Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 31st May 2018, 11:21 AM   #1
Paul B.

Default Odd ganja Bahari kris blade

Can anyone tell me the reason / meaning of this odd shaped ganja of a Bahari kris blade? The flattened area is seen on both sides.
Attached Images

Paul B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 05:39 PM   #2
GIO

Clearly not the original ganja
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
Clearly not the original ganja
I think it is!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2018, 08:04 PM   #4
Paul B.

Yes but then again why is the surface 'uneven' towards the part with the greneng?
Old 31st May 2018, 08:15 PM   #5
Jean

I am with Gio, it seems that the tail of the ganja has been gouged to mate with the greneng on the wadidang. Another indicator is that the top face of the ganja does not match well with the bottom face of the blade and the ganja is much thicker than the blade on the back side.
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 01:35 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Of course there is always the possibility of poor craftsmanship. The iron seems a pretty good match between the two parts in color and texture and the carving of the greneng seems equally bad in both the gonjo and the body of the keris. Not every keris is made by an expert smith. Is it not possible that the gonjo does not match well to the bottom of the wilah simply because the smith did not have the skills to do it properly.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2018, 06:59 PM   #7
GIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Of course there is always the possibility of poor craftsmanship. The iron seems a pretty good match between the two parts in color and texture and the carving of the greneng seems equally bad in both the gonjo and the body of the keris. Not every keris is made by an expert smith. Is it not possible that the gonjo does not match well to the bottom of the wilah simply because the smith did not have the skills to do it properly.
Hi David,
I respect your opinion, but I cannot understand why the smith should have designed the greneng differently from the wadidang. If he has shown a certain ability when carving the wadidang, has he lost his skill when making the
ganja ? Here we see a completely different design which, though acceptable in a Panjang keris, does not explain the lack of match. IMVHO the original ganja probably went lost and was replaced with that belonging to another blade.
The ganja shows also a kind of step which I have never seen before
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2018, 07:41 AM   #8
Paul B.

It was not the ganja itself why I started the thread (to me it still looks okay) but the 'step' which Gio pointed out. I did not know how to address it but 'step' is best applicable.
The upper 2 greneng are worn the last one on the wadidang still okay and matches well with the ones at the tail of the ganja. So still clueless.
Attached Images

Old 4th June 2018, 12:42 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIO
If he has shown a certain ability when carving the wadidang, has he lost his skill when making the ganja? Here we see a completely different design which, though acceptable in a Panjang keris, does not explain the lack of match.
I am afraid i do not see a much greater skill set applied to the wadidang here as opposed to the gonjo.

Last edited by David; 5th June 2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: spelling...
David is offline   Reply With Quote