Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 9th December 2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Bill M

Default You CAN bring a sword to a gunfight!

I cannot find much info on the internet about this, but looks like it could be true.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...144161,00.html

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=616661

Guess a cavalry-type weed cutting sword counts as an ethnographic weapon!

Well, Ariel started it with his executioner story.....
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 04:32 PM   #2
Rivkin

Interestingly enough, the executioner says that his sword is old Johar, i.e. made from wootz, and highly praises it for the ability to remain sharp over extended periods of time, something that I also heard many times from wootz makers.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 04:46 PM   #3
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
Interestingly enough, the executioner says that his sword is old Johar, i.e. made from wootz, and highly praises it for the ability to remain sharp over extended periods of time, something that I also heard many times from wootz makers.

Well, I think that maybe you are in the wrong thread Rivkin.

I wonder what "wootz" means in Mexican? Maybe that was what he said when he swung his fantasy looking sword at the robber?
Old 9th December 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivkin
Also, the executioner refers to vertical cuts and horizontal cuts. That implies different positions of the "execut-ee"
Any idea why would it be?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 06:39 PM   #5
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Well, I think that maybe you are in the wrong thread Rivkin.

I wonder what "wootz" means in Mexican? Maybe that was what he said when he swung his fantasy looking sword at the robber?
This may be the perfect summary for the "Quality of Wootz" thread. The winning weapon was a $9.95 stainless steel junk, but what counted was the courage and determination of the guy who confronted the armed robbers.
Wootz, schmootz.....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2006, 11:05 PM   #6
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
This may be the perfect summary for the "Quality of Wootz" thread. The winning weapon was a $9.95 stainless steel junk, but what counted was the courage and determination of the guy who confronted the armed robbers.
Wootz, schmootz.....

Right Ariel,

It all comes down to "courage and determination."

And cojones!

In my book a guy who swings a sword at a guy to just beat him up --- and left him semi-conscious --- ranks a lot higher in my book than a guy with a great sword who executes and mutilates people who can't fight back.
Old 10th December 2006, 12:41 AM   #7
Rivkin

I watched the clip with an executioner. His swords look like nickel-plated, I doubt they are really wootz. I think he may use Johar simply as synonymous to "good".
I do not know the details that well, but I think the amputations of hands (for stealing) are conducted from up to down, beheadings are conducted something like "from the shoulder" - up to down combined with right to left, basically you behead a semi-sitting person. I never seen an amputation of leg and arm, I think this is reserved for those who join kafir in fighting muslims, attack islam and so on, but there are most likely far more knowledgeble people on the subject. It is _rare_, and I do not know how it works.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 02:25 AM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Moderator's note

Guys:

The "executioner" thread was closed for a reason. Let's not revisit that subject and have to close this one too.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2006, 08:22 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I must totally agree with Ian on this!
While it is obvious that the weapons we study have very sinister practical application, I know that personally I have distinct disdain for focus on the gore of actual use. Clearly at times we must work at understanding the dynamics of martial application and fencing etc. but graphic discussion of the end result seems distasteful.

I hope we can stay focused on the structural and decorative development of the weapons, which is the key focus of study here, in my opinion.

Respectfully,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote