Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th February 2009, 05:08 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Tourist Item Or Not?

Normally I don't buy items with aluminium fittings but this Philippine bolo seemed interesting so here it is. Blade length is only 13-5/8 inches and is 1-1/2 inches at the widest point and 3/8 inch thick at the hilt. Horn grip in the shape of a horses hoof. All the fittings and the decoration on the grip are made of aluminium. This is a very well built bolo with a blade much thicker than any that I've seen on any tourist piece so far. I would appreciate your ideas on the age of this and if you think this is or is not a tourist item. I have seen one knife that was decorated almost exactly like this before that was dated 1930 something on the blade. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 12:30 AM   #2
RhysMichael

I do not know about phillipine items but I have seen historic pieces with aluminum fittings before. Such as german pieces from the 1900 till wwII It seems that for a time it was not looked on as a "cheap metal" like it is today. Here is a luftwaffen sword made by solingen with aluminum fittings http://snyderstreasures.com/images/g...affeeSMFHF.jpg

Like you though it always raises suspicion
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 03:32 AM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Rob

I was watching that piece glad you landed it. It is better than average quality Aluminium was used in the 1940s-50s but that doesn't mean touristy it's just what the maker had on hand at the time. If you are really upset please feel free to send me the knife.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 05:39 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

RhysMichael, Thank you for responding and for the link. That is a very interesting sword in itself. I have heard that in the late 19th and early 20th century that aluminium was sometimes used to decorate in the same manor as silver and wasn't considered a cheap metal until later in the 20th century.

Lew, I'm very happy with this so I guess I won't be sending it out to you. Like you said "It is better than average quality". The overall finish of the knife is a lot better than it looks in the pictures as I sharpened them quite a bit to help show the details. As trade between the countries of the world was a common thing I would think that aluminium could possible have been available in some of the larger cities of the Philippines earlier than the 1940s and 50s. I'm not trying to say that this is early 20th century as I too believe it to be from the second quarter of the 20th century. I would however like to know if anyone has any examples of Philippine weapons that have been identified to be from the late 19th or early 20th century that have aluminium fittings or decorations that they would like to post. Thank you both for your interest and comments.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 28th February 2009 at 06:01 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 10:41 PM   #5
katana

Aluminium in ore form is plentiful. It was the industrial processes that required the 'capital' and industrial network/know how to extract it.

A silver metal that does not rust and is easily worked / cast available to pre-industrial cultures....I would say it would be definately be regarded as a 'precious' metal

It seems that it was after WW2 that aluminium became 'cheap'. Alot of 'downed' aircraft (over Pacific regions, Africa etc), whose fuselage's were predominately aluminium, provided alot of scavenged metal for the locals to re-cycle. I have an African short sword with an aluminium cast hilt which is from the late 1940's

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote