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

A quick look through Egerton shows nothing particularly helpful.

There is a seller on eBay out of Rajasthan who has a current auction with a similar unmounted axe head. The method of fixation would be a little different but the overall appearance and thickness of the tangs is similar. To avoid violating forum rules I will PM you the name of the seller.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2014, 05:04 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Just searching internet and found another similar, but apparently much larger example with same crescent style head and the twin attaching bars on the Ashoka arms site. It was sold, but identified as a large two hand Khond or Gond war axe from Chota Nagpur. This one had a 15" blade and 50" overall in size.
It is noted that the smaller axes of these tribes were called bullovas. It is interesting that this seems to be a smaller version of the large war axe and from these tribal groups....so if it is a smaller version, then perhaps it might be called a bullova as well? even if features don't exactly correspond.
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:40 PM   #11
russel

Apologies for the late reply.

I am kicking myself a little for not bidding now. I had a good feeling about it: "Bullova" leapt into my mind when I first saw it. I think I was mainly put off by:

1. Similar recently made isolated axe heads currently on offer on eBay coming out of India (as Ian noted), had I noticed the Ashoka example I may have made a different decision. Although as I think about it, this one shows far better workmanship than the Rajasthan examples and good patina.

2. The lack of similar examples in any of my references or on the Forum (that has now changed).

3. Gamble (Page 66) goes so far as to say the ALL Bullova axes have the familiar socket arrangement. Admittedly not the best of references, but there is precious little out there on axes.

I missed an opportunity with this one. But one lives and learns (and learning is such fun).

I own a couple of the more traditional Bullova axes, I will certainly keep my eye out for this form in the future.

Thanks guys,
Russel