Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th August 2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up East African spear?

My latest. Those that say there is not the quality to African stuff, forever hold your piece, untill it shrivels up and falls off . It was sold as Massai. I would not be so certain of that but for sure it is from one of the warrior groups in the same geographic region.

Is this a high end item or just simply fabulous?

I paid what I think is rather a lot but I did have the advantage of seeing it before the auction end. This is the first time I have seen the pin through the blade socket on a this definitely East African spear.

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 08:01 PM   #2
kronckew

as my momma would say:

'Be careful with that, you could put someone's eye out with that thang!'

That's a BIG spear. should do for seeing off the odd wandering elephant, i bet you'll never see another one rampage thru your village once the word gets out... lucky find.

reminds me of the Keeper of the Flywisk's spear in Axum. fellow by the name of Ousanas if i recall.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 08:04 PM   #3
Freddy

Thumbs up

That's a nice one.

Could you give us a picture of the bottom part of the shaft ?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 10:37 PM   #4
RomaRana

That my friend is a very rare pre 1890 southern Maasai spear. Probably from the Kisongo, Purko, or Damat Maasai.

I'm at my other home and without my books but I will scan some pictures when I get back.

Cultural transmission was not as strong yet in the region as the Maasai were still asserting their dominance (1750-1830s) and this style of spear was used almost entirely by them, with exception of perhaps the kikuyu and chagga.
RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 12:46 AM   #5
spiral

Fantastic looking spear Tim! What are the blade dimesions ?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

The spear is 1.76m long, the blade including the socket is 92cm. The actual blade is 78cm long and 12cm at the widest part. The midrib is <> section is 15mm at the forte running to 10mm at the tip. The spike end is 31cm long including the socket, the actual spike is 21cm long square section starting at 15mm. I like the elegant and effective "engineer" solution to fixing the spike. It is quite awesome to play with.

You can also see the folding of the steel. Not just beaten out of a bar. I wonder if I sould etch it?

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 8th August 2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 8th August 2007, 12:28 PM   #7
Flavio

Hi all! Are we sure that this is from Est Africa? The blade reminds me some congolese blades and also the pin through the blade socket it's all but not unusual also in Congo ..... maybe I'm wrong but ....
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Tim Simmons

Good thinking Flavio. Those thoughts did cross my mind. However I am more inclined to stick with a more eastern origin. The reasons are that it has more in common in so many ways to the other East African spears I have than the Congo ones; besides- Freddy and the other Congoists did not raise the alarm. I would be highly delighted if I were shown otherwise .
Old 9th August 2007, 03:36 PM   #9
RomaRana

I just found these. It is a picture of the Northern Maasai spear type. When I get home I will post the southern type.
Attached Images

RomaRana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 08:03 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

I am a little cautious about some of these old drawings and indeed types of photo-reproduction as I have some publications where it seems clear there is some tampering.