Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd May 2009, 12:14 AM   #1
BBJW

Default Choora Sheaths

Does the variety of sheaths have tribal/clan meaning or is it a matter of personal preference or choice?

Thanx
bbjw
Attached Images

BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This is an excellent grouping of these incredibly interesting daggers from Northwest Frontier regions, and I think that there may very well be at least some degree of tribal or regional significance in the style or motif in decoration.

The choora, from what I understand, is a smaller version of the karud, which has a hilt which is more simple in form at the pommel, where the choora seems to emphasize the extended 'hook' form at the pommel. There has been considerable discussion on the term itself, which seems to derive from a pejorative term, and is shown as ch'hura in Egerton.

In discussions here over the years on the 'lohar', the small pickaxe type weapon of the tribes of Bannu district in Khyber regions, it is noted that these were very personal weapons of the tribesmen and often decorated to distinguish the individual.
Since the choora is a weapon typically associated with the Mahsud, which is often applied collectively to groups of tribes of Waziristan , and associated with Khyber regions, it does seem unreasonable to think that the same type of individuality might not be applied to the mounts for them.

I think that looking into the material culture and crafts of the varying tribes of the Khyber and surrounding regions may reveal some consistancies in the use of geometric devices and motif chosen. Naturally, in many cases the decoration is based on popular decoration, and often there is always a degree of application of motif simply to avoid empty space. It seems I have heard that there is often a certain abhorrence for empty, undecorated space in motif, associated with superstitious fear of the attraction of evil or such effect. While this is not specifically intended to this discussion on these regions, I only bring it up as a factor sometimes noted in general discussion on the often prolific use of geometric design in much of Islamic material culture, the basic for the beautiful designs known as 'Arabesque'.

While these scabbards seem to range from certain simplicity as might be seen in 'working' weapons, leather or brass scabbards, brass mounted, and many practical types to more decorative, even dress or ceremonial, much of this would seem to have to do with intended use, or I suppose period of the mounting.

There are some consistant features known to the choora that also appear on the large swords known as Khyber knives, in fact I have seen these mounted en suite. At the bottom of the bolster at the hilt on the blade are often the triangulated, wavy linear designs. On the hilts of many choora, lohar and sometimes 'Khyber's' are the familiar circled dot symbols. These have been seen on the handles of the distinct (and very personal) whips used in the intense and polo like Afghan sport known as Buzkhashi. The whips used by the riders are personalized much as players in many sports personalize thier 'regalia'.

I would very much like to see some discussion and focus on certain symbols and designs on the weapons of these Khyber regions that might show some consistancies that might be identifiable to specific tribal regions. I hope maybe those out there who also collect these intriguing weapons might share some examples here.

It would be great to get better understanding of the differences between these weapons and the terms....pesh kabz, karud, choora....???? Frankly it gets pretty confusing!!

All very best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote