Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th December 2005, 10:23 PM   #91
Ahriman

Thanks, PM sent...
BTW, that "jumble of letters" means that I can write whatever I want as far as it looks good and say that it's "magical" enhancement?
Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2006, 08:39 PM   #92
Aqtai

Smile

Hi Ahriman, how is your Krug getting along?

Anyway, I recently bought "Armes et Armures Russes" (Editions d'Art Aurore, Leningrad, 1982) which has a number of pictures of Russian armour and weapons.

This was one of the photos. I'm hoping it will bring some sort of closure to the greave/vambrace debate:

I think that the item in this photo does look more like a greave than a vambrace.
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 01:26 AM   #93
Dom

Hi
your request was; "to post as much pictures/drawings of armour from outside europe, especially from the middle-east"
this answer doesn't came very fast, but at least not the last may be
a part of my little treasures

à +

Dom

Attached Images

Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2006, 07:44 AM   #94
Titus Pullo

Nice pictures of armors and the info, you guys! I woder if these guys ever get fungus rot wearing so much and tight armors? I'm sure that would be a huge problem when you come to Southeast Asia. It's wet and hot all year round! They only have two seasons in the tropics...wet and dry season. During the dry season, it gets pretty hot, and it's still very wet and humid than anything Europeans had ever experienced. And during the wet, or the monsoon, season it rains a lot...until the entire forest, cities, and towns are flooded. And not to mention all the biting insects...difficult to scratch if you're wearing armors! [chuckle] The American GI's, who fought in Vietnam, came back and tell the stories of how hot and wet it is, and that they were suffering from severe fungus infection! [laugh!] It was a very difficult to move about because of the amount of water and undergrowth.

And I like to make note on the use of armored elephants, though. Elephants are very difficult animals to control because they are bright and probably are aware of what's going on around them. They can feel stress caused by the environments! In that sense they are very dangerous! They kill more zookeepers than any animals in zoos. Stories of Indian elephants killing their mahouts virulently and grusomely by squshing him in a small basket, or teared off the head, or limbs are not uncommon! The use of elephants as tanks is overly exaggerated. When elephants are angry and in pain they will kill everyone, your troops including, not just the enemies. They are used primarily as psychological weapons because being big animals, they would scare the enemies' troops.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote