Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th January 2023, 08:44 PM   #1
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Default Use of Actual Vintage Arms as Props in Early Films

While we are aware that in the fledgling movie industry from the teens into 20s and 30s, the sword fighting with swashbuckling heroes was typically done with either period fencing weapons, or rebated blades on the swords used. However, it does seem that in the larger scope of scenes with numerous extras and background crowds, there appear to be a variety of actual antique arms worn or seen in view.

I recall some years ago, I knew of several instances where collectors went to movie studios clearing out decades old props and auctioning them off, and these guys got some incredible finds! (oh to have been there!!!

I also had read somewhere that the great matinee idol Rudolph Valentino, had actually collected swords himself. I knew of course, that like most of the leading men in swashbuckling films,he had been well coached in fencing, and some were quite accomplished, Basil Rathbone most noted as one of the best. He often grumbled at being the villain however and having to allow being beaten.

In finding some detail on the auction of Valentino's weapons after his death in 1926, while seen in panoply as displays in his mansion, "Falcons Lair" in Beverly Hills, some of these do seem authentic. While I am under the impression she were acquired from antiques dealers by a decorator, I am wondering if they might have been taken from studio stores.

I am curious if anyone out there has weapons with provenance to the props or sets from films or actors, and especially if anyone knows of any of the swords once displayed in the Valentino mansion (or others).
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote