Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Freddy

Question Orientation of the grip of this keris

I recently bought what I think is a Bugis keris. Unfortunately without sheath, but it's still a nice piece.

The position of the handle looked a bit 'akward' to me. I had quite some trouble getting it off the blade. The peksi was bent.

I was able to straighten it without causing damage, but now I'm wondering what would be the best position of the handle for this type of keris.

I'm sure some of our keris-loving forum members could 'enlighten' me.

Here are some pics : first the piece as I got it, secondly a pic of the 'bent' peksi.

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 08:15 PM   #2
kulbuntet

Hi Fredy,

I do also think it's a bugis from sulawesi, but im no expert. But stil i can see the garuda on the sorsoran(V shape). I have one like it, but without luk.

Her a pic, how it's mounted.

You have to twist the hilt till it is in comfort in your hand. I hope it is clear for you, iff not tel us and one of us wil try to help. One knows a bit..all know a lot.

Regards and congrats...nice blade and willah. Maybe someone can help you with a sheath(sarong)...try out and you wil know.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 09:57 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

That's a nice looking Bugis keris. Kulbuntet's photo should set you straight, but he is also right that the exact postion will depend on what is most comfortable in your hand. It should be based on that grip in the photo though.
On of our Peninsula area friends might be able to put you on to a new sheath, but i suspect that it will cost you quite a bit more than the price you paid for the keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2008, 11:46 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

I believe that the original position of the grip on this keris was correct.

I have seen a number of examples of this type of keris with the grip apparently reversed. I own two myself, both of which were very old acquisitions into Australia, and the hilts were fitted with damar, that is, they were glued into place with a natural resin.

I have also seen at least one old photograph showing a keris like this being worn.

The tang on these Bugis type keris nearly always seems to be bent to some degree, I doubt that I have ever pulled a keris of the generic Bugis type apart and found it with a straight tang--- and I've taken apart one hell of a lot of these keris.

I do not know exactly where, when or why these keris have reversed grips, but it is absolutely certain that they do exist and the reversed grip is correct.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:15 AM   #5
kulbuntet

To Allan,

I know that the sulawesi buginese do take off their hilt sometimes, when they are a guest in some ones house, or court. So that they can't use their keris....

Could it be like that? I think that it is difficult to hold/use the keris like that.

Allan is right about the fact that sometimes bugi kerisses show the reversed grip. I always thought it was just fitted wrong.
kulbuntet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:43 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Any Bugis keris that came out of S.E. Asia a long time ago, and that I have handled, have always had the hilt fixed very firmly, more often than not with damar.

Possibly these reversed grip keris were used in a different manner, or worn like that for a particular reason. It occurs to me that it would be a very practical way to mount a keris hilt for somebody working around ropes, such as a seaman.
A. G. Maisey is online now   Reply With Quote