Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Flavio

Default My first moro kris

Hello, this is my first moro and i have trade it with another member: i'm very happy and i think that is a very beauty!!
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 10:19 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Congratulations

Congratulations -- beware, these are addictve.

Perhaps a Yakan example judging from the scabbard and small metal ferrule on the hilt. Nice wrap to the hilt.

I'm sure others will have more comments.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Flavio

[QUOTE=Ian]beware, these are addictve. [QUOTE]

I hope Ian, i hope
Old 23rd March 2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Default Yin Yang

Flavio

It's a funny world I see you are selling off some of your African and you are buying Moro I on the other had are selling my Moro stuff and am buying African. This is very Yin Yang. I love Italian food so does this mean you like kosher deli ( a nice pastrami sandwich on rye with a Dr. Browns cream soda)lol. Btw it's a very nice kris congrats. That's Brooklyn humor

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Flavio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Flavio

It's a funny world I see you are selling off some of your African and you are buying Moro I on the other had are selling my Moro stuff and am buying African. This is very Yin Yang. I love Italian food so does this mean you like kosher deli ( a nice pastrami sandwich on rye with a Dr. Browns cream soda)lol. Btw it's a very nice kris congrats. That's Brooklyn humor

Lew

Lew, unfortunatly i never eat kosher deli, but i'm sure that is good and anyway i'm a very good fork . Yes i'm trying to differentiate my collection.
Old 24th March 2006, 01:42 AM   #6
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Flavio

Lew
Boys, if you need a superlative pastrami sandwich with a new pickle (and, of course, Dr. Brown's cream soda or cherry soda), you have to come to Ann Arbor: I'll take you to Zingerman's. According to all the culinary magazines, this is the best deli in the US.
Lew, Brooklyn takes a distant, very distant, second.... It is like a rusty African knife or a touristy barong to a Damascus Shashka
No offense meant.
On the second thought.... yes, it WAS meant
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 01:58 AM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A VERY NICE WAY TO START A COLLECTION OF MORO KRIS , VERY NICE WIRE WORK ON THE GRIP AND A VERY DISTINTIVE SCABBARD I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE QUITE LIKE IT. THE USE OF DIFFERENT COLORS OF FIBER TO FORM A PATTERN LOOKS ALMOST DAYAK, THEY USE DIFFERENT COLORS AND PATTERNS IN THEIR BASKETS. THEY SOMETIMES USE INTRICATE FIBER KNOTS TO HOLD THEIR SCABBARDS TOGETHER AND WITH PITCH TO HOLD COLORED TUFTS OF HAIR ON THEIR SCABBARDS. A INTERESTING AND ATTRACTIVE FIRST MORO KRIS WITH POSSIBLE NON PHILIPPINE INFLUENCES

DELI FOOD REAL FOOD IS BBQ, STEAK, FRIED CHICKEN AND CATFISH!!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 02:25 AM   #8
LabanTayo

somebady say BBQ? then you need to come to Kansas City. Arthur Bryants, Gates and LC's. the cooks that chop up the burnt ends would feel real comfortable with a binangon or mandau.
and for steaks, we have the Majestic and Hereford House.
for fried chicken....definitely Strouds.
food is my first love, then sharp pointy things..

moro kris:
the wire wrapped circles seem similar to this one:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2104

any coincidence?
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 01:01 PM   #9
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Boys, if you need a superlative pastrami sandwich with a new pickle (and, of course, Dr. Brown's cream soda or cherry soda), you have to come to Ann Arbor: I'll take you to Zingerman's. According to all the culinary magazines, this is the best deli in the US.
Lew, Brooklyn takes a distant, very distant, second.... It is like a rusty African knife or a touristy barong to a Damascus Shashka
No offense meant.
On the second thought.... yes, it WAS meant
Sorry to digress, but a believe a gauntlet has been dropped (note how i try to tie my digression into weapons terminology )
The idea that you can find better kosher deli in Ann Arbor than you can in NYC is like buying a Moro keris that's been made in.......well....Ann Arbor.
And i really don't mean any offense. Just the facts, ma'am.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking FOOD FIGHT !!

Shelley , you're making my stent ache !!
I love all that good stuff !

You guys can sit around and jawbone about food ; but I'm looking at the hilt wrap and thinking about this also :

// now pardon me while I gorge on Stone Crab and Grouper ..
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 04:58 PM   #11
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

WHILE OFF TOPIC I CAN'T RESIST MENTIONING THE TIMONIUM GATHERING, A GREAT SHOW WITH LOTS OF TOP QUALITY ETHINOGRAPHIC WEAPONS, THE GATHERING AND PRESENTATIONS, HANGING OUT WITH ALL THE OTHER COLLECTORS AND LOOKING AT SOME OF THEIR COOL TREASURES. AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST THE SEAFOOD IN BALTIMORE NOTABLY THE CRAB CAKES , IT DON'T GET MUCH BETTER THAN THAT!!
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 05:29 PM   #12
LabanTayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabanTayo
moro kris:
the wire wrapped circles seem similar to this one:

any coincidence?

rick, beat ya to it.

i have seen this wire wrap on moro/philippine swords before.

ooohh..seafood. you might have me beat against our bbq.
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 06:11 PM   #13
Andrew

Cool

Very nice kris!

Now that I've made the obligatory (but deserved) on-topic comment, let me suggest that gastronomic nirvana may only be found on a path running through Philadelphia. Specifically, a "steak wit" (Cheesesteak sandwich with onions) from Steve's Prince of Steaks at Bustleton & Cottman in the Northeast.

Yum.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 06:25 PM   #14
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
Very nice kris!

Now that I've made the obligatory (but deserved) on-topic comment, let me suggest that gastronomic nirvana may only be found on a path running through Philadelphia. Specifically, a "steak wit" (Cheesesteak sandwich with onions) from Steve's Prince of Steaks at Bustleton & Cottman in the Northeast.

Yum.
Yes Andrew, but aren't we comparing the proverbial apple with the orange?
Back on topic, my question would be that if Eftihis' sword is from Africa or the Sinai, who taught whom this wrap? Is it traditional to other Moro swords or are it's origins further east?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 07:11 PM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Let's get back to swords quickly ; I can feel my arteries clogging just from *reading* this thread .
Old 24th March 2006, 07:18 PM   #16
Tim Simmons

Fish and Chips
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2006, 07:22 PM   #17
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Fish and Chips
<Grabs chest and goes reeling off looking for sublingual nitro tabs .... thud !>
Old 24th March 2006, 08:40 PM   #18
Flavio

You american guys always eat steaks You have to try a good plate of SPAGHETTI AGLIO, OLIO E PEPERONCINO!!! You will like it!!!!!
Old 24th March 2006, 09:04 PM   #19
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

PEPERONCINO!!!

I'll have mine with shrimps and pesto grazie .

By the way ; what is the consensus on the gangya of this kris ?
Old 7th June 2011, 09:27 PM   #20
ThePepperSkull

Wanted to up this thread in particular because of the weaving done on the Scabbard. Like Ian, I wonder if this could be a Yakan piece -- at least in terms of the weaving on the scabbard, but that brings me to a question:

I am aware that the Yakans preferred the Pira over other blades, and that there are several examples of Yakan-made Barung (I assume due to the expansion of the Sulu Sultanate and the settling of the Bajau people in Basilan).... But were the Yakan ever known to use Kris? It had just occured to me that I have not seen a Yakan Kris nor do I know if they exist. (potentially aside from this piece, but it could very well just be a re-binding of a kris from elsewhere like Sulu)

If they do exist, would this piece be an example of a Yakan Kris? If not, what features would they have to typify them as originating from Yakan in terms of manufacture? And if they did not exist at all aside from recycling Sulu kris, why did the Kris not catch on in Basilan amonst the Yakans like the Barung did?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 09:44 PM   #21
Maurice

I've had a moro kris with similar windings once in a few years ago I believe...
It also had this horsehoof like pommel, with pieces of MOP.

According the little holes in Flavio's pommel, I think it could be likely that it had MOP pieces also in the past...??
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 10:44 PM   #22
Dom

Flavio congratulations, nice shot
really, beautiful dagger
but beware, already you put a finger,
then hand will pass though soon,
then the arm ... and it's too late ... you are fucked

à +

Dom
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 11:11 PM   #23
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice
I've had a moro kris with similar windings once in a few years ago I believe...
It also had this horsehoof like pommel, with pieces of MOP.

According the little holes in Flavio's pommel, I think it could be likely that it had MOP pieces also in the past...??
Yes I would concur - MOP panels in those places in my experience. MOP was used in the start of the 20th century for the most part.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 05:43 AM   #24
DaveA

Default Katz's Deli NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nechesh
Sorry to digress, but a believe a gauntlet has been dropped (note how i try to tie my digression into weapons terminology )
The idea that you can find better kosher deli in Ann Arbor than you can in NYC is like buying a Moro keris that's been made in.......well....Ann Arbor.
And i really don't mean any offense. Just the facts, ma'am.
I know Zingermans and w/o a doubt they make a sandwich to die for. But I have to vote for NYC for best deli in the US.

Katz's deli
http://katzsdelicatessen.com/
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 06:49 AM   #25
Amuk Murugul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Yes I would concur - MOP panels in those places in my experience. MOP was used in the start of the 20th century for the most part.
Hullo everybody,

Just to add:
Pearl started to be commercially harvested off the coast of West Australia (Roebuck Bay, Broome) about 1861 using Aboriginal and Islander divers. In the 1870s, divers from Asia were used; Malays, Japanese, Filipino etc.
During this period, MOP was an important commodity, being used for buttons, cutlery etc.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 02:10 PM   #26
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
I know Zingermans and w/o a doubt they make a sandwich to die for. But I have to vote for NYC for best deli in the US.

Katz's deli
http://katzsdelicatessen.com/
Finally, after all this time, someone came to their senses and agreed with me...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 02:58 PM   #27
A.alnakkas

Congratulations, such a beautiful piece! I used to consider arab shamshirs (syrian and najdi) to have the best looking hilts. My view is completely changed the more I study the Keris. I must say that the craftmanship in a keris is one of the most beautiful. Too bad that I am cowering from buying a keris, I still need more studying.

Sorry for the hijack but can you point out what makes a Keris a Moro piece then any other philipino tribe? I always get impressed by the expertise of our members when they identify a Keris right to the ethnicy and tribe. You guys are a treasure!
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2011, 08:15 PM   #28
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

To differentiate between the Moro and the Indo/Malay examples here on the forum at least, it avoids confusion to spell the Moro variety as 'Kris' and the Indo variety as 'Keris' .

Moro Krisses are discussed here in the Ethno Forum and Indonesian and Malay keris are discussed in the Warung .

The Moro krisses have a certain brutal efficiency to them; close combat slashing blades; some are indeed lovely .

I collected both; now I pretty much focus only on the Keris .

Be careful; addictive stuff !

Rick
Old 14th June 2011, 08:21 PM   #29
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Congratulations, such a beautiful piece! I used to consider arab shamshirs (syrian and najdi) to have the best looking hilts. My view is completely changed the more I study the Keris. I must say that the craftmanship in a keris is one of the most beautiful. Too bad that I am cowering from buying a keris, I still need more studying.

Sorry for the hijack but can you point out what makes a Keris a Moro piece then any other philipino tribe? I always get impressed by the expertise of our members when they identify a Keris right to the ethnicy and tribe. You guys are a treasure!

I believe the only real Kris bearing group were the Moros .

There were and are sinuous blades around here and there in the central and Northern islands and reworked kris conversions from trade or capture .

Rick
Old 16th June 2011, 01:03 PM   #30
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I believe the only real Kris bearing group were the Moros.
Perhaps A.alnakkas is referring to member's abilities to ID specific Moro tribes such as the Maguindanao, Maranao or Tausug. It must be remembered that the Moro are not all one people or culture.
David is offline   Reply With Quote